Mooney CEO Resigns

citizen5000

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
citizen5000
Mooney informed employees by email that CEO Vivek Saxena and the company “have decided to part ways,” ending a tenure that lasted less than a year.

At Sun ‘n Fun earlier this month Saxena told reporters that Mooney planned to shelve the proposed M10 light trainer and apply what it learned from that program to the next generation of Mooney products targeted to go after the market share dominated by Cirrus with the SR22.

http://www.flyingmag.com/mooney-ceo-steps-down?cmpid=enews042517&spPodID=030&spMailingID=28795407&spUserID=NDcyODMyMzM0MjUS1&spJobID=1023650759&spReportId=MTAyMzY1MDc1OQS2

I repeat....how many owners and CEOs has Mooney had in the past 10 years? Too many.

I repeat....how many owners and CEOs has Mooney had in the past 10 years? Too many.
This was the 2nd CEO since the company was bought by the Chinese group in 2013. Before that the company was basically dead, so I'm not sure it had a CEO.

Well... that probably explains why the Mooney reps at SnF didn't know he'd announced that as reported in another thread...

Somebody went off-script...

Mooney has had horrible management through several corporate iterations going back to the 1960s ...

I date the decline to the early '70s when Republic, a steel company, decided to buy a maker of non-ferrous airplanes.

I wish I were the CEO.

I'd have them with at least equal market share as Cirrus in 10 years.

I date the decline to the early '70s when Republic, a steel company, decided to buy a maker of non-ferrous airplanes.
One wonders what the Mooney company might have been able to accomplish had it not frittered away capital in the 1960s on ill-advised projects like (1) the short-lived deal with Mitsubishi to assemble and market the early Mu-2 turboprop, (2) the Mark 22 Mustang, and (3) the M10 Cadet (ex-Alon Aircoupe).

In the December 1964 issue of Flying magazine, a young staff writer named Richard Bach quoted Mooney president Hal Rachal ...

"You've got to be very careful on a quote like this, so here is exactly what the president of Mooney Aircraft, Inc., said:

'Within 24 months after the first Mark 22 comes off the production line, within 24 months after the weight-and-balance of the first production Mark 22, in my opinion, production of the Beechcraft Bonanza, S-35 or whatever name they want to give it, production will cease.'"

How'd that work out for you?

Last edited:
One wonders what the Mooney company might have been able to accomplish had it not frittered away capital in the 1960s on ill-advised projects like the short-lived deal with Mitsubishi to assemble and market the early Mu-2 turboprop, the Mark 22 Mustang, and the (original) M10 Cadet.

In the December 1964 issue of Flying magazine, a young staff writer named Richard Bach quoted Mooney president Hal Rachal ...

"You've got to be very careful on a quote like this, so here is exactly what the president of Mooney Aircraft, Inc., said:

'Within 24 months after the first Mark 22 comes off the production line, within 24 months after the weight-and-balance of the first production Mark 22, in my opinion, production of the Beechcraft Bonanza, S-35 or whatever name they want to give it, production will cease.'"

How'd that work out for you?

Hubris, writ large.

And then there was the later Porsche PFM engine experiment. Anybody got one of those still flying?

Sometimes a perpetually distracted management and Board, married to the glamour of endless "science projects" just cannot get that out of the corporate DNA, even when they are all gone.

Was probably sick of the unrealistic dreamers around him.

Hand built one million dollar toys tend to have a small sales market.
The people who can part with $1M for a toy tend to be fickle and want the newest, hottest thing - AKA side sticks, chute, AOA
My opinion is that Mooney is in it's death throes.
Sad.

Here's a video of avweb interviewing Saxena earlier this month at Sun and Fun:
https://www.avweb.com/videos/Mooney-Shows-the-Acclaim-Ultra-228774-1.html

I didn't see anything in that video that would cause worry, about the company. He made a pretty good appearance for the company.

A couple of things he mentioned: there are 150 employees at Kerrville, and 80 engineers at Chino CA. However, he did not mention sales figures.

The number of engineers Saxena claimed impressed me. For comparison, Cirrus had only a handful of engineers devoted to the SRXX piston line, as of a couple of years ago. That was from a group presentation given by a Cirrus salesman. I don't remember the exact number, but it was less than five engineers for the piston models. Cirrus had a much larger number of engineers working on developing the jet.

Hand built one million dollar toys tend to have a small sales market.
The people who can part with $1M for a toy tend to be fickle and want the newest, hottest thing - AKA side sticks, chute, AOA
My opinion is that Mooney is in it's death throes.
Sad.

There are no $1m toys with a yoke and round gauges?

Here's a video of avweb interviewing Saxena earlier this month at Sun and Fun:
https://www.avweb.com/videos/Mooney-Shows-the-Acclaim-Ultra-228774-1.html

I didn't see anything in that video that would cause worry, about the company. He made a pretty good appearance for the company.

A couple of things he mentioned: there are 150 employees at Kerrville, and 80 engineers at Chino CA. However, he did not mention sales figures.

The number of engineers Saxena claimed impressed me. For comparison, Cirrus had only a handful of engineers devoted to the SRXX piston line, as of a couple of years ago. That was from a group presentation given by a Cirrus salesman. I don't remember the exact number, but it was less than five engineers for the piston models. Cirrus had a much larger number of engineers working on developing the jet.

If this is the case it sounds like a bloated company that needs some lay offs. Bring the price down and sell more.

I just connected with him on Linked In a week or so ago. Why he didn't tell me?!

Back