Mode s but don't talk to ATC; on flightaware or not?

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
Just wondering, if you have a mode S transponder, it is on during flight, you are in an area with radar coverage, you are not talking to ATC, and your aircraft has not participated in the BARR program...
will flightaware have record of your flight?

Nope, and even the non-IFR tracks it reports (when you're getting FF or such) seem to have some bizarre problems at times. FlightAware says the non-IFR ones have some odd glitches that aren't there fault but come from the source.

You might check out an app/website such as CloudAhoy that will show you lots more than flightaware.

(Is flightaware a vanity thing?)

Interesting. I had never heard of cloudahoy before. I dunno about flightaware being a vanity thing; my plane is a BARR participant, I don't have mode s, and frequently don't speak to ATC.

You might check out an app/website such as CloudAhoy that will show you lots more than flightaware.

I use it to see my track over the ground and the altitudes and ground speeds I had during the flight. Other than that, yeah, I suppose it's a vanity thing.

Vanity thing?

Since almost all my flights are on plan, I use Flightaware to later log and review my flights (along with my EFIS logs). Their ability to include a meaningful Nexrad image with the flight log is often interesting.

I'll have to checkout CloudAhoy...

You might be picked up by PlaneFinder/PlanePlotter/FlightRadar, though, if you have ADS-B Out installed. Even if you don't, you might be plotted via MLAT. That won't give you a full tracks view like FlightAware, but would show your plane in the general vicinity.

Edit: Also, might be visible on Passur' AirportMonitor system.

Try cloud ahoy ,seems to be great.better for personal use they don't tell the world.I still enjoy flight aware to keep track of my friends when they file.

The FAA does not receive mode S. Well, more accurately, it's received on many radars and then immediately stripped out before leaving the site.

My understanding is that anyone with a 1090 Mhz receiver can receive your mode S signal. Check FlightRadar24, they seem to have a large network of receivers piped in.

Regarding CloudAhoy, interesting site and service. Probably a bit more than I'm interested in.

Can someone tell me how they get the data? It seems they use GPS data so I presume it requires loading your own GPS data?

Just can't figure that out from browsing the site.

Cloud ahoy is totally different. You run the app on your phone/tablet and it collects GPS data about the flight for later "debriefing".

I like flightaware as it will most times show your expected routing if it is different than the routing filed.

Interesting. I had never heard of cloudahoy before. I dunno about flightaware being a vanity thing; my plane is a BARR participant, I don't have mode s, and frequently don't speak to ATC.

Flightaware is automatic so I don't see it as a vanity thing either, and it often loses me when I am low and occasionally shows an erroneous track. I don't ask for it (not sure you can) but I do pretty much always talk to ATC. I have found it useful to give my tail (or flight # when flying commercial) to people who are going to pick me up at the airport in case of delays.

Regarding CloudAhoy, interesting site and service. Probably a bit more than I'm interested in.

Can someone tell me how they get the data? It seems they use GPS data so I presume it requires loading your own GPS data?

Just can't figure that out from browsing the site.

Your transponder squitter contains the information, unencrypted. If someone has a 1090 Mhz receiver, you can view all the Mode S transponders transmitting in the area. Some people build networks of these receivers and put it on the internet.

As I've posted here before, this is why the FAA reluctantly supports TIS-B and the ADS-B roll out will fail (ADS-B being Mode S Extended Squitter with more information in it then normal Mode S). If an aircraft is required to have ADS-B, the BARR is useless. There is no privacy, and that is politically unacceptable.

Your transponder squitter contains the information, unencrypted. If someone has a 1090 Mhz receiver, you can view all the Mode S transponders transmitting in the area. Some people build networks of these receivers and put it on the internet.

As I've posted here before, this is why the FAA reluctantly supports TIS-B and the ADS-B roll out will fail (ADS-B being Mode S Extended Squitter with more information in it then normal Mode S). If an aircraft is required to have ADS-B, the BARR is useless. There is no privacy, and that is politically unacceptable.

Hmmm, that's an interesting thought. I never considered that aspect of ADS-B. So, you think that this is going to be an issue? For me it doesn't matter but I can see people caring about leaving a digital trail everywhere.

Who is going to care and fight it?. The airlines and commercial operators don't seem to care right now. I'm sure a lot of private pilots will care, but I don't see how that will change anything on the FAA side.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I would care, I just don't think it will make a difference.

I can't figure out how a flight gets on flight aware. My latest trip was on flight aware but some are not. I fly from a class c so not talking to ATC is not an option.

Who is going to care and fight it?. The airlines and commercial operators don't seem to care right now. I'm sure a lot of private pilots will care, but I don't see how that will change anything on the FAA side.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I would care, I just don't think it will make a difference.

Oh, it'll matter plenty. NBAA will put out a call and the political pressure those members have will come. When there was the slightest hint that the BARR was failing, fltplan.com sprung in overnight with the DotCom callsign and they were everywhere - simply because operators didn't care who saw them flying as DCM. There was no way a civilian could figure out who they were (short of listening to ground and having eyes on the plane).

It's a legitimate concern from both a security aspect and a business aspect.

I can't figure out how a flight gets on flight aware. My latest trip was on flight aware but some are not. I fly from a class c so not talking to ATC is not an option.

This is how they get flight information.

Only flight information for correlated tracks is released. If a flight remains local, it may not be correlated through NADIN. Typically only flights that require coordination between facilities will be put in the computer (thus NADIN). If you're local, meh, nevermind.

Back