Mooney nick or prop strike?

mooneyintime

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mooneyintime
Mooney M20J
Had a bit of a hard landing on a no headwind day. Just came in a little two fast. After 2 bounces immediately overshot

Inspected the prop when I parked. Noticed this lil “nic” with my mechanic beside me. He immediately said that’s not a prop strike, probably from a rock. “If it was a prop strike you would know”. Just said he would file it down

I do fly in northern communities (not great runways) quite a bit. But just want to get other opinions.

Attachments

• 7B802D47-0C41-4FC1-9C2D-02025E08FDBC.jpeg
    7B802D47-0C41-4FC1-9C2D-02025E08FDBC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 134
Aha well I feel better now

Still rather new with mooneys & low prop clearance (just over 100 hours). Thanks for the peace of mind !!

Looks like the impact was towards the hub from the tip rather than in direction of prop rotation as one would expect from prop strike. As if both items had different directions of travel at time of impact, which is not usually the case with a prop strike.

Also, looks like it was very thin contact, rather than whole blade. Again, a prop strike would involve the whole prop blade(s) being damaged to the same depth.

So, yeah, I'm good with the call of no prop strike based upon this image.

1712928207527.png

It would take some doing to get a propstrike on a trike, but some actually achieve it. The nosegear is usually bent or broken, though, in such cases.

Back