More Fun With Alternates

You have to file an alternate unless your destination has an approach and the weather one hour before to one hour after is expected to be 1000-3 or better.
If not, you have to find an alternate that is authorized and has forecast weather at 600-2 if it is an ILS or 800-2 for anything else.
That assumes the destination airport has an approach. No approach at destination, I forget the rules but I know you have to be able to get below the clouds to file.
How does that work?

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Negative. The case where the destination has no approach was covered in my first clause: If the destination doesn't have an approach, you have to ALWAYS file an alternate. There's no requirement for any particular weather at the destination, whether it has an approach or not. Of course, it kind of behooves you not to try the destination if you have good reason to believe you're not going to be able to make it, but for part 91-only ops, you're free to try.

What you may be thinking of is that you can use an airport without an approach as an alternate, but it' requires the weather to be forecast to be high enough that you can get down and in with basic VFR. I didn't mention that, because it's rare that you can make use of that.

Negative. The case where the destination has no approach was covered in my first clause: If the destination doesn't have an approach, you have to ALWAYS file an alternate. There's no requirement for any particular weather at the destination, whether it has an approach or not. Of course, it kind of behooves you not to try the destination if you have good reason to believe you're not going to be able to make it, but for part 91-only ops, you're free to try.

What you may be thinking of is that you can use an airport without an approach as an alternate, but it' requires the weather to be forecast to be high enough that you can get down and in with basic VFR. I didn't mention that, because it's rare that you can make use of that.

Yes.

Tim

Back