Monitoring 121.5

I'm guessing the childish chatter, etc. on 121.5 must be an eastern thing; I've never heard anything like that here on the west coast.

I think that some online briefing services default to not providing FDC NOTAMs that are not associated with a specific area. For example, on duats.com, you have to check a box that says "Non-associated FDC NOTAMs" in order to get it. Once you do that, you have to wade through a LONG list of irrelevant stuff to find it. That may be part of the reason that so many pilots are unaware of the requirement.

I'm guessing the childish chatter, etc. on 121.5 must be an eastern thing; I've never heard anything like that here on the west coast.

It's the worst in the northeast by far. Not sure if it's because .

There's one guy, who as far as I can tell is based somewhere in central PA (probably at a small airport), who always responds to the accidental calls on guard for pilots calling ops. He does it in a faux girly voice. He's been doing it for years. It's really, really annoying. He'll pretend he's ops, FBO, whatever and fake responses the whole way and try to make the complete response.

The further west you get the less childish chatter you get, at least in my experience. In the south it's not as bad, either.

Try to have it turned on while in cruise. Hear random stuff like Center reaching out to airliners that have gone incommunicado, that guy who pushed the wrong button and thinks it's the CTAF for the field he's landing at, strange noises and interference, guard Nazis, that sort of thing.

I listen pretty much all the time on com 2 unless I'm using it to check weather. I've heard a lot of ELT's (always report them and have learned how to get a rough bearing), some 'aircraft xyz center is looking for you on', and the 'On Guard' guards.

The reason I try to always listen is I've heard several intercepts and two real maydays. I was the only one that heard one of the maydays. That guy lost his prop. He ended up landing it safely in a field but he was far enough in the sticks that he may have been there a while if I hadn't of been able to report his position. The other didn't turn out as well. It was reported by someone else but the pilot that made the call didn't make it.

I carry a PLB and between that, my cell, and my ELT, I'd hope I could let someone know I had a survivable problem but it's nice to also hope someone is listening if I ever have to make that call or my ELT goes off.

Gary

Back