More GoPro fun....in a twin...

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I posted the SuperCub flight earlier. This is a video of the flight to Stanton (KSYN) in the Twin Geronimo...

Edit: Updated to correct audio sync

Last edited:
very cool - lived in Apple Valley 2005-2007... Used to pass that airport all the time...always dreamed about flying in and out of there. :) I bet MN is sure pretty from the air.

very cool - lived in Apple Valley 2005-2007... Used to pass that airport all the time...always dreamed about flying in and out of there. :) I bet MN is sure pretty from the air.

It's a nice airport. Although from Apple Valley KLVN is probably more convenient.

brings back great memories of flying out of kfcm!

go Thunderbird! :)

How were you able to get both engine sounds and radio communications recorded on the same video?

Now that I am watching it closer, it looks like your radio communications are not exactly in sync. Did you use a portable recorder to record the radio communications and had the video camera pick-up the airplane sounds? And then marry them up later in the editor?

Last edited:
How were you able to get both engine sounds and radio communications recorded on the same video?

Now that I am watching it closer, it looks like your radio communications are not exactly in sync. Did you use a portable recorder to record the radio communications and had the video camera pick-up the airplane sounds? And then marry them up later in the editor?

Yes, I would also like to know what audio setup you use.

Busted!! This was a quick edit in the GoPro Studio software and it won't let me fine tune the placement of the audio track sufficiently. A better editor would make it a simple task, but I've figured out a work around the next time I record.

I bought a Tascam digital recorder and plug it into one of the unused headset jacks in the plane with a 1/4" to 1/8" cable. That records all the headset audio while the GoPro captures the ambient sounds. It always annoyed me to watch a flying video and not being able to hear the airplane sounds when the GoPro was hooked up to the audio panel! I had to find an alternative.

Next time I'll do a 1-2-3 count with fingers and audio, match them up, then trim both out of the video!

Busted!! This was a quick edit in the GoPro Studio software and it won't let me fine tune the placement of the audio track sufficiently. A better editor would make it a simple task, but I've figured out a work around the next time I record.

I bought a Tascam digital recorder and plug it into one of the unused headset jacks in the plane with a 1/4" to 1/8" cable. That records all the headset audio while the GoPro captures the ambient sounds. It always annoyed me to watch a flying video and not being able to hear the airplane sounds when the GoPro was hooked up to the audio panel! I had to find an alternative.

Next time I'll do a 1-2-3 count with fingers and audio, match them up, then trim both out of the video!

Sorry! You might have gotten away with it if you were looking away from the camera and hid your PTT from view. ;)

I have made some videos with either cockpit or radio communication sounds but not both. I thought someone found an easy way of doing it. The editing of a separate sound track is a royal pain.

Sorry! You might have gotten away with it if you were looking away from the camera and hid your PTT from view. ;)

I have made some videos with either cockpit or radio communication sounds but not both. I thought someone found an easy way of doing it. The editing of a separate sound track is a royal pain.

There are some software plug-ins for the better video editors that will automatically sync sound tracks. But I think I can get it pretty close without too much effort with just a little forethought. I'll let you know if I'm right the next time I do some videos!

Here's the return flight with a soft/shortfield take-off...and the audio properly sync'd!

Thanks for the videos! looked like a great day for flying and soaring.

I noticed the taxi on the closed runway for departure (did not have the sound up) and the narrow space between runways to hold one airplane. I pulled up the airport diagram for a look. Listening to the ATIS inbound, that's a lot of closed taxiways. A lot of pre winter maintenance?

Also noticed a lot of priming and throttle jockey for engine start. Is that normal for those engines?

I noticed the recent changes to the MSP Class B. Gald you were able to keep a cut out for the glider airfield.

I have yet to figure out why the need 4000 MSL out to 30nm. They just did the same thing at ORD. We just completed a Class B change at LAS (Las Vegas) and ended up with lower floors and a new extended ring over the glider airfield at Jean (0L7).

The old Class B stopped at 20nm and 9000MSL. The new Class B lowered the space north of the field from 8000 to 7000 and added a new 80B100 out to 23nm over the club field. Makes it a little tougher to depart the area to the NW for soaring XC.

A trick I learned from watching numerous YouTube videos...just clap! It's easy to line up the video with the audio, then just edit that part out. They've been doing it in Hollyweird forever...the little clap board thingy they show when starting to record...Take one, snap!

Clap loudly at the end of the count in view of the video cameras. Gives you something to synch to.

What setting are you recording at. The distortion on the prop is very minimal. Every time I make a vid the prop comes out looking like a bunch of boomerangs.

