Mooney Acclaim set three speed records!

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
A friend of mine, Scott Purdue called me just over a week ago to ask what airport he should use in San Diego to set a new speed record. I gave him the alternatives and he chose Gillespie (KSEE). Here's his first post with a follow up to come where you can check flightaware.

Best,

Dave

For those who are interested:

Friday 6 April 2007 a brand new Mooney Acclaim set three speed records over a recongized course.... these are unoffical times at the moment....

San Diego - Oklahoma City: 4 hours 3 minutes 15 seconds

Oklahoma City - Charlotte: 2 hours 51 minutes 56 seconds

San Deigo-Charlotte: 7 hours 26 minutes 56 seconds elapsed time, including an instrument approach and fuel stop in Oklahoma City, Average speed 241.5 knots

In my book I'd say that's pretty fast... look for the upcoming press release<g>........

A friend of mine, Scott Purdue called me just over a week ago to ask what airport he should use in San Diego to set a new speed record. I gave him the alternatives and he chose Gillespie (KSEE). Here's his first post with a follow up to come where you can check flightaware.

Best,

Dave

For those who are interested:

Friday 6 April 2007 a brand new Mooney Acclaim set three speed records over a recongized course.... these are unoffical times at the moment....

San Diego - Oklahoma City: 4 hours 3 minutes 15 seconds

Oklahoma City - Charlotte: 2 hours 51 minutes 56 seconds

San Deigo-Charlotte: 7 hours 26 minutes 56 seconds elapsed time, including an instrument approach and fuel stop in Oklahoma City, Average speed 241.5 knots

In my book I'd say that's pretty fast... look for the upcoming press release<g>........

Where do I know that name from......

Nick:

He writes for Plane and Pilot; Ex F-15 guy that goes by Gunney. Taught the Advanced Maneuver course I went to in the Extra 500. He's posted on the red board.

Best,

Dave

That's it - Scott "gunny" Purdue from the red board! Wow - those are impressive speeds.

Scott Perdue is America's breakout Military Action-Adventure Thriller author. An unrepentant Texan and Fighter Pilot, he's been there and done that. He even has a few T-shirts to prove it, or at least that's his story. If you'd like to get up close and personal with an M-82 .50 caliber sniper rifle or push the throttles of your F-15E fighter into Afterburner you've come to the right place.
Check out his books:
or magazine articles:

Now that's an airplane I'd trade the A36 in on.

Now wait just a cotton-pickin' minute, Chip-

You are the one who told me that the A36 was the finest single-engined GA plane there was. You gave me a goal, and now you are going to move the danged bar?

You are one cruel dude.

All I can say is Wow. Pretty darn fast and high for 280HP. And, yeah, I want one.

Now wait just a cotton-pickin' minute, Chip-

You are the one who told me that the A36 was the finest single-engined GA plane there was. You gave me a goal, and now you are going to move the danged bar?

You are one cruel dude.

Yep, I'm a bad man. I may need to revise the "finest single" statement after the introduction of the Acclaim. It hurts.

I'd be surprised if the Mooney wasn't a bit faster than the TN A-36 at that altitude, but the A-36 is really a different plane.

'Course, I wouldn't see either carrying four adults and baggage up there. My family members certainly wouldn't go on a mask for three or four hours and I'd worry about them if they did <g>.

The A-36 has more drag; it's just bigger and has six seats with a payload that would allow four. More comfortable. The Mooney is a different bird. Sounds great for one or two folks on a long flight like that. Should be a bit faster.

It's just a shame we can't have several planes so we could use each on the mission for which it's designed. I've only had two at a time, and it was never enough to satisfy each mission <g>

Best,

Dave

Back