More Freebies

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
With Laurie doing such a nice thing with giving away the Comm1 Simulator I thought I would jump on the giving away band wagon.

I have a brand new, still in the plastic King Take Off video for VFR WX Flying.

I would like to give it to a VFR only pilot.

So it is up for grabs to the first VFR pilot that can answer the following question.

For fixed wing airplanes: How do I know if the airport I want to take off from will allow Special VFR if the WX minimum as defined 91.155 cannot be met?

**First to answer the question gets the video. I am the sole judge and I decide who has the right answer. There is no appeal of the my decision**

If I understand this correctly. Part 91.157 weather minimums will be used instead of Part 91.155 provided that you obtain a clearance (which ATC will not directly suggest), you're clear of clouds, and visibility is at least 1 statute mile. Under VFR, you can only get a clearance during daylight hours.

This only seems to apply for controlled airspace since class G has the same visibility and cloud clearances for day VFR.

Was I close?

With Laurie doing such a nice thing with giving away the Comm1 Simulator I thought I would jump on the giving away band wagon.

I have a brand new, still in the plastic King Take Off video for VFR WX Flying.

I would like to give it to a VFR only pilot.

So it is up for grabs to the first VFR pilot that can answer the following question.

For fixed wing airplanes: How do I know if the airport I want to take off from will allow Special VFR if the WX minimum as defined 91.155 cannot be met?

**First to answer the question gets the video. I am the sole judge and I decide who has the right answer. There is no appeal of the my decision**

Well, since I haven't had an IPC in years, I'm technically a VFR pilot, and this would have been my answer even before I had my IR: Look at the chart, if the airport is ringed by "T"s, there are no SVFR operations. I'll donate the tape to LRoberts.

Ringed by T's? Remind me what you mean.

Huh, it appears they may have given that up and now simply print "NO SVRF" LAX used to be ringed by "T"s with the leg pointing away from the airport.

Phew, had me worried! Almost thought I missed something in instrument training, lol ;)

Well, since I haven't had an IPC in years, I'm technically a VFR pilot, and this would have been my answer even before I had my IR: Look at the chart, if the airport is ringed by "T"s, there are no SVFR operations. I'll donate the tape to LRoberts.

That is the closest to what I was looking for. The basic "no SVFR". It is mentioned in 91.157(a) except as provided in Appendix D, section 3 of this part.....

It is also charted as "No SVFR" by the airport info box on the sectional.

I thought Tristan nearly had it and gave a good account of when SVFR could be asked for though.

Henning where do you want the tape shipped?

I guess I wasn't sure what you were asking but thats okay. I actualy had forgotten it was printed on a VFR chart. I've been working on IFR so much lately its good to be reminded.

Maybe so, but I'm still a student. And do be reminded of something else yourself, no matter who you are there are two facts in life: 1. No matter who you are (CFI or not) you are always learning and always being reminded of things. 2. You and everyone else are human...get over it, lol

In more technicaly speaking, even if you didn't see the "NOSVFR" on the chart you will still be reminded by tower who will deny SVFR clearance which coincides with one of the requirements of SVFR under my previously stated part 91.157.....so :p :)

Last edited:
Sorry I had to fix it, computer was being....a computer, hehe

Well. I'd ask--if they said no--I guess I can't do it. The busier the field is the less the chance of you getting a SVFR clearance.

If it's a really big ass airport. You just aren't going to get the clearance because they have to ensure IFR separation.

I've only used special VFR once. The ceiling was around 750 ft with a couple mile vis.

As I rotated the controller said "Cessna blah blah, Special VFR cancelled, field just went vfr, squawk 1200, good day"

I didn't much care for that. Yeah. It's VFR--Sort of. I'd rather blast out of there 5 feet below the clouds versus 500 though. One of them gives me a LOT more options if something goes wrong.

I guess I wasn't sure what you were asking but thats okay. I actualy had forgotten it was printed on a VFR chart. I've been working on IFR so much lately its good to be reminded.

I'll pass the tape on to you after it gets watched here. PM a shipping address if you want it.

Ya know thats actualy a neat idea. After one person is done we could forward it to someone else that requests it on a condition they'll pass it on to someone else on here. Kinda keep track of it maybe? Just an idea.

I'd gladly do it.

Well. I'd ask--if they said no--I guess I can't do it. The busier the field is the less the chance of you getting a SVFR clearance.

If it's a really big ass airport. You just aren't going to get the clearance because they have to ensure IFR separation.

I haven't really found that except for class B airports where they are charted NO SVFR. Where I have mostly used SVFR was getting through marine layer fog at busy C airports. I even used it on my Multi checkride at LGB.

Back