More about pipers

Tarheelpilot

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tarheelpilot
tell me what you all think about tripacers. I have an opportunity to buy one on the cheap. Late 50's model with 160 hp engine. I've been looking for a budget putt around plane to introduce the kids to flying and perhaps teach them down the road. What say you all?

tell me what you all think about tripacers. I have an opportunity to buy one on the cheap. Late 50's model with 160 hp engine. I've been looking for a budget putt around plane to introduce the kids to flying and perhaps teach them down the road. What say you all?
I've always liked them...and they are great bargains...so when you say you can buy one cheap, do you mean cheap for a plane, or cheap for a tri-pacer cheap?

Basic radios but functional. 2200 total 1100 smoh. New fabric on the tail. Wing and fuse have metal stc that is well done. 4 paint 6 interior. New prop.

That's a decent price but not a steal...
But, 15k buys a 3 passenger (yes, I know it's a four seater), functional aircraft. Matches or exceeds C172's and Cherokee 140's in climb and cruise. Hard to go wrong if you don't mind flying a milk stool (I've actually always liked the look, but some don't).
As long as function is more important than glamour, its a great plane.

That's a decent price but not a steal...
But, 15k buys a 3 passenger (yes, I know it's a four seater), functional aircraft. Matches or exceeds C172's and Cherokee 140's in climb and cruise. Hard to go wrong if you don't mind flying a milk stool (I've actually always liked the look, but some don't).

That's pretty much how I read the situation too. Was wondering if I was way off base. Doesn't sound like it so far. Thanks for the reply.

Not a fan of people riveting metal on fabric planes.

That said, the pacer and tripacer and a excellent airframe, very good bang for the buck, easy systems and MX, good backcountry planes and they haul a bunch.

When was it recovered? With what? Has it sat outside for a lengthy time! All very important! are you going to hangar it? You should if it's in nice shape. I flew them years ago. It's a Piper pacer with a nose gear. It will carry four adults but not obese adults, and gets out well with two. Short wing so it cruises at a pretty good clip. Have a good tube and fabric man check it out carefully. Don't let anyone tell you it's ok to leave one outside as modern fabrics are not bothered by it. Not true, unless it's a dog which you don't want anyway. It's always " pay me now, or pay me later " with an airplane.

Great planes if you can get used to the glide. <snicker> The metal fuse and wings take away about 75lbs of useful load. Dirt simple and parts are cheap. I've had my 57 for about eight years and still haven't tired of it.

When was it recovered? With what? Has it sat outside for a lengthy time! All very important! are you going to hangar it? You should if it's in nice shape. I flew them years ago. It's a Piper pacer with a nose gear. It will carry four adults but not obese adults, and gets out well with two. Short wing so it cruises at a pretty good clip. Have a good tube and fabric man check it out carefully. Don't let anyone tell you it's ok to leave one outside as modern fabrics are not bothered by it. Not true, unless it's a dog which you don't want anyway. It's always " pay me now, or pay me later " with an airplane.

It was recovered with aluminum

Yes. It will be in a hangar.

I have a underpowered 1952 model. Have owned it for about 13 year (my first airplane back in the 70's was a Colt). Everywhere I have taken these airplanes people make positive comments on ("I learned to fly in one of those back then....etc.) They have personality. Wish mine was a 160HP model. A good resource is the Short Wing Piper Club. http://www.shortwingpiperclub.org Good luck.

I have never flown a metalized tripacer. Don't know how much weight it adds. Sounds like it's been tied down outside a while . Not good for any airplane. Engine time is high but depends on how it was flown and by how many people. It's a coin toss. Could be ok, could be bad.

Back