Mooney crashed in Collinsville, OK

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
http://www.news9.com/story/21909067/two-victims-of-collinsville-plane-crash-identified

My son phoned to say that a "jet" had crashed not far from the home we will be moving to. He mentioned that an eye witness had said the wing appeared to fold up before impact. He thought that there were three fatalities. Once again, information was completely garbled.

Hubby and I looked into it and with the help of the news article, found the pilot's ratings (commercial, me and instrument) and his medical was current. We found the tail number of the plane and looked up the weather at the time of the incident. Further investigation revealed his aircraft had flown from Manhattan, KS to Tulsa early Sunday morning and was returning home the same day in the late afternoon. The weather in Tulsa was good, but was stormy near his destination. He proceeded toward his filed altitude of 6000 in a normal climb, but at 4000 he turned back and then descended rapidly. From Flight Aware, we were unable to see if he was in a spin or spiral, but it is a possibility. We were unable to hear a LiveATC of his radio contact with Tulsa departure or Kansas City.

Has anyone come up with a checklist or instruction sheet or list of sources for media coverage of an aviation incident so that misinformation can be replaced with some basic real information?

http://www.news9.com/story/21909067/two-victims-of-collinsville-plane-crash-identified

My son phoned to say that a "jet" had crashed not far from the home we will be moving to. He mentioned that an eye witness had said the wing appeared to fold up before impact. He thought that there were three fatalities. Once again, information was completely garbled.

Hubby and I looked into it and with the help of the news article, found the pilot's ratings (commercial, me and instrument) and his medical was current. We found the tail number of the plane and looked up the weather at the time of the incident. Further investigation revealed his aircraft had flown from Manhattan, KS to Tulsa early Sunday morning and was returning home the same day in the late afternoon. The weather in Tulsa was good, but was stormy near his destination. He proceeded toward his filed altitude of 6000 in a normal climb, but at 4000 he turned back and then descended rapidly. From Flight Aware, we were unable to see if he was in a spin or spiral, but it is a possibility. We were unable to hear a LiveATC of his radio contact with Tulsa departure or Kansas City.

Has anyone come up with a checklist or instruction sheet or list of sources for media coverage of an aviation incident so that misinformation can be replaced with some basic real information?

Not that I know of, Peggy, but that is a good idea.

The problem, I suspect, is that credible information is sparse prior to an official investigation. The news media doesn't really care whether information is credible, all they care about is putting something that sounds credible on the air or in print before their competitors do the same.

JKG

Back