Mode C post-ADS-B

hamer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
hamer
As I understand it, a Mode C transponder will still be required for a squawk code once ADS-B goes into full effect, but for how long? My plan is to install the tailight from uAvionix, it would be nice if I could ditch the transponder at that point.

Anyone know if there's a long term plan to ditch Mode C all together?

As I understand it, a Mode C transponder will still be required for a squawk code once ADS-B goes into full effect, but for how long? My plan is to install the tailight from uAvionix, it would be nice if I could ditch the transponder at that point.

If you have the uAvonix TailBeacon, you'll need to keep your transponder - period, I think. That and the wingtip light sense the transponder squawk code and altitude from the transponder and use that for the UAT transmission. They can't operate on their own.

You still need it in certain controlled airspace, in fact, that same airspace requiring ADSB out. So its a symbiotic relationship. Going way any time in the next decade? Not a chance.

Indefinitely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS-B requires a transponder. It can either be a single piece transponder sending all information over 1090ES (e.g. Garmin 345) or split with mode C over 1090 and UAT.
Skybeacon is a split solution so you need to still maintain that transponder.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Back