Monitoring guard

MyassisDragon

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mr Fred
Was flying on a an ifr plan the other day and heard center ask for all aircraft to monitor guard then specifically they asked me if I picked up any ELT signal. I was down to one radio so I had to go off frequency and monitor 121.5 but heard nothing.

I didn't read of any plane accidents in the area but I was just curious how often this happens to other pilots? Did some forget to close out a flight plan or somthing?

On a side note I wanted to confirm my memory and asked center to confirm the frequency and they replied back with 123.0??? I even wrote this down cause I was confused but I went back and listened thinking I was losing my mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
I didn't read of any plane accidents in the area but I was just curious how often this happens to other pilots? Did some forget to close out a flight plan or somthing?

Somebody probably reported hearing an ELT and they're trying to track it down. Doesn't necessarily mean a crash, might have been a hard landing. They're often traced to aircraft parked on a ramp or in a hangar.

One time when I was asked to do this I could hear the ELT going off in the background of the controller's radio. So in that case at least it sounds like one of their receivers was also picking it up and they were trying to narrow it down further.

I've also been asked by the FAA to give a call on UNICOM at airports I'm flying over to try to track down aircraft who didn't close plans or just disappeared from communications (the same happened to me once when I flew out of comm range while getting FF).

Of course the worst is when the FAA or HSA calls your cell phone (my number is listed as the airport manager) looking for either missing aircraft or TFR busters.

Somebody probably reported hearing an ELT and they're trying to track it down. Doesn't necessarily mean a crash, might have been a hard landing. They're often traced to aircraft parked on a ramp or in a hangar.

I've reported ELT's to controllers twice, and both times they started working the other aircraft on freq to try and track it down. I always look at the clock 1st before calling the controller, if it's between on the hour and 5 after, I wait to call. Both times I never heard of the results.

I monitor 121.5 at all times when I'm not using flight following or another freq is indicated.

Why?

1) It may save someone's life (if you hear the ELT first).

2) You'll know RIGHT NOW if another 9/11 style attack shuts down the US airspace. Preferred over getting intercepted.

3) You get constantly reminded that airline pilots are human, too.

4) If you have a real emergency, you're a single transmit button from emergency freq without having to fumble.

I believe its strongly recommended by the FAA, but I don't have a source for that right now.

I monitor 121.5 at all times when I'm not using flight following or another freq is indicated.

Snip...

I believe its strongly recommended by the FAA, but I don't have a source for that right now.

NOTAM FDC 4/4386

Snip...

ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING IN UNITED STATES NATIONAL AIRSPACE, IF CAPABLE, SHALL MAINTAIN A LISTENING WATCH ON VHF GUARD 121.5 OR UHF 243.0.

Snip...

I like to keep the second radio on guard . 121.5 can be interesting at times.

And you can be one of the thirty dolts who transmits "on guard" to the poor soul who selects the wrong radio.

I did get to hear a panicy pilot demanding the closest airport because of turbulence and a lost student pilot.

The stupidest thing I ever heard was a biz jet arranging arrival details. He got a number of people chewing him out over the air on that.

I've reported twice. Once was getting stronger the closer we got to an airport, and it quit about 15 min later. Guess someone called around.

Second was on Friday evening around Huntsville. Didn't ever hear a follow up to that one.

Both times controllers asked or people volunteered hearing the ELT as well.

Both times I waited a few minutes from the time I heard one to reporting it, just in case someone turns it off.

Anyone else wait a minute just to make sure before calling one in?

I've only been directly asked once. I was down in southern MO and was told by ATC there was a report of a missing aircraft. I went over to guard and used wing-shadowing to get a rough location. But since my flight was for the sole purpose of going to get fuel since my airport was out, I couldn't hang around too long. When I was back up, the signal was gone and ATC said they sent a whirly-bird from Ft. Leonard Wood to take a look around.

Aside from that, I've heard ATC ask aircraft many times, and it's definitely not an oddity when they do.

NOTAM FDC 4/4386

ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING IN UNITED STATES NATIONAL AIRSPACE, IF CAPABLE, SHALL MAINTAIN A LISTENING WATCH ON VHF GUARD 121.5 OR UHF 243.0

Right. Required (if able), not merely recommended.

On a side note I wanted to confirm my memory and asked center to confirm the frequency and they replied back with 123.0??? I even wrote this down cause I was confused but I went back and listened thinking I was losing my mind.

Perhaps a brain fart / mis-spoken reference to Military Guard of 243.0? :confused:

I have 121.5 on Comm 2 on all XC flights. On the border, it comes in handy.

1. Was asked by ABQ to switch to 121.5 for FF (what?), after change they indicated they were testing multiple SW New Mexico transmit sites and to count down from 10. Testing TorC and Deming transmit receive capability.

2. Tuscon had a plane that didn't respond to ATC that I guess did a "back and forth" across the border. From ATC onset to Air Force intercept was only about 10 minutes. Kind of eerie hearing the pilot transmit "N12345, you've been intercepted, rock your wings" on 121.5 while simultaneously hearing Tuscon approach trying to save the guy from the intercept continuously trying to raise him.

I declared an emergency on 121.5 over central GA after the ROTAX in my Sky Arrow suddenly got VERY rough*.

Found a field, but the engine gradually came back smooth.

Headed to the last airport I had overflown, when a familiar voice came on and said "I'll follow you in, Ed".

A friend of mine was training his girlfriend (now wife) in commercial maneuvers in a Cirrus. They were monitoring 121.5 and heard my declaration. Sherri told me it was the first time she had heard a real emergency on the air, and what are the chances she'd know the pilot!?!

*most likely cause was some gasket goop in a float bowl that blocked the main jet on one side.

13276533225_74f12e3ddc_n.jpg

Lesson: NEVER use a silicone-based adhesive near gasoline - use grease if needed to hold gasket or o-ring in place.

I have about 400 hrs in the logbook, prob >70% IFR or VFR flight following. Have been asked one time if I could hear an ELT; I could, and upon ATC request I started providing "it's fading out / it's getting stronger" reports as I continued enroute.

Was flying on a an ifr plan the other day and heard center ask for all aircraft to monitor guard then specifically they asked me if I picked up any ELT signal. I was down to one radio so I had to go off frequency and monitor 121.5 but heard nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Someone higher reported an ELT. By asking lower aircraft they narrow the area. Your line of sight is a lot less than the folks at Flight Level 350.

As far as 123.0, 122.9 and 123.1 are the "channelized" freqs in use at that section of the band. 123.0 wouldn't normally be assigned to anything. Think you just mis-heard it. ;)

Back