Mom’s In the hospital

Durable power of attorney, right now. Or whatever the New York equivalent is. Get your mother to sign on the dotted line. Isn’t a matter of if, but when. If you don’t you’ll be sorry. Get to Ohio and fly you to NY myself.

Last edited:
...and she's back. Do they offer "Visit 10 times get one free?"

I am just coming out of a breast biopsy on a repeat customer. The lady works at a local department store with a strong loyalty program. My bubbly technician assured her that we have a loyalty program too: After 3 breast biopsies, you get a free barium enema* !

* Neither procedure is particularly pleasant.

I've run into this with my parents years ago. My dad was rushed to the ER with chest pains while I was in college. I tried to call the house a few times off and on, but figured I was just missing them being home. This was before cell phones were commonplace. Finally after several days they called me, and thats when he admitted he had been in the hospital the whole time. Didn't want to worry me since I went to college decently far away.
If he had told you right away, what could you have done, as you were decently far away? Other than worry?

Rehab and PT can be done at home too. I don't blame her being worried about rehab. I just saw an article here about the state allowing COVID patients to be sent to long term care places to recover. I guess no lessons were learned about NY.

Keep her active, one way or another!

Dad, 85, had some issues earlier this year which put him in a hospital bed. Then his 'continuum of care' community locked down in March and the sedentary lifestyle killed his mobility. Once they opened up a bit, we strongly encouraged him to get some physical therapy, and he did! That paid big dividends, he was able to travel across the country last month and visit us on the mountain, navigated the 55 stairs at 7,500' like a pro.

By not calling me she’s not only panicked me

It's good she hangs on to her iPhone... add her to your "track my friends" and you'll know where she is. (If you don't have an iPhone, get a cheap used one, maybe $50; I don't think it even needs service for track my friends to work...) If it's time, consider the "help I've fallen and I can't get up" fob on her wrist or around her neck... that's saved the life of our uncle several times (rolled off the bed, got his head stuck between the bed and the wall, almost suffocated while pressing the button... paramedics got there just in time).

My Mom and Dad made it to 94 and 91, I was the designated hitter... Dad had CHF, Mom Alzheimer's. My uncle made it to 95 before his heart gave out. I got them trained to accept a one to two minute call every morning, "How'd you sleep? Need anything?" as I'm 120 miles away. When we traveled overseas, we got a service to make the calls. The better services try to have the same person call each day, so they can recognize if something is slightly off... at that age, dehydration, missing a pill, or accidentally taking pills twice, or a UTI can really knock them for a loop, and it's evident in a phone conversation. Then you can call in more help.

Anyway, that worked for me... and I often discovered things in those short calls they'd never have called to tell me, but that I needed to know.

A friend's great uncle had memory issues, but he'd been driving himself to the Y downtown every morning for decades. Then one morning, there was a detour. He was lost for 8 hours. He'd call to ask for help, but then forget, and keep driving... not sit still. Finally, he ran out of gas, and the cops found him. His wife didn't want to "compromise" him by using track my friends... instead, he stopped going to the Y. They easily could have afforded Uber, or even the children's version of Uber that provides supervision, or the paratransit bus. But wife felt that her husband's infirmity was embarrassing, and chose to hide it rather than help him. Ah well.

So... best wishes Ted. Don't know if my experiences will help, but they are my experiences. Keeping folks in their home as long as possible is very important. Memory care didn't bother my Mom much... My Dad just threw in the towel and gave up; I'd do that part differently, even though he made at home care very difficult. Long story.

Paul

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back