Monday, Monday

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
All that is left on the install of the new engine is to install and set landing gear warning switch on the throttle and to put interior back together. That is scheduled for tomorrow, Friday. Weather is going to be crap on Friday and Saturday. So, Monday is the day I fly the plane with the new engine.

Yippie!

Len

Len Lanetti said:
All that is left on the install of the new engine is to install and set landing gear warning switch on the throttle and to put interior back together. That is scheduled for tomorrow, Friday. Weather is going to be crap on Friday and Saturday. So, Monday is the day I fly the plane with the new engine.

Yippie!

Len

PENNSYLVANIA

3/2122 FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS MALVERN,PA. EFFECTIVE 0502182000 UTC (MAY 2 AT 1500 LOCAL) UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. PURSUANT TO RESTRICTIONS DETAILED IN SECTION 352 OF PUBLIC LAW 108-7, AND 14 CFR SECTION 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS. AIRCRAFT FLIGHT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED AT AND BELOW 3,000 FEET AGL, WITHIN A 3 NAUTICAL MILE RADIUS OF THE CITY OF MALVERN, PA
THIS RESTRICTION DOES NOT APPLY TO: (A) DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, LAW ENFORCEMENT, OR AEROMEDICAL FLIGHT OPERATIONS THAT ARE IN CONTACT WITH ATC. THOSE WHO MEET ANY OF THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA MAY APPLY FOR A WAIVER TO THESE RESTRICTIONS: (A) FOR OPERATIONAL PURPOSES OF THE VENUE INCLUDING THE TRANSPORTATION OF EQUIPMENT OR OFFICIALS OF THE GOVERNING BODY; (B) FOR SAFETY AND SECURITY PURPOSES OF THE VENUE. INFORMATION REGARDING WAIVER APPLICATIONS CAN BE OBTAINED FROM THE FAA WEBSITE AT HTTP://WWW.FAA.GOV/ATS/ATA/WAIVER, OR BY CALLING 571-227-1322. 18 MAR 20:00 UNTIL UFN [See graphic.]

Bwahh Haa Haaa

Just kiddin....Have fun :)

Michael

Don't loiter around any nuke plants Len. :)

Good luck, it will be a screamer!

Anthony said:
Don't loiter around any nuke plants Len.

Good luck, it will be a screamer!

Actually East Whiteland planning commission and board of supervisors is going to change a zoning law so the high school a mile from my house can erect 110 foot lights for the football field. I think I'm going to do the 3 hour break in ride over the houses of the folks on the commission and board...yep...full throttle and full forward on the prop, round and round we go. 1,000 feet agl of course.

Planning commission approved the change to the zoning law. The neighborhood has been fighting this for 12 years!

The board of supervisors votes on the 11th.

On a serious, aviation related note...spoke with mechanic. Engine has been run on the ground now---"Started easy, no leaks, appears to run strong.".

Len

Len Lanetti said:
On a serious, aviation related note...spoke with mechanic. Engine has been run on the ground now---"Started easy, no leaks, appears to run strong.".

Len

Well it damn well should for $25K! :)

Hey Len you can fly it over to Wings for our Fly In on May 14 so we can all see what a brand spankin new $25K engine looks like. Oops sorry for reminding you! Hope you make it to Wings anyway

Len:

Good luck with that first run! I will admit I had a few butterflys on that first take off roll with new cylinders! Will you be in the PTW area? I have Monday off, maybe I'll cruise over and watch!

Gary

Len Lanetti said:
Anthony,

Don't remind me. I'm trying to enjoy the moment. :<)

Len

Sorry Len. Told you you shouldn't have agreed to those 14k gold piston rings and platinum crank! :)

I'm sure it will fly perfectly and you'll probably see anotehr 5 knots in cruise and 200 FPM in climb. Feel better now? :)

BTW. Gary just wants to see what a new engine looks like. Personally, I can wait and rather NOT know for many years.

Joe Williams said:
YIKES!!! Could darn near buy both of our cars for that kind of coin!

Joe, now you see why no matter how great a "deal" an airplane is based on cost, these are the types of things one must be prepared to do at a moments notice. We can do all the spreadsheets we want and I did them and still do them, but you just never know. I've maintained my plane without any compromises and still had the most expensive annual inspection ever due to repair and maintenance items.

Joe Williams said:
YIKES!!! Could darn near buy both of our cars for that kind of coin!

This is when a few partners come in real handy.

Anthony said:
Joe, now you see why no matter how great a "deal" an airplane is based on cost, these are the types of things one must be prepared to do at a moments notice. We can do all the spreadsheets we want and I did them and still do them, but you just never know. I've maintained my plane without any compromises and still had the most expensive annual inspection ever due to repair and maintenance items.

Yeah, I know. Now you know why we bought a new second car instead of a plane and a junker :( An engine overhaul would flat mean we'd have to sell the plane, probably at a loss.

lancefisher said:
This is when a few partners come in real handy.

We looked at a partnership in a '62 Skyhawk that was interesting, but someone on the list ahead of us bought in. By and large, though, I'm not sure I see a lot of advantage to sharing the plane vs renting. We are fortunate, though, in having a lot of newer model, apparently well maintained planes available within an hours drive.

Maybe a partnership would be cheaper? The one we were looking at certainly had that potential.

Joe Williams said:
Yeah, I know. Now you know why we bought a new second car instead of a plane and a junker :( An engine overhaul would flat mean we'd have to sell the plane, probably at a loss.

And even if you think you've covered the bases, things happen. About 100 hours after I bought my plane it developed a hairline case crack. OH time. It was a mid-life engine.

Joe Williams said:
Maybe a partnership would be cheaper? The one we were looking at certainly had that potential.

A good partnership pretty much only affects the fixed costs, but it does bring the painful one-time costs like overhaul down to more tolerable numbers.

The thing about a partnership is that it will work or not work depending on the people involved.

Back