Mooney M20E?

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Take a look at this Ebay Mooney It is listed as a E. I thought the small rear seat windows were on a, b and c models only, pre 65ish. Is this listed correctly?

FAA Registry
N-Number Inquiry Results
1pixel.gif
N1210X is Assigned​

Aircraft Description

Serial Number 185 Type Registration Individual Manufacturer Name
MOONEY
Certificate Issue Date
07/12/2006 Model
M20E
Status
Valid Type Aircraft
Fixed Wing Single-Engine
Type Engine
Reciprocating Pending Number Change
None
Dealer
No Date Change Authorized
None
Mode S Code
50054727 MFR Year
Fractional Owner
NO

my guess is yes, its listed correctly.

50054727 MFR Year

if it were made in 63 i could see the windows being that way. Just never saw an E model with the small windows. Must have been one of the first E's off the line.

Yeah, this is definitely an 'E'. Note the little "Power Boost" trap door just below the prop spinner, and the absence of the protruding air filter 'chin' as on the M20C/D.

I'm not sure the older-style windows were much smaller than the new. The bottom edge of the windows was raised in 1965 and makes the airplane look longer, much as Piper did with the new Archer III with its tank-slit windows.

-- Pilawt

Attachments

• m20e_1964_2.jpg
    m20e_1964_2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 14
  • m20e_1965.jpg
    m20e_1965.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 13
I did not think them made M20Es in 63. The side windows are identical to my 63 M20C. Maybe it was a C converted to an E.

Len

I did not think them made M20Es in 63.
They did. An M20E was on the cover of the December 1963 Flying magazine. M20Es were introduced for the 1964 model year, which like with automobiles, started sometime in mid-'63. The FAA registration database reflects actual calendar year of manufacture, not the model year. M20Es built for the '64 model year had the old-style windows (see images in my post above).

-- Pilawt

Wow, thanks guys. I guess that was one of the first E's off the line. Looks like no one bought it either. bummer, wonder what his reserve price was.

Back