More information on Beebo Russell, who stole the Q400

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't realize that 121 planes weren't refueled when they were done for the day.
I used to work night shift on the ramp for an FBO and we handled all the fuel for the 121 operator on the field. At that time they had 5 or 6 inbound flights every evening and all those aircraft would overnight at the gates. One of our jobs was to 'preload' all those aircraft before the end of our shift at midnight. Preloading meant we would top the wings and put (IIRC) 2400lbs in the center tank. Then when the crews showed up in the morning, they'd look at the weather and manifest and do their 121 pilot magic before they'd come up with what they wanted for a final fuel load. Preloading made it a lot easier for everyone to get pushed on time in the morning because the morning guys would only have to put on a few thousand pounds of fuel instead of whole 20k-30k load.

It's a long ways from the well thought out logic of the plan to "warning red weapons free" - It's why the skies around the DC SFRA / FRZ and every TFR isn't raining Cessna branded metal every weekend. The OODA loop is complex and remote before anyone is pulling a trigger. Likely so long that any evil-dooers will do the evil they do before a a decision is made and communicated. Security theatre.
I agree completely. I was commenting on the law enforcement element of the post I quoted.

I apologize for mixing facts in with the politics. But for people interested in Chicago's experiment with gun control:

https://www.npr.org/2017/10/05/555580598/fact-check-is-chicago-proof-that-gun-laws-don-t-work
Rotfl. The conclusion is that we can’t say Chicago’s Gun laws aren’t working because we don’t know what the crime rates would be without them. Priceless. I mean assault and battery are already crimes regardless of the weapon used, but more laws specifically against guns will work this time for sure.

Rotfl. The conclusion is that we can’t say Chicago’s Gun laws aren’t working because we don’t know what the crime rates would be without them. Priceless. I mean assault and battery are already crimes regardless of the weapon used, but more laws specifically against guns will work this time for sure.

You should reread it. That's not what it says.

I don’t think that logic works. There’s plenty of collateral damage from law enforcement actions.
Plenty? I'm not seeing plenty of collateral damage from law enforcement. Certainly nothing on the order of what a missile that misses its target, or the falling debris from a missile that hits its target, would cause. Most big city departments won't even engage in pursuits for non-violent felonies.

More blaming Indiana and Wisconsin for more lax laws. But again, do the people committing crimes abide by laws? Why did a 13 yr old have a gun at 1:30 on a monday morning? Well, due to the pandemic and Chicago not having in person learning until late April (only grades 9-12 even had in person learning) probably didnt help. But if someone is going to break the law of shooting someone with a gun, theyre certainly going to get around whatever law in whatever state to get said gun. Whether it be theft or otherwise. If someone wants to steal a plane, they'll figure out a way. In this case he was trustworthy for a three and a half years. Did we ban fertilizer sales after OKC? At a certain point sometimes you've done all you can. I'm not saying that's the case here, and I dont like being resigned to things, but sometimes you just can't beat human ingenuity no matter what you do.

If you apologize before you fart it doesn’t change the fact that you just farted.

thanks for the great article. How about you stop now.

I will never fire first, but neither will I hesitate to correct lies or misinformation. :)

Buying a gun out of state particularly hand guns is a federal crime unless shipped to a dealer in your state…then again criminals don’t care…but who cares about the law in Chicago…dumb argument blaming it on the surrounding states…but back to this…lost my Arrow to a probable suicide…this guy is no hero…

Buying a gun out of state particularly hand guns is a federal crime unless shipped to a dealer in your state…then again criminals don’t care…but who cares about the law in Chicago…dumb argument blaming it on the surrounding states…but back to this…lost my Arrow to a probable suicide…this guy is no hero…

You're right about the criminals not caring but (from a federal perspective) you are allowed to buy a long gun (rifle/shotgun) from states that adjoin yours without having to use a dealer in your state for transfer. Go beyond your neighboring states and it's back to mail it to your dealer. YMMV if your state has more stringent laws.

Handguns have to be bought in your state (unless you're like me with a C&R FFL then they just mail them to your house :D )

IN case no one told you, firearms are freely available outside Chicago and can be easily transported into the city. Obviously you missed that bit.

It sounds like you're agreeing with the statement that it isn't working.

Or are you suggesting that the only way to stop to stop airplane theft is to outlaw all airplanes?

It sounds like you're agreeing with the statement that it isn't working.
It is not and cannot. The problem is simple at its face. There is gun violence, the citizenry calls for relief. The leaders do the easy thing, and pass firearm restrictions, which do roughly nothing since firearms can travel freely.

The hard thing to do is to relieve the poverty that promotes crime and firearm violence. But no one in this country really knows how to do that.

Last edited:
Creating more paperwork for farmers and zero real barriers for evil doers. Might as well register diesel fuel while you're at it (and gasoline and everything else). It's for the children. :eek:

You're moving the goalposts. The OP implied nothing had been done. Something had been done. Efficacy is another question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back