Mooney M20E

sdflyer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
sdflyer
I'm trying to get checked out in M20E. I previously flown J and C models, but never had to do retract gear manually (except in emergency) :)
So basically I'm seeking advice from people who are familiar with "Johnson Bar" in general and in M20E in particular. My problem consistw of retracting gear using left hand (since I'm sitting at the right). I can get gear handle half way through but when it comes to push it down to the latch, I'm guess I'm missing fundamental motor skill and find myself being pretty awkward pushing left hand down behind my body!:mad2::lol: Any tips regarding that issue are appreciated!

See if you can get it up on jacks and practice on the ground until you have the muscle memory programmed.

Some will quickly push the yoke forward when retracting the gear-
Reducing G-force aids in the gear coming up.

Some will quickly push the yoke forward when retracting the gear-
Reducing G-force aids in the gear coming up.

Of course I'm just a student pilot, but why can't you just fly it upside down and have it retract by itself?

Why from the right seat? You're going to fly it from the left eventually, correct?

Try to retract them right at 80 mph, it takes less effort- just be sure you're really flying when you do. You will, do the "mooney bobble" for a while, when you lose sight of the horizon as you bend down.

Are you being checked out by a non-CFI? You'll have the artificial horizon in front of you during the bobble.....if you sit on the left.

Last edited:
Why from the right seat? You're going to fly it from the left eventually, correct?

Try to retract them right at 80 mph, it takes less effort- just be sure you're really flying when you do. You will, do the "mooney bobble" for a while, when you lose sight of the horizon as you bend down.

Are you being checked out by a non-CFI? You'll have the artificial horizon in front of you during the bobble.....if you sit on the left.

I'm CFI who gets checked out by another CFI. So I'm going to fly on the right

Back