More helo training videos

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Flew again this weekend and even though the winds were very gusty I had a great time and made some progress. Worked on normal approaches, steep approaches, then we did some cross wind work including landing with gusty cross/tailwinds. That is a new exercise in horror to be sure!!! But my hovering was better, my control of the helo was pretty good. I know have 7.5hours of time in the R44.

I made the videos shorter this time to limit the amount of time viewer are bored.

hope you like.

Last edited:
Good job! I can hear in your voice you're working your butt off there. Gotta mentally tell yourself to relax and release pressure on the controls. As your CFI said, small smooth inputs.

Looks like fun, but really stressful too perhaps.

Your instructor sounds like he would be really easy to get along with and sounds like a great teacher.

Good job! I can hear in your voice you're working your butt off there. Gotta mentally tell yourself to relax and release pressure on the controls. As your CFI said, small smooth inputs.

I was able to use a lot less pressure this time. It was funny when I first started I was so light on my control input I was barely making them in time. But these videos where in gusty winds. So I was working, but was lighter on the controls. I am really starting to get comfortable in the helo and starting to get a real feel for what is happening with it at any time. Just under an two hours ago I could not have done those peddle turns with tailwinds and stay in the same 5'x5' box. I would have blown far away.

Looks like fun, but really stressful too perhaps.

Your instructor sounds like he would be really easy to get along with and sounds like a great teacher.
Eric is a really good instructor. I am quit impressed with his ability, tone and patience.

I told him that. He is also happy with me. He says I am ahead of the curve flying wise and is enjoying not having to teach all the radio, airspace, weather, etc. stuff that goes with student pilots taking up the helo. The funny thing is he has zero fixed wing time. I need to get him up in my plane to see how he does!

So Scott how much of your fixed wing experience translates to rotary wing aircraft? I'm not talking about understanding lift and the principals but the practical flying.

A lot of people don't realize how sensitive the controls on a helicopter are. Coming from fixed wing, homebuilts at that, I've never flown anything as maneuverable as a helicopter. Never flown an R22 but I can tell you in the 407, you think the turn and you're doing it. Sensitivity and instability is a great combo!

Very cool Scott. Keep up the good work, keep that CFI "happy". :lol:

A couple of hours in a helo on my bucket list. :yes:

Looks fun. And continues my goal of staying far away from the helicopter FBO or my wallet would be rapidly drained. ;)

Back