Monovision Lasik

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
I had Lasik done 11 years ago. My far vision has deteriorated enough that I've decided to have a Lasik Enhancement done.

Today, I went back to the same doctor that did my procedure years ago. He wants me to wear contacts for a week. The first three days he wants me to wear both, the next three days he wants me to wear one in my predominant eye only. Like many other people I've spoken to, only correcting one eye sounds like it will drive me nuts. He told me not to make a decision yet though. He said 60% of people really like it, but it won't work at all for 40% of people.

He said he's done it for quite a few airline pilots and they like it because they don't have to have readers to see the instruments. He did say at night, some of them wear glasses to correct the uncorrected eye, but not all of them.

My question is, have any of you had this done and if so, how do you like it? I'm not thinking I'll like it, but I agreed to give it a shot.

As far as I know, Monovision (one contact for long distance, another for short distance) is not something the FAA Medical folks will approve.

There was an accident at KLGA back in the mid-ish 1980s where a MD-80 came in too low, catching its main landing gear on the edge of the pier. The MLG ripped off, and the rest of the plane executed a gear-gone belly slide on runway 13. The pilot was wearing monovision contacts and had degraded depth perception, arriving too low.

-Skip

You should read this Federal Air Surgeons Column:https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avi.../designee_types/ame/fasmb/editorials_jj/eyes/

Here is a quote from it: "This may significantly alter depth perception. The subject is essentially monocular, using only one eye at a time, yet without the long-term adaptation of someone who actually is anatomically monocular. We believe this poses a serious safety risk to airmen (see NTSB story in this issue)."

Yep, if you need corrective lenses your doctor is specifically to ask about near vision correction using monovision. The FAA doesn't permit that. Monovision LASIK (after a period of adaptation) is permissible.

The way I read the OP's note is that the doc wants him to wear monovision contacts to try to get used to it, before making it permanent with Lasik.

My understanding is that FAA doesn't like the contacts, but will allow the Lasik...but I'm just some guy on the internet.

I've known some people that have done similar monovision adjustments when they've had cataract surgery. I don't know how different that would be for a Lasik procedure. I don't have any personal experience with either.

Trust your ophthalmologist on this one. Agree with him 100%. If you can't adjust, go with plan b. When I was young, my "good eye" was my 20/20 distant vision eye, when I was 45y/o, I started calling my near vision eye the"good eye". Depth perception is not affected beyond 3 ft for all practical purpose. That is why there are so many monocular pilots flying left seat, i.e. they have only one eye. Of course, you might be one of the rare ones who can not adapt, so a trial with contacts is warranted. I believe the FAA would not want you flying or driving till adapted so they would also require a period of time to adapt, as well as glasses to use as a back up when needed.

My understanding is that FAA doesn't like the contacts, but will allow the Lasik...but I'm just some guy on the internet.

The Air Surgeons Column regards both "monovision" contact lenses or of refractive surgery"

Yep, if you need corrective lenses your doctor is specifically to ask about near vision correction using monovision. The FAA doesn't permit that. Monovision LASIK (after a period of adaptation) is permissible.

Only if airman applies for and receives a SODA: Airmen who opt for monovision LASIK must initially wear correction (i.e., glasses or contact lens) for near vision eye while operating an aircraft. After a 6-month period of adaptation, they may apply for a Statement of Demonstrated Ability (SODA) with a medical fl ight test. If the airman is successful, the lens requirement is removed from their medical certifi cate.

Good info in https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/lasereye_ii.pdf

I tried monovision contacts once for a week. That was 10yrs ago and the weak lenses are still in a drawer somewhere. Couldn't stand it.

Actually I'm starting to build up my HSA to get early lens replacement (ie. cataract) vs lasik. They eye doc is pitching monovision lenses...ain't gonna happen. A guy at work did eye lens replacement with monovision. It took him several months and still isn't happy.

My boss does monovision contacts and it seems to work for him so it pretty individual I guess.

Medical Standards for distant vision is 20/20 (1st, 2nd class) in each eye separately. It would be a violation to fly with 1 eye corrected to see near only without a SODA (regardless if contacts, glasses, or surgery). Some kind of Bifocal correction would have to be used to fly.

Been wearing mono-vision contacts for years now. Never a problem. I even switched eyes (near to far and far to near) after a year with no problem. It is highly personal so the idea of wearing contacts before Lasik is a good one.

