Mogas

Tmpendergrass

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tmpendergrass
I'm curious about a few things.
1. How many of you guys actually use mogas
2. If you use mogas, where do you get it. (At your airport, supply in your hangar, etc)
3. When modifications have to be made to a typical lycoming to run mogas
4. Once your modified to run mogas, can you still run 100ll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we can get it.

At a local airport. Also did a tanker run to a local race fuel place.

Don't have a Lyc, have a Continental.

No modifications required. Just an STC. And non-ethanol MoGas which is the hardest part. Most gas from automotive pumps is not allowed.

I've put about 1600 gallons of premium mogas through the Rotax engine on my airplane. When the plane is 10 gallons down, I fill up two five-gallon jugs at the gas station, take it out to the hanger and fill it up. I get a little sick every time I'm away from home and have to spend $6+/gal for 100LL.

Don't know a thing about a Lycoming.

1. How many of you guys actually use mogas. I do, I blend about 2/1 MoGas to 100 LL
2. If you use mogas, where do you get it. (At your airport, supply in your hangar, etc) Both, ethanol free 93 octane is available at airport for $4.25 and in town at $3.30
3. When modifications have to be made to a typical lycoming to run MoGas. Like Nate, I have a continental & high wing. No mods required here.
4. Once your modified to run mogas, can you still run 100ll Yes

And non-ethanol MoGas which is the hardest part. Most gas from automotive pumps is not allowed.

http://pure-gas.org

Last edited:
5 gallon cans that I fill at the corner gas station.

If you have a type certificated aircraft, the details of what you have to change (typically where to put the sticker) will be in the STC.

You need to find non-ethanol fuel for the typical Lycoming with the typical "avaition grade" fuel lines.

I run mogas through my IO 540 260 HP, 8.5 -, I burn 100% mogas when I am at my local airport. I burn 100ll when going CC. The plane will burn any ratio of fuel.

I have pumped well over 12,000 gallons of mogas through my pump. Note the dual filter set up.

fuel_tank.JPG

Every time I fill this up I save around $250.

Last edited:
The two auto fuel STC holders are the EAA and Petersen. First thing you do is see if your engine/plane combination is listed:

www.autofuelstc.com
www.eaa.org/autofuel

The only "mod" required that I know about is for certain PA-28's on the Petersen STC.

Generally, if you have a plane that was designed to run on 80/87 it probably has the STC available (and will run better on auto fuel than 100LL).

Lots of good information at both sites above.

I've seen a fuel airports with auto fuel on site but most truck it in either in jugs or using improvised tankage like the above. Jay Honeck, who's a regular here, built a fuel truck out of some tankage and an old compact pickup truck when he was in Iowa City. I don't know if the "Mighty Grape II" made the trip to Texas or not.

Whatever you do, PLEASE, PLEASE, follow the tenets of fuel safety. Understand that any falling fuel outside will generate static. I've seen more fires from defueling situations than anything else where fuel is left to flow from a removed tank drain into a catch basin. Normal fuel fillers (either pumps and fuel trucks) usually hold that falling distance to a minimum and people are pretty good about bonding both sides. If you use cans be very careful (especially plastic ones that are harder to bond). If you use your own tankage/hoses, get ones designed for fuel dispensing and put your bonding in place (Jay used a extension cord real with all three wires connected together at both ends ...one side a battery clip).

I run mogas through my IO 540 260 HP, 8.5 -, I burn 100% mogas when I am at my local airport. I burn 100ll when going CC. The plane will burn any ratio of fuel.

I have pumped well over 12,000 gallons of mogas through my pump. Note the dual filter set up.

fuel_tank.JPG

Every time I fill this up I save around $250.

Geico,

I did not know you could get to that hp on mogas. What octane? 91? What compression pistons?

I thought the biggest was the 225 hp IO-470-J or K .

That's a nice rig.

The two auto fuel STC holders are the EAA and Petersen. First thing you do is see if your engine/plane combination is listed:

www.autofuelstc.com
www.eaa.org/autofuel

And given the choice, if both are available for your plane, I'd go with EAA. The reason being that, if something ever goes awry with the original install, then EAA will replace the paperwork for a nominal paperwork charge. Petersen charges 1/2 the original cost. At least this is the way it was 10 years ago.

BTDT...my plane had the Petersen Autogas STC when I bought it but it hadn't been properly documented and the original Petersen paperwork was lost. At that time (2004) Peterson's charged $0.50/HP to replace the paperwork, or $117.50 for my bird...EAA would have charged $20.

I run it in my Rotax 912 powered aircraft. I pick up ten gallons on the way to the airport in two five gallon fuel containers. Since I only burn 4.5 GPH that's plenty for a little fun. I use a fuel stabilizer like Stabill to keep the residual fuel from going bad. The other day I think I paid $3.53 a gallon !

I'm curious about a few things.
1. How many of you guys actually use mogas
2. If you use mogas, where do you get it. (At your airport, supply in your hangar, etc)
3. When modifications have to be made to a typical lycoming to run mogas
4. Once your modified to run mogas, can you still run 100ll

1. I do.
2. One of the few local stations that carry non-ethanol car gas.
3. "Typical" varies; if the engine is approved for 80 octane, it's probably good for car gas with little or no modification. If it is designed for 100LL, more extensive modifications would be necessary, probably not cost-effective.
4. No modifications were necessary on my aircraft, so can switch back and forth. I run 100LL in the winter to prevent auto fuel in the tank from getting stale.

Ron Wanttaja

Geico,

I did not know you could get to that hp on mogas. What octane? 91? What compression pistons?

I thought the biggest was the 225 hp IO-470-J or K .

That's a nice rig.

IO 540 is standard at 8.5 -1 and 260 HP.

Yes, 91 Octane.

I have a 550 gallon tank on legs, with 30 foot hose and fuel spigot, and water filter in line. Have a local distributor that holds only 91octane no ethanol fuel in its local tanks, delivering its ethanol laden stuff by separate tanker to other small retailers. The owner is avid about E0 being available to boaters, etc. locally, which I just piggy back off of. Its a wonderful situation. And my 1963 Cherokee 235 really runs smooth in mogas. When we changed used up plugs recently, I realized what prior years before I owned this plane did to the plugs. Little lead balls in the ceramic crevices around the worn plugs. New ones have seen nothing but mogas, and only an occasional 100ll top off when forced to.

I have a 550 gallon tank on legs, with 30 foot hose and fuel spigot, and water filter in line. Have a local distributor that holds only 91octane no ethanol fuel in its local tanks, delivering its ethanol laden stuff by separate tanker to other small retailers. The owner is avid about E0 being available to boaters, etc. locally, which I just piggy back off of. Its a wonderful situation. And my 1963 Cherokee 235 really runs smooth in mogas. When we changed used up plugs recently, I realized what prior years before I owned this plane did to the plugs. Little lead balls in the ceramic crevices around the worn plugs. New ones have seen nothing but mogas, and only an occasional 100ll top off when forced to.

First post...............

Welcome to POA...

:cheers:

How the heck does my profile pic show up? Im proud of my "stuff".

Back