Monument Valley

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Pics from air tour of the Valley from KPGA Page, AZ. No we didn't land.

#1: The San Juan River east of it's confluence with the Colorado River. Shown is where the river is not flooded by Lake Powell. The San Juan continues to the east past Farmington, NM and to the south of Durango, CO. That's 10,346' Navajo Mountain in the background.

#2: Monument Valley airport is 5,192 msl, 4,000' of good pavement. A couple days ago cows had gotten onto the rwy.

#3: One of the specatular landforms.

Attachments

• Flight to Monument Valley 028.jpg
    Flight to Monument Valley 028.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • Flight to Monument Valley 039.jpg
    Flight to Monument Valley 039.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 36
  • Flight to Monument Valley 047.jpg
    Flight to Monument Valley 047.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
More pics...

1: I like how the wing reflects the colors of the landscape. At the right is the Totem Pole. The circular formation are dancers. Use your imagination...in fact, many of the buttes and spires in the valley begin to look like familiar objects when using your imagination. Sitting Hen, King's Throne, The Mittens, The 3 Sisters, etc....

Olijato is 4,838 msl, 3,900 of poor asphalt. It's about 6 nm west of Monument Valley aprt. Permission required.

Attachments

• Flight to Monument Valley 061.jpg
    Flight to Monument Valley 061.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 34
  • Flight to Monument Valley 067.jpg
    Flight to Monument Valley 067.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 28
  • Flight to Monument Valley 083.jpg
    Flight to Monument Valley 083.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
i remember those places. it's the beset place i've ever flown over

Nice pictures Richard. I haven't been into Monument Valley since they redid the runway. Looks like it's in good shape, and the asphalt certainly stands out better than the dirt strip did. I'll have to get back there one of these days. Still want to do the full moon tour.

Jon

Wow! Those pictures brought back memories. When I was a kid (maybe 10 or 12), we visited Monument Valley. My dad knew someone who worked at the hospital or clinic there in Goulding, UT (now closed) who had a 206. We took off from that one-way strip, and flew through the monuments for about an hour! It was fabulous flying with someone who had local knowledge of all the formations, especially for a kid who was smitten with aviation.

I also remember flying over an abandoned movie set. I think he said it was used in a John Wayne film. Anyone know which this might have been?
________
homemade vaporizers

Last edited:
Google is your friend, can't guess your age, so you do the math:

Films that Wayne appeared in that were shot or partly shot in Monument Valley were:

Stagecoach (1939)
Fort Apache (1948)
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (1949)
Rio Grande (1950)
The Searchers (1956)

Monument Valley is a great place. I think it's even more spectacular from the ground. There is a dirt road that runs through the "monuments" but it is on the reservation so you have to pay some token fee to drive on it, but it is worth it.

I have not had to go around there yet, but have landed right after a couple planes did. The people on the ground and the pilot that did it said never again.
The surface was better when it was dirt though!! The pavement isnt that great anyway...lots of little waves to it.

Back