Mom in hospital, Gramma in hospital, friend in hospital

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
and how was your week?

My friend Paige (in Germany) went in last week - she's 40 and expecting (week 30) and a few things happened that weren't by the book so she went in. they're holding her for a while to watch her and she's doing ok. If they had to have a baby in a foreign country I'm glad it's Germany!

Gramma next. her 90th was the 17th (Monday) and I was going home last wkd anyway. Got the call a few days before - she's had a heart attack. We all went home, she's doing as well as can be expected for a 90 yr old (pretty darn good actually all things considered). She's full of **** and vinegar and is pretty much tiring everyone out...

which leads to my poor Mom.

11 years ago she had a kidney removed due to cancer. She's done great ever since - bounced right back and didn't slow down. the doc did tell her that sometimes when you have this kind of surgery that sometimes down the road there may be intestinal troubles (I guess due to scarring, maybe adhesion, etc?) and to be alert.

earlier this summer she did have an adhesion of sorts (it may have turned out to be twisted), very painful, she was in hospital for several days, no food and sedated to relax everything. it worked itself out.

she's back. apparently it hurt a *lot* worse this time. I've been up since 5 AM (Dad called) and I'm hoping this sorts itself out as quickly as the last time.

ugh. :(

Uhg, hope it gets better for all of them.

Missa
-I snorted when reading about you g-ma... my g-pa was just like that too! all **** & vinegar. They sure make life intresting and show you that life is worth fighting for no matter the age.

Last edited:
Elizabeth, I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I hope everything works out OK. :fcross:

Yikes.

Hang in there.

I don't suppose your Mom and Grandma are in the SAME hospital? Nah. That'd make it too easy.

Ugh indeed! Hang in there, E! We're all with you!

thanks ya'll. I'm hoping this is as "easy" as the last time.

Mark - nope, different hospitals. funny huh. (Erie has a number of hospitals/medical centers, and a lot of colleges too believe it or not)

Sorry to hear that, Beth.

The good news is that they're still around with good chances for recovery. And that you're close enough to go see them.... (well, 2 of the 3 anyway). And that your grandma is still around (I lost one when I was 7 or 8, and lost the other 10 years ago).

Will keep you in my thoughts.

woodstock said:
thanks ya'll. I'm hoping this is as "easy" as the last time.

Mark - nope, different hospitals. funny huh. (Erie has a number of hospitals/medical centers, and a lot of colleges too believe it or not)

Hope it all works out the best possible for you and everyone.
Be careful driving in new places...

I hope everything works out well for you.

<<<<Elizabeth>>>>> T&Ps and good vibes going out to everyone. Hope things improve!

terry

thanks everyone. Mom will be in for a few days yet, at least 3, and the pain killers have helped a lot. the main thing is getting it all to relax. Gramma will also likely be in for a while yet, and I found out Paige will be in at least a week more, and who knows, there is a chance they may keep her in til it's safe (early but safe) for a delivery. I'm going to give her a call in the morning, she's allowed to take calls finally.

woodstock said:
thanks everyone. Mom will be in for a few days yet, at least 3, and the pain killers have helped a lot. the main thing is getting it all to relax. Gramma will also likely be in for a while yet, and I found out Paige will be in at least a week more, and who knows, there is a chance they may keep her in til it's safe (early but safe) for a delivery. I'm going to give her a call in the morning, she's allowed to take calls finally.
I'll keep fingers and toes crossed for all of y'all!

hmmm... syre iz hrd to tipe w./ akl thius styff crxssed!@!

Sounds like the old "bad things come in threes" thing. Hope all works out well and soon.

thanks ya'll...

updates:

Mom is doing a lot better, the tube's out of her nose and she may go home in the next day or so. However she may have to have her gall bladder removed, they are going to monitor her and if that's the culprit out it comes. Quote: "well, they better do it quick because we're going to Vegas!" so she's going to be fine.

Gramma is doing ok, terrorising the staff and in general might be home in a week or so. not sure of when, yet.

talked to Paige in Germany y'day morning. (misdialed the first time, a Frau answered 'hallo' and I asked for Paige. she said something in German, too fast for me to understand. me: ist ein Krankenhaus? (nein). Ist ein Frauenklinik? (nein. click). oops.

anyway, we talked for a few hours - she is doing ok but isn't sure if she's going to be there for a bit yet. she's starting week 31 so if worse comes to worst, it might only be a month or so.

so, things are looking up!

woodstock said:
so, things are looking up!

I'm extremely relieved to see that things are starting to get better. I knew they would - they always do! Stay up!

woodstock said:
talked to Paige in Germany y'day morning. (misdialed the first time, a Frau answered 'hallo' and I asked for Paige. she said something in German, too fast for me to understand. me: ist ein Krankenhaus? (nein). Ist ein Frauenklinik? (nein. click). oops.
Try "spricst du english?" next time. ;)

Back