More craziness at KMYF

StinkBug

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Dallas
Ugh - what a mess. I was marveling at the intensity of the storm clouds off to the south earlier today, but didn't realize it was as bad as it was. :(

It was 108* at my house in Escondido this afternoon, then at about 4:30 it just started dumping rain, and the temp dropped by almost 25*. It's still really hot and humid here. Guess that system moved south and picked up some wind!

Here are the pictures that were sent to me. 499DR is part of our club and so is 7561E which is shown in that article.

Attachments

• imagejpeg95.jpg
    imagejpeg95.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 150
  • imagejpeg952.jpg
    imagejpeg952.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 138
  • imagejpeg953.jpg
    imagejpeg953.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 131
Weather seems to be getting crazier every year. Now I know why I have high limit insurance.

Weather seems to be getting crazier every year.

Yeah, now mix that with the fact that they are not use to dealing with a tropical storm off the coast, and that completes the picture.:hairraise:
Ask any of our SE members what they do when a storm gets that close and I bet the answer will not be a tie down on the ramp.

Truely sad...

I texted my instructor at KMYF, he said he didn't hear of any damage to the schools planes that I use, but overall not good. News reports said an entire hangar was ripped from its moorings as well, damaging the plane inside. Was the craziest storm I have seen in SD!

-Brian

I still do not understand how a airplane that was CHAINED DOWN gets flipped over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still do not understand how a airplane that was CHAINED DOWN gets flipped over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On one of the news videos they showed one of the S-links on the chains. It was stretched out to the point the tie-down came off the plane. Other chains were reported snapped in half.

-Brian

Reported 70+mph straight line winds, it was a really intense, fast moving cell.

'Gimp

On the news they showed the RV that jumped the fence and landed on the cars with the chain still attached to the tail. Broke it loose from the ground. As for storms getting close, I dont think anybody expected this at all. The entire day was extremely hot, but totally clear, then this cell suddenly showed up. Yes there is a big storm in Baja, but that's really not that close and nobody has said anything about it effecting us in a significant way. There really wasn't much of any warning, and that's certainly not a normal weather phenomena here.

Curious though, what would those SE guys do when a storm gets close?

Curious though, what would those SE guys do when a storm gets close?

Fly them out of the area (some of the insurance companies will pay the cost). :yes: If that's not an option then try to get into a hangar, but I have seen damage from this option. It's better then leaving it exposed to the storm...:yesnod:

Last edited:
Yeah, sad. It sounds like my CFI's Decathlon got torn up, too, according to the club site. :(

Weather seems to be getting crazier every year. Now I know why I have high limit insurance.

Memory is just short attention span. There was a huge squall last year that lasted for an hour about the same time last year -- maybe closer to October. I' always remember getting rain storms out here when school started which would be now.

I will say, however, we've had two or three thunderstorms this year and it's the first time in about 10 years I've heard that much thunder.

I'm always timid to say I feel like something is worse or crazier as I remember people always saying that. We always forget about the previous year much less those before :)

Yeah, sad. It sounds like my CFI's Decathlon got torn up, too, according to the club site. :(

A friend who is also a Plus One CFI posted the photos on FB....very sad to see Glenn's Decathlon like that.

Guessing this is the shot Fearless is talking about, very sad....

10672330_10152453500622800_3979533223232054515_n_zpsc2968405.jpg

'Gimp

:( I was gonna take my tailwheel endorsement and acrobatic training in her.

I see that Decathalon all the time at KMYF. Very sad to see it like that. Such a beautiful plane!!

-Brian

I see that Decathalon all the time at KMYF. Very sad to see it like that. Such a beautiful plane!!

-Brian

Yep, he took great care of that plane. Sucks :( He said the hangar it was near during the time actually moved and came toward them. Crazy, crazy wind.

They better get the damaged C-310, RV-6 and Piper whatever on the transient ramp secured since it looks like another one brewing out east over Julian. Although it looks to be moving N to S for now.

'Gimp

The weather was crazy! I had gone to the airport yesterday to drop a friend off who flew in, I contemplated flying myself but had too many things to do for school. My friend texted me to tell me the controllers told her she got out right in time - that winds were gusting up to 50 kts :eek: I (very wisely :rolleyes:) was outside during the gnarliest part of it, and was quite happy to be on the ground.

I pulled up the pics and swear I heard Avemco crying in the background......

Welcome to a taste of our weather boys. We just had one blow through with 60 mph winds and a bow echo forming and heading towards Clinton muni Airport.

The weather was crazy! I had gone to the airport yesterday to drop a friend off who flew in, I contemplated flying myself but had too many things to do for school. My friend texted me to tell me the controllers told her she got out right in time - that winds were gusting up to 50 kts :eek: I (very wisely :rolleyes:) was outside during the gnarliest part of it, and was quite happy to be on the ground.

I saw the gusts on the METAR and had to text my instructor to see if that was actually legit or not. That was insane! Driving on the freeway was bad enough, forget trying to fly in that.

-Brian

Aww man, I heard the Decathlon got hurt, but that's way worse than I hoped. :(

I saw the gusts on the METAR and had to text my instructor to see if that was actually legit or not. That was insane! Driving on the freeway was bad enough, forget trying to fly in that.

-Brian

Brian, just curious....which instructor are you using?

Are they calling this a Derecho? One boiled thru Indiana, Ohio and out to the east coast a couple years ago and cause quite a bit of damage, it was discussed in of the aviation rags recently.

What a shame...

BTW, there seems to be a few PoA members out of MYF. Any of you interested in a meet up at Casa Machado some time for some drinks and tales? :)

BTW, there seems to be a few PoA members out of MYF. Any of you interested in a meet up at Casa Machado some time for some drinks and tales? :)

I'm down. I do have a somewhat busy schedule, so I would just need some advance notice, not to mention I usually am trying to squeeze in as much flying as I can in my free time :)

-Brian

I'm down. I do have a somewhat busy schedule, so I would just need some advance notice, not to mention I usually am trying to squeeze in as much flying as I can in my free time :)

-Brian

I would be down as well, I just moved to San Diego and I don't get to fly or go to the airport nearly as often as I would like. (And I don't know very many people in SD, would be nice to have some pilot buddies here) I would just need heads up as to when.

I usually fly out of CRQ, but I'm totally down for that. Just tell me when and I'll see you all there!

Yeah, where was everyone a couple years ago when I was there???

I could make it out sometime, Casa Machado is always good when the Mexican Low Level Light is flashing.

'Gimp

Back