More from my old scrap book- The T-Craft

John J

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JPJ
The last note I wrote was my first instructional flight in a T-Craft that challenged me to solo it when I became 16 in 1960. I first flew the T-Craft when I was 15 and took most of my flying lessons in that bird. This T-Craft seemed to have a personality that if one was real careful it would make the sweetest landing in the world, but watch out if you looked the wrong way.

When I first soloed just after my 16th birthday, I soloed first in the J-3 for it was the easier of the two planes to fly for me. The T-Craft was next. Since I was in school and only could work at the airport on weekends I had to build up my"flying bank" of work hours. The big day would come two weeks later.

I was just as excited about soloing the T-Craft as the J-3. I liked that T-Craft for it was fast and could climb better. I also wanted to fly it for my first solo X-C when that time came. The day came and I was ready. Ed and I went out at the end of the day with a bit of wind that was stronger than the day of my first solo. He had me do a series of wheel landings and then asked for a 3 pointer. The T-Craft told both of us that this is not the day that for me to solo doing 3 point landings. Ed said "we will do it next time the wind today is just a little too much" It was gusting up to 15 at a 30 to 40 degree cross wind.

The gang at the airport said they would be waiting patiently to see me solo that T-Craft. The next week I was even more than ready. I came to work at the airport on a real nice Saturday. The flight school always took the paying students first and then I would get the last flight of the day. I looked at the schedule and found the T-Craft was being taken for two hours in the early afternoon by a new Naval Academy Grad for a sight seeing ride to see the fleet that was anchored off Annapolis. Ed said that I would fly right after he came back.

I spent the time washing and cleaning planes and looking at the sky for the T-Craft. Wow I wanted to fly that plane. Soon the clocked showed that the T-Craft was over due. Faces beside mine turned skyward. We looked and waited. Ed began to pace. Mrs P the flight school owner got worried. Now one hour over due, calls were made to local fields. Nothing seen.

Close to 1.5 hours over due, the phone rang and it was the pilot who took the T-Craft. He said he would be at the airport in 15 minutes. Of course we all wanted to know where he was but he said "see you in 15" We went back to our sky looking and listening. Two planes came in but not the T-Craft. Shortly after the second plane came in, a cab showed up and out jumped the new Navy Grad with a bag of wet clothes. "What happened" was asked and he said he was sorry that he had to ditch the T-Craft in the Chesapeake Bay when he was taking pictures of the fleet. He mentioned in a low voice, " about not putting on the carb heat" He also said he how got out for the plane by using all the training he had in the "Dilbert Dunker" He had over 15 hours in it. He said he was fine but appologized that he left the plane at the bottom of the Bay. Mrs. P. just said the insurance will give her more than she could get from selling it. Everyone was very relieved that he was fine. Ed said to me that we will fly the Champ that just joined the flight line, next week

As I went home on my bike that day I felt a loss for I had really grown to like that T-Craft even if I could not make great landings every time. It was the plane that would let you know right way if you were not paying attention. When I flew my first solo x-c in the Champ I flew over the area where it was ditched and wagged my wings in a salute to that bird that had taught me so much in my early flying.

Thank you for reading

John J

How sad that a nice T-craft would get totaled not due to its quirks, but due to such a silly mistake as not using carb heat... an old taildragger deserves a chance to die fighting. :D
Can't wait to hear how you made out with the Champ!:D

Rottydaddy;

Yes you are so right; Tail Draggers,( Conventional Gear when I was training) need to die fighting or at least with respect.
I see that you have a wonderful looking Champ behind you and gosh that does bring back some really nice memories of flying the Champ. It is a real sweet heart to fly. Yes I do have a story I will share about flying in a Champ on a very long x-c at least in time (13 hours gross time in a day, Whew). That trip is still one of my favorites. I bet you have a lot of nice Champ stories. I would like to read them.

John J

great story John, always nice to read yours.

Rottydaddy;

Yes you are so right; Tail Draggers,( Conventional Gear when I was training) need to die fighting or at least with respect.
I see that you have a wonderful looking Champ behind you and gosh that does bring back some really nice memories of flying the Champ. It is a real sweet heart to fly. Yes I do have a story I will share about flying in a Champ on a very long x-c at least in time (13 hours gross time in a day, Whew). That trip is still one of my favorites. I bet you have a lot of nice Champ stories. I would like to read them.

John J
Like any sweetheart, she will turn around and break your heart if you're not careful... :D

My fling with 70E was brief, and the legs were short, but we had some fun... I think I posted a write-up about that here at some point.

Yes, I did... multiple rambling posts. Here's a highlight:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16532&highlight=champ

Last edited:
Like any sweetheart, she will turn around and break your heart if you're not careful... :D

My fling with 70E was brief, and the legs were short, but we had some fun... I think I posted a write-up about that here at some point.

Yes, I did... multiple rambling posts. Here's a highlight:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16532&highlight=champ

Rottydaddy;

Your post brings back so manygreat memories of "Hard Right Rudder all ahead Standard"I had a very simular situation happen when one side of the tail wheel spring let go.. Lots of opposit rudder to keep it straight.. I was 16 when it happened. at 18 learning multi engine flying in a Cessna T-50 Bobcat ( Sky King) I had to dance very hard on those rudder peddles as we landed to keep the beast from being like a wild horse galloping down the runway. Scary.

John J

I can identify. Dad's first plane was a beautiful yellow and black T-Craft. It had all the fairings, pants, chrome grills and emblems, everything. I loved to fly with him in that plane. He later sold it and got a C-140. The guy that bought it pulled the mixture control instead of carb heat and of course the engine quit. He didn't realize what he had done and landed in a farm field. It was a 100 acre field with two trees in the middle about 20 feet apart. Right! He went right between the trees and took off the wings. The T-Craft was just parted out as it wasn't considered valuable enough to rebuild (this was in 1948).

Bruce

I feel sad that your Dad's T-Craft met it's end that way.:( The trees sadly were his "Aiming Point" . 100 acres is a very large landing pad for a T-Craft. I bet your T-Craft is very much like the one I saw here at KOSH in the Vintage Show. It is a real nice one.

I really enjoyed my short hours in the T-Craft for it really is a great plane to fly.

John J

Back