More expensive: One or Two?

Speaking of tie down/hangarage cost, man, an airplane is downright cheap compared to a wife. The airplane is perfectly satisfied with a hangar, which goes for $400 - $500 a month around here, while a wife wants a house. Ours would probably rent for $2700 or so, and then wives like things like kitchen renovations, which cost as much as an engine.

But if you pick the right wife they make more money than they consume. I haven’t been introduced to any airplanes that are net positive on a bank account once you acquire them.

But if you pick the right wife they make more money than they consume. I haven’t been introduced to any airplanes that are net positive on a bank account once you acquire them.

I think mine is now making more than she spends, but now daughter #1 is off at university, the yearly cost of which is frightening.

I think mine is now making more than she spends, but now daughter #1 is off at university, the yearly cost of which is frightening.

We had two in private school with the oldest in college. Then two in private school and they are now in college. :eek::eek::eek:

Which is why I don't own an airplane. I'm just happy I can rent and fly. :D

The oldest graduated several years ago, the middle one graduates this May and the youngest next May. That cash outflow gone and downsizing the house next year and I'm going go be in the market for a plane. :cool:

They have one of those two, but not at that rate.

That's why I made the comment. :)

Their Vision Jet rents for $1,345 / hr. + Vision Jet Experience Director ($550 - half day or $1,050 - full day). :eek:

Yeah, but you'd be going faster and have more seats. And you'd be flying a jet. It's cool that that is actually available.

There's also a place that rents Citation Mustangs for $1200/hr dry. And yes, if you do their training program you can get signed off to rent them solo.

https://angelcityflyers.com/our-fleet
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2018/february/pilot/turbine-rent-a-mustang

No, it's not a twin. But if $500 per hour is too much money, what would you consider a fair price for this FIKI twin, and what would that be? A late model Baron? Would you be willing to rent someone an airplane for flight into ice, and if you were, how much experience would you (and your insurer) require? Even a lowly VFR only pilot like me knows that flying into icy IFR is for experienced, current pilots only.

I can rent a Baron for $450/hr locally, and I consider that overpriced. A bit further away, there's a TwinStar that can be rented. Rates aren't published, but last I checked (admittedly, quite a while ago) it was right around $300/hr which I think is much more reasonable, being a new airplane with a glass cockpit.

No, it's not a twin. But if $500 per hour is too much money, what would you consider a fair price for this FIKI twin, and what would that be? A late model Baron? Would you be willing to rent someone an airplane for flight into ice, and if you were, how much experience would you (and your insurer) require? Even a lowly VFR only pilot like me knows that flying into icy IFR is for experienced, current pilots only.
"having" and "using" are different, which is why you don't see these for rent. I want these capabilities, but would plan it only as a last resort to escape.

Someone renting a plane doesn't really know what the person would be doing, so has to assume the worst and charge accordingly.

I still think a small ownership group could work, with the right folks.

I've got nowhere near the finances to consider this stuff for myself but as an outside observer...

1. Potentially you could blow an engine in both in the same year. Two engines would be pricey.
2. By the books, many of us don't put enough hours on one plane per yearyear e the TBO/10-12-15 years rule. Not that the calendar date rule for overhauls is anywhere near a hard rule, but that's the minimum time a year the manufacturers say you should be optimally running the engine. So would you be putting on enough hours to keep both engines utilized?

Back