more dang rain this wkd

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
I am sched for Sat-Sun-Mon. Tomorrow already looks bad. figures. I added Fri to this week, so next wkd is Fri-Sat-Sun.

isn't it something that I'm now sched 2-3x a week and still have only flown once? will I ever solo, let alone get my license? it's been just one big stop start the whole time. sigh.

Hang in there Liz - I know its frustrating as hell - been there done that and you shoulda seen some of my rants back when I was trying to get my long XC done. You just gotta stick it out - pretty soon the weather will lighten up and you'll be back up in the east coast haze again! :)

Or you can spend three weeks out here and fly everyday. Yesterday would have been a GREAT crosswind landings training session. 25G35, direct 90 across the runway. :D

Re: more dang wind this wkd

Brian Austin said:
Yesterday would have been a GREAT crosswind landings training session. 25G35, direct 90 across the runway. :D

typical spring weather here, I came into one place last night and it was 300/25 for runway 36.... arriving at destination #2, it was 360@30 for runway 30!
Just can't win. They were 200 miles apart.
At # 2, I noticed the crab angle on final put the runway outside the arc of the prop (as illuminated by the ldg light)!

Just about dust season down here. We've had lots of rain this spring, now blustery. The dust will blow in from West Texas soon, reducing visibility on a clear day to 10 miles....

wsuffa said:
Just about dust season down here. We've had lots of rain this spring, now blustery. The dust will blow in from West Texas soon, reducing visibility on a clear day to 10 miles....

In a month or two, the haze here will have me fantasizing about visibility as good as 10 miles :(

Joe Williams said:
In a month or two, the haze here will have me fantasizing about visibility as good as 10 miles :(

As you know, I learned to fly near Cincy. A GOOD day in the summer was 6 miles in haze. Down here in Texas, if it's 6 miles people think it's IFR weather. :D

just cancelled Saturday flight. may well cancel Sunday flight. Monday - too soon to tell.

Liz - IMO you should wait until as late as possible to cancel a flight due to WX. Forecasts are unpredictable and often the weather ends up better than predicted.

Don't cancel Sun . You're out of JYO right? Partly Cloudy isn't much to go on, 2 days in advance. :) That could mean 7SM BKN040 which is WAY plenty for some good pattern work.

no no, won't cancel Sunday until Sat night or even Sun morning. but it looks pretty grim for tomorrow morning.

I wonder if I'd be better off with wkd evenings, this spring? I typically have all mornings. maybe I should change many things, moving forward?

No - I don't think so. Mornings are generally more stable, weather wise, at least around here. After the sun has been up a while, the air gets less stable and haze increases as well, and it doesn't start settling down until later in the evening.

Morning flying is almost always nicer. :) We're just having a run of spring around here.

Hi Tony,

Here's my story:

I started in May 2003 and we literally sched for EVERY wkd except for the month of September when I was in South America. I managed to fit in only about 17 hours in 2003 - despite an every wkd sched. WEATHER. From May 3 through mid-July every weekend was a washout (during my time slot at least, which tended to be mornings). I flew once in May and not again until mid-July.

then 2004 came along and I've been battling illness all year. January-February was awful weather and I flew 3 times. early March I had emergency eye surgery, grounded me for 3 months. then the medical battles began, and after months of monitoring the regional flight surgeon granted it to me in October - but I still must do a SODA before soloing. I flew roughly 13 hours in all of 2004.

in November I flew, but came back from vacation (late November - went to Rome, saw the Pope, which means a lot to me now, more than ever) and decided to take the winter off for a variety of reasons. (in part because the crappy weather and flying once a month may end up being 3 steps forward, 2 back - so why bother, wait until spring).

I'm still sick, but getting better, so it should be fairly smooth sailing now. apart from the fact that I am now sched 2-3 times a week and still only flew once - last Saturday.

I'd be past solo by now at least had I not had the med issues. I feel pretty good in general (not perfect) and I know that consistency would have really helped me along.

so there you have it!! can't say I am not tenacious.

Last edited:
woodstock said:
so there you have it!! can't say I am not tenacious.

'Scuse me for butting in. You sound a lot like my friend here. She's followed a course similar to yours (except seeing the Pope) and is slowly beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's tough when you want something really bad and things outside of your control stand in your way. Just keep plugging along. You'll make it.

It looks like it's pretty bad wx a lot of places this weekend.

http://aviationweather.gov/data/iffdp/2020.gif

Elizabeth,

I agree with Carol, you will achieve your aviation goals. If perseverance were the only requirement, you would already be there.

Tony

Back