Modern, sleek, sexy Amphibians

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Talking with my wife about the prospect of mixing boating (a topic I know next to nothing about) with aviation, I wondered what craft would fit the above subject line.

Can some of you post photos of what you think fits the thread title?

Thank you

19634d1299762889t-schneider-trophy-winners-mc72a_486.jpg

Two out of three

For modern there is only the Seawind, however amphibious and float planes have little crossover with recreational boating unless your boat is simply a means of transportation to your destination; that is until you get into the bigger seaplanes. There is a nice Mallard based at PMP that is outfitted as an RV, and I have seen similar done with an Albatross. I think the apex of the lot is a PBY.

Last edited:
Icon Aviation

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 32
index.php

Sea Ray. One of the very few aircraft that can do retractable, taildragger, and amphibian (though not all at the same time).

My father built a Seawind.

Attachments

• DSC01106.JPG
    DSC01106.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 38
  • DSC_1218[1].jpg
    DSC_1218[1].jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 26
Seawind has been around for a long time.

Go buy me a new one, right now.

There were very few of the experimentals built, and you can't start one now (no kit/plans available any more), and the certified version isn't, well, certified yet!

:(

There were very few of the experimentals built, and you can't start one now (no kit/plans available any more), and the certified version isn't, well, certified yet!

Three of them on Barnstormers right now including an incomplete 2012 that will be new when competed, the other two are flying.

I'm sure there are some for sale, just not new? But there are only about 60 in the US. There are no more kits for sale, but there are still a few around that should be completed at some point.

Modern and sleek the sea wind and the I con really look good.

Rumor is it won't be certified due to spin characteristics.

I have no experience with them though

Rumor is it won't be certified due to spin characteristics.

They crashed the flight test bird a few years ago, but they've made changes that are supposed to allow it to be certified. They just announced a "stall/spin prevention system" a couple of weeks ago, and since I first heard about that a couple of years ago, I'm guessing the PR from a couple of weeks ago is an indication that they've got the FAA on board.

I heard they think the test pilot committed suicide.

I agree about SeaMax. Unfortunately, it's unpopular in the U.S. despite flying all over the world. Last time I checked, only 12 were registered, and only 4 were the S-LSAs. But IMHO it's definitely slicker and sexier than SeaRey.

Two new entrants in the same space are Super Petrel and Freedom S100. Personally I like the lines of the latter. S100 does not fly as much as SeaMax, of which more than 1000 were build. It's more like a couple of dozens. Still, it's really sexy looking. It uses a cantileiver plastic wing like A5. SeaMax loses in sexiness by using fabric-covered wing and motor mounted on struts like in 1925.

I'm not counting Icon A5 and a few others who are not ready to deliver. The promos for A5 are very sexy, no doubt.

BTW, they build a rather cute twin amphibian in Russia, called LA-8. About 20 were built and production is ongoing. It is a different class airplane, powered by two IO-550s or two of those odd Friench inline-six. Seats 8 or so.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 23
BTW, they build a rather cute twin amphibian in Russia, called LA-8. About 20 were built and production is ongoing. It is a different class airplane, powered by two IO-550s or two of those odd Friench inline-six. Seats 8 or so.

Ooooh.... I want one!

I agree about SeaMax. Unfortunately, it's unpopular in the U.S. despite flying all over the world. Last time I checked, only 12 were registered, and only 4 were the S-LSAs. But IMHO it's definitely slicker and sexier than SeaRey.

Two new entrants in the same space are Super Petrel and Freedom S100. Personally I like the lines of the latter. S100 does not fly as much as SeaMax, of which more than 1000 were build. It's more like a couple of dozens. Still, it's really sexy looking. It uses a cantileiver plastic wing like A5. SeaMax loses in sexiness by using fabric-covered wing and motor mounted on struts like in 1925.

I'm not counting Icon A5 and a few others who are not ready to deliver. The promos for A5 are very sexy, no doubt.

How much do they cost?

How much do they cost?

I am tracking it on Russian forums, and recent versions broke 1 million U.S. dollars. It used to go for about $600k in 2007, but not anymore. This newest version with Czech TP100 turboprops goes for about $1100000. Everyone on forums like to complain that they are too expensive, but then someone buys them.

Back