Mooney down in an Indiana corn field

Looking over several other flights of that airplane it appears that this may have been the first above 11000MSL at least in quite a while.

Track log is interesting, too. He slows from 230+kts to sub 100 at the end. If I'd have to guess I'd say he got hypoxic, and george kept flying until the gas ran out.

If you fly above 15K, unpressurized - you need to click this link right now, have your cc handy.
Save yourself

Last edited:
If you fly above 15K, unpressurized - you need to click this link right now, have your cc handy.
Save yourself

It's SOP for me to go on O2 whenever I'm flying my 252 at altitudes at or above 10K. When the canula goes on so does the Pulse-Oximeter. A trip to the altitude chamber every year has made me a believer in supplimental O2 and a better method to determine hypoxia other than how I feel.

The first time I flew with oxygen, I was paranoid and checked my O2 sat frequently. After about 30 mins at 15k, I relaxed and decided to eat some potato chips. After about 2 mins of munching, I began to feel odd. So, I put the 02 sat meter on and my 02 sat had fallen to 80%! Apparently while I was eating I was breathing out of my mouth not out of my nose, which is where oxygen canula was! Lesson learned.

It's great training, it's right down the street and it's free. I also usually have a bunch of trainees that need to go. It's always fun especially when the chamber happens on bean burrito day. :)

It's SOP for me to go on O2 whenever I'm flying my 252 at altitudes at or above 10K. When the canula goes on so does the Pulse-Oximeter. A trip to the altitude chamber every year has made me a believer in supplimental O2 and a better method to determine hypoxia other than how I feel.

John be honest with the group now. You really should be on O2 any time your interacting with others.:D

"Military officials do not believe the crash was terrorism-related"
WTH are you kidding me? What does that have to do with ANYTHING

It's great training, it's right down the street and it's free. I also usually have a bunch of trainees that need to go. It's always fun especially when the chamber happens on bean burrito day. :)
John, I've been intending to do that course for a couple of years now. Let me know when you do it next year, and maybe Leslie and I will take a couple slots in the chamber. I like Mexican! :)

Ah, another convert.... :smile:

But it's a good bet this guy was on cannulas at 25K. That dog don't hunt.

The first time I flew with oxygen, I was paranoid and checked my O2 sat frequently. After about 30 mins at 15k, I relaxed and decided to eat some potato chips. After about 2 mins of munching, I began to feel odd. So, I put the 02 sat meter on and my 02 sat had fallen to 80%! Apparently while I was eating I was breathing out of my mouth not out of my nose, which is where oxygen canula was! Lesson learned.
Munching on potato chips at alt is unnnatural.

"Military officials do not believe the crash was terrorism-related"
WTH are you kidding me? What does that have to do with ANYTHING
It calms the sheeple. Afterall, the article was disseminated on the wire.

Joe: "Whoa, wez under attack?"

Moe: "Noes, see where it sez wez safe?"

Joe: "That was close. Hey, you gonna' eat that last slice?"

Last edited:
John, I've been intending to do that course for a couple of years now. Let me know when you do it next year, and maybe Leslie and I will take a couple slots in the chamber. I like Mexican! :)

Highly recommended. You'll learn how you react to hypoxia, what symptoms you may feel (my toes and fingers tingle), and more importantly, if you're one of the folks who feels nothing until the moment you shut down.

It made me a big believer in pulse oximetry too - I could see my saturation levels dropping well before I felt anything. Like having a CO detector in the cabin, or a 406 MHz ELT (or PLB), a pulse ox is cheap insurance/reassurance for those who fly high. And by high I mean above 6000-8000 feet.

It's SOP for me to go on O2 whenever I'm flying my 252 at altitudes at or above 10K. When the canula goes on so does the Pulse-Oximeter.

Likewise in my Commander. I do go on a mask at 17,000 and above.

I'm on a cannula in a pressurized plane when the cabin altitude gets above 10,000; sometimes, on a long trip, lower.

Had several issues with cannulae: I found my ox saturation level dropped too low above FL160 even though the manufacturer said I could go higher. Also, found when relaxed I was not breathing through my diaphragm which lowered ox level. Had to consciously use diaphragmic breathing.

On a mask, it didn't properly seal more than once. At FL250, that became a problem very quickly. I also had a back up in case the primary didn't properly work.

I'm amazed at how many folks I informally chat with that don't try their oxy system before getting higher up. Just put in on in the low teens and keep climbing. No back up system.

Best,

Dave

I'm amazed at how many folks I informally chat with that don't try their oxy system before getting higher up. Just put in on in the low teens and keep climbing. No back up system.

Pulse Oximieter really is necessary. If you're monitoring regularly/constantly a backup system becomes a bit less critical - just decend. Saw one on Woot for $59 recently. Cheaper than recertifying the oxy bottles.

I have two oxy bottles, and never drain them completely. If one doesn't work, use the other.

My guess....He set A/P for xxx fpm climb and MI'd on the way up. Makes no sense to climb to 25k, circle at CVX at 25k head to MIE and spiral it in.

Question:

If you have GPSS and engage it with Direct-to a waypoint, no subsequent flight plan entered, what will it do upon reaching the waypoint and passing it? Could this path represent the plane turning right to return to the waypoint and then, having passed it again, turning right again to go back?

Good question - I have no idea. All the airplanes I'm flying now are G1000s, and in that case I think the NAV mode disconnects, but I need to check. When it disconnects, I don't know if it disconnects HARD or defaults to wings-level. I'll try it in the sim tonight.

Question:

If you have GPSS and engage it with Direct-to a waypoint, no subsequent flight plan entered, what will it do upon reaching the waypoint and passing it? Could this path represent the plane turning right to return to the waypoint and then, having passed it again, turning right again to go back?

He could have also just been out for a 'fun run' with GRR -> CVX -> MIE in the flight plan. Notice how it makes more than one 'approach' to MIE.

Question:

The GPSS will just do whatever the GPS tells it to do. My GNS480 appears to simply continue on the same track indefinitely if it reaches a direct to waypoint and has no flight plan.

Back