Never asked about basic med rules and mono-vision since I didn’t want to get an official NO.

Cheers

The way I read the OP's note is that the doc wants him to wear monovision contacts to try to get used to it, before making it permanent with Lasik.

I've known some people that have done similar monovision adjustments when they've had cataract surgery. I don't know how different that would be for a Lasik procedure. I don't have any personal experience with either.

Yep! Clearly a lot of people didn’t pay their reading comprehension in school. I’m only trying the contacts before enhancing the lasik I’ve already had.

The replies clearly show what I thought. A lot of people think it’s crazy and won’t even try it, which is what my doctor said. I’ll give it a try with the contacts before making the decision.

3 days with two contacts, 3 days with only one. I won’t fly with only one.

The Air Surgeons Column regards both "monovision" contact lenses or of refractive surgery"

Only if airman applies for and receives a SODA: Airmen who opt for monovision LASIK must initially wear correction (i.e., glasses or contact lens) for near vision eye while operating an aircraft. After a 6-month period of adaptation, they may apply for a Statement of Demonstrated Ability (SODA) with a medical fl ight test. If the airman is successful, the lens requirement is removed from their medical certifi cate.

Good info in https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/lasereye_ii.pdf

Agreed. Thank you for adding the additional details. I glossed over the process.

Never asked about basic med rules and mono-vision since I didn’t want to get an official NO.
That should be up to you and your doctor to decide. As long as you follow the restrictions of your driver's license. However, it's a hard NO if you're on a regular medical.

That should be up to you and your doctor to decide. As long as you follow the restrictions of your driver's license. However, it's a hard NO if you're on a regular medical.
It’s not a hard no for lasik, just for contacts. The doctor said he’s done monovision lasik for airline pilots.

It’s not a hard no for lasik, just for contacts. The doctor said he’s done monovision lasik for airline pilots.

Oh. its a HARD NO for Lasik without wearing glasses or contacts to correct the near eye back to distant acuity, & again having to correct back to read. I would print out the pdf "Information For Pilots Considering Laser Eye Surgery" that I posted #7 above and take it to your doctor.

Airmen who opt for monovision LASIK must initially wear correction (i.e., glasses or contact lens) for near vision eye while operating an aircraft. After a 6-month period of adaptation, they may apply for a Statement of Demonstrated Ability (SODA) with a medical fl ight test. If the airman is successful, the lens requirement is removed from their medical certifi cate.

Think about it, if it is not okay for an airman to hold a medical (without a SODA) if he was born with no distant vision in 1 eye, why would it be okay if it the same defect is lasik induced?

Last edited:
Just 1 more paragraph from the Federal Air Surgeons Column I linked in #3 above that your doctor should read.

monovision" contact lenses or of refractive surgery that leaves the subject with one eye corrected for distance and the other corrected for near vision.

For years, the FAA has noted that this practice is unacceptable for airmen. Unfortunately, many airmen seem to be unaware of this position. In fact, they may wear conventional spectacles or acceptable contact lenses to scheduled medical examinations, yet use monovision lenses while flying. Aviation Medical Examiners must counsel against this practice and ensure that their ophthalmologist and optometrist colleagues also are informed of this potentially dangerous action.

Just 1 more paragraph from the Federal Air Surgeons Column I linked in #3 above that your doctor should read.

monovision" contact lenses or of refractive surgery that leaves the subject with one eye corrected for distance and the other corrected for near vision.

For years, the FAA has noted that this practice is unacceptable for airmen. Unfortunately, many airmen seem to be unaware of this position. In fact, they may wear conventional spectacles or acceptable contact lenses to scheduled medical examinations, yet use monovision lenses while flying. Aviation Medical Examiners must counsel against this practice and ensure that their ophthalmologist and optometrist colleagues also are informed of this potentially dangerous action.
Thanks for this info.

Just for another data point. Mono vision contacts worked great for me when I was 40. They were terribly unusable at 50. I wouldn’t do it.

Just for another data point. Mono vision contacts worked great for me when I was 40. They were terribly unusable at 50. I wouldn’t do it.
Yeah, but if you do it, all you would have just have the other one done.

The post I was referring to was about contacts. As I already stated earlier in the thread, Lasik with a suitable adaptable period can be approved.

The post I was referring to was about contacts. As I already stated earlier in the thread, Lasik with a suitable adaptable period can be approved.

Sorry for beating this point to death

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back