Jack

Much nicer Loren! I will need to give that dual recording method a try.

Thanks for the videos! looked like a great day for flying and soaring.

I noticed the taxi on the closed runway for departure (did not have the sound up) and the narrow space between runways to hold one airplane. I pulled up the airport diagram for a look. Listening to the ATIS inbound, that's a lot of closed taxiways. A lot of pre winter maintenance?

Also noticed a lot of priming and throttle jockey for engine start. Is that normal for those engines?

They just shifted runway 18-36 50' to the north...originally they were going to add 150' but that ended up being canned. So we've gone six weeks without it for no net gain....actually a loss as they've eliminated the run-up areas we used to have on each end. Now, you just have to block a taxiway. There are a lot of expensive, stupid decisions made around airports.

The narrow hold short came about when the lengthened 28L. Any "improvement" requires you comply with all new FAA standards and the hold short lines weren't far enough from the runways. So now you BARELY have room for one aircraft between the parallels.

As for the jockeying, these were really cold and experience has shown it's the only way to reliably get them going. Seems each setup has its own "personality".

I noticed the recent changes to the MSP Class B. Gald you were able to keep a cut out for the glider airfield.

I have yet to figure out why the need 4000 MSL out to 30nm. They just did the same thing at ORD. We just completed a Class B change at LAS (Las Vegas) and ended up with lower floors and a new extended ring over the glider airfield at Jean (0L7).

The old Class B stopped at 20nm and 9000MSL. The new Class B lowered the space north of the field from 8000 to 7000 and added a new 80B100 out to 23nm over the club field. Makes it a little tougher to depart the area to the NW for soaring XC.

Yep, another example of stupidity in airport design. Most of the traffic out of MSP is well above 4,000' by the time they exit the center core of the Class B. There's no good reason for having those approach corridors down that low.

The net result for GA traffic is they keep you bumping along below 4,000' even on IFR departures when you're heading out in the direction of those extensions. It's idiotic.

What setting are you recording at. The distortion on the prop is very minimal. Every time I make a vid the prop comes out looking like a bunch of boomerangs.

I get that with my Hero2, but haven't with the Hero3 Black which it was I was using here. These were shot at the 1440 48fps setting. I really need to experiment with some of the other settings.

Next step will be to use the Hero 2 mounted on a strut to watch the glider during a tow! But that will likely have to wait until next season!

Much nicer Loren! I will need to give that dual recording method a try.

I noticed one anomaly....the sync shifted later in the recording. I suspect it may have something to do with the translation of the frame rates changing the video time. The recording time is probably spot on. It just means I have to resync the audio periodically, which isn't a big deal since there's plenty of dead time in that track.

I noticed one anomaly....the sync shifted later in the recording. I suspect it may have something to do with the translation of the frame rates changing the video time. The recording time is probably spot on. It just means I have to resync the audio periodically, which isn't a big deal since there's plenty of dead time in that track.

The compression codec algorithms aren't perfect. Therefore time sync between the video and audio tracks slips. We dealt with this in the videoconferencing world by forcing a re synch every so many packets. But that was real-time so it wasn't too hard to get everything lined back up. The longer a compressed video and a compressed audio stream are run side by side, the more error will be seen. Tiny little fractions of seconds off in the math adds up over a few minutes.

The compression codec algorithms aren't perfect. Therefore time sync between the video and audio tracks slips. We dealt with this in the videoconferencing world by forcing a re synch every so many packets. But that was real-time so it wasn't too hard to get everything lined back up. The longer a compressed video and a compressed audio stream are run side by side, the more error will be seen. Tiny little fractions of seconds off in the math adds up over a few minutes.

Makes sense....may have to clap more often!! :wink2:

My favorite "war story" for entertainment value from the videoconferencing support days was the customer who complained that one and only one conference room always had freezing video and resynchs and video problems but their corporate network was flawless and we knew it.

When we finally figured out there was a huge leafy tree out the window and they kept the blinds open, it all made sense. The wind would rustle the leaves and the codec couldn't keep up with all the individual pixel updates in HD mode. The solution?

Close the blinds.

My favorite "war story" for entertainment value from the videoconferencing support days was the customer who complained that one and only one conference room always had freezing video and resynchs and video problems but their corporate network was flawless and we knew it.

When we finally figured out there was a huge leafy tree out the window and they kept the blinds open, it all made sense. The wind would rustle the leaves and the codec couldn't keep up with all the individual pixel updates in HD mode. The solution?

Close the blinds.

So, if I had that problem, would I just stop the props??! :yikes:

Back