More Airspace Learning Resources

BruceAir said:
AOPA/ASF has just created new Safety Hotspot on its Web site with links to all sorts of useful, free information about airspace, post-911 rules, etc.

You can check it out at: http://www.aopa.org/asf/hotspot/airspace.html

Good start.

Now we need to get this information to those 200,000+ other pilots out there that don't pay attention, don't have computer access, or are not AOPA members thus don't even know it's there for them to read.

I still say we need a well laid out easy to read basic how to/how not to package mailed to every single pilot in this country. I'm willing to surrender my annual pile of AOPA related junk mail and even the renewal package to make it happen. The annual pile I get multiplied by 400,000 would easily make a 30-40 page book for every pilot in this country. (and that's assuming you don't include the airport directory) Take the FAA airmen registry and mass mail to that. Extra's go to FBO's at every airport.

It also wouldn't hurt to start printing the AOPA Handbook For Pilots again while they're at it. Good stuff in there that most pilots probably never see again after passing their initial checkride.

The problem remains that GA pilots don't train enough. They just don't. 2 hrs every 2 years and an IPC may be OK if you're flying a lot, for utility. But it you are flying 25 hours per year there's lotsa skills and knowledge that you're NOT keep up with on that diet.

I've got some insight into this from my three years at the helm of Lifeline Pilots: WINGS is not where to go to find pilots who will donate flight time. Mostly, they are there because they don't want to spend a dime on education. That requirement needs to be raised...or they will end it all, for us. Sigh.

Last edited:
bbchien said:
...That requirement needs to be raised...or they will end it all, for us. Sigh.

Yes, but will it be raised? How? By whom?

The entire system needs to be revamped, and a lot of people are going to be left on the ground...wishing they were in the air. There simply is NO excuse for the current GA accident rate; yet we pat ourselves on the back and say that we are 'improving' with only 600 deaths in a year.

Upon investigation of those deaths, we find most are 'continued VFR flight into IMC' and 'low level manuvering' (i.e. poor airmanship...or stupid house buzzing tricks.)

My God; how many idiots do we have to have flying over government buildings and running out of gas over Lake Michigan before the government grounds us all?

The FAR's have NOT kept up with the times. I hope they catch up before we are all sitting on the ground...

I couldn't agree with (the other) Bruce more. Talk to professional pilots, and you'll be amazed at how much recurrent training they undergo, even though they fly for a living and have considerably more experience than most of us.

I don't think it's realistic, however, to expect much more in the way of training requirements for GA pilots (barring more incidents like last week's fiasco, of course). But we can all be advocates for continuing education, and perhaps if we point out resources that are free and/or easily obtainable, and lead by example, more pilots will take advantage of the opportunities they present.

It's not that hard to get recurrent training. And it is necessary. As a group, we need to address the problem before it is addressed for us. Heck, even getting folks into a virtual community like this one improves knowledge and comprehensive.

I find recurrent training fun. My CFI sometimes points out that I'm not one of the guys who needs extensive training because I fly so often and I train so often. And I tell him that's why I don't need extensive training every time we go up because I do so much training.

So, how do we bring this about without major regulatory changes that hurt us all?

wsuffa said:
So, how do we bring this about without major regulatory changes that hurt us all?
Maybe offer an insurance discount as an incentive? Look how many of us attend driver safety classes every 3 years to save on insurance. Flight safety classes would have to be more frequent, I think.

Toby said:
Maybe offer an insurance discount as an incentive? Look how many of us attend driver safety classes every 3 years to save on insurance. Flight safety classes would have to be more frequent, I think.

Some insurance companies already do that, Toby.

I find it to be useful at insurance renewal time each year.

Back