Montana FBO's? (BIL & GTF)

jwyatt

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
jwyatt
Planning a trip west for the long weekend; does anyone have experience with the FBO's at Billings and/or Great Falls?

Based on AirNav, Edwards looks like the only game at BIL, but GTF has Holman and Front Range; any experiences, etc welcome...which is more friendly to the small (2-seat) plane crowd?

Been a year or so since I was in BIL, but Edwards was fantastic and fair when I was there.

Lewistown is my normal fuel stop when I fly to the MidWest.

Stayed overnight once to avoid T-storms over the Rockys, and they were so nice I've made it my SOP to buy fuel there.

I stopped at Holmans several years ago and they were helpful in getting me a room. I think they were the more small GA friendly FBO at Great Falls. I would give them a thumbs up.

I am based at Lewistown. It is an easy airport to get in and out of. There is self serve fuel and a courtesy car. The FBO is not manned on weekends but you can get ahold of them if needed, Newton Aviation. I am going to be gone for the next week and a half, but after that I could lend a hand if needed.

Barb

I used to live and work in that area. Edwards is top notch, but if you don't need full-service, Laurel is 8 miles west. Self serve fuel, hangar, courtesy car, and used to be discounts on motel. Holman is the way to go in GTF.

I just stopped in Billings on my way back from Alaska. Nice stop, great FBO. They charge $25 for a plane handling fee though, and they never touched my plane. They did re-open and stay late and got a hotel room for me after fueling up. :dunno:

Thanks for all the feedback, sounds like Edwards & Holman get the nod. I'd prefer the smaller airports like Laurel, but stops on this trip are dictated by where the relatives live...I'm just the bus driver!

Geico, I'm jealous of your Alaska trip; I was born & raised north of Anchorage, but have been a transplant to MN for 12yrs now. Someday I'd like to join a gang of folks flying the Alaska Hwy route up & back. 9 times driving that road in various wheeled vehicles, need to add wings to the list.

We always made stops in Lewiston, Miles City, Billings, and Missoula when stopping through MT. Some had more creature comforts than others, but all were easy for light singles to run through. Last time I went through any of these places was probably 15 years ago though, so things could have changed.

You forgot to go to the best one of all, Bozeman! Great airport and a really nice FBO (Yellowstone Jetcenter) with a really nice staff.

Go Bobcats!

Back