Monocular Pilot

write-stuff

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
write-stuff
I have a gentleman wishing to become a student pilot. In one eye he has corrected vision of 20/20, but in the other, it's 20/200. The AME guide says "ITEMS 31-34. Eye

4. An applicant will be considered monocular when there is only one eye or when the best corrected distant visual acuity in the poorer eye is no better than 20/200. An individual with one eye, or effective visual acuity equivalent to monocular, may be considered for medical certification, any class, through the special issuance section of part 67 (14 CFR 67.401).
"

If I'm reading this properly, it appears to me that he is eligible for an SI. Any suggestion on a next step for him?

I fly with two monocular pilots, it's not a problem - just have to demonstrate ability
(one recently retired from a successful airline career)

I flew with a guy that held a 1st class medical and was a captain on a jet flying part 135. One of his eyes was made out of glass so I think your guy should be ok to get a private certificate.

I think he'll need a 8500-7 (report from his opthomologist) mostly they want to show he's been stable for six months and has normal vision in the good eye. They'll also want the Humphrey visual field test showing normal field of view in the good eye. Then it sits in the Joklahoma City hell hole for months. He'll get a medical restricted solely to take the medical flight test. So right before he's ready to solo, he'll arrange that with the FSDO.

I think he'll need a 8500-7 (report from his opthomologist) mostly they want to show he's been stable for six months and has normal vision in the good eye. They'll also want the Humphrey visual field test showing normal field of view in the good eye. Then it sits in the Joklahoma City hell hole for months. He'll get a medical restricted solely to take the medical flight test. So right before he's ready to solo, he'll arrange that with the FSDO.

So the "medical restricted", this is to allow him to do a SODA ride with an FAA inspector prior to him flying his first solo?

There are over 1290 monocular captains. the restricted cert allows the candidate to be pic for the ride with the inspector...and if successful ends up with (1( a waiver and (2) an unrestricted medical :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back