modaero?

MichiPilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
MichiPilot
So did anyone go? I heard it was pretty terrible...low attendance, very over promised, and nothing all that exciting to see.

I think that awful picture someone described of one single lone plane in the camping ground pretty much sums it up. The multitude of one star reviews on facebook completes the picture for me. Happy I didn't waste the time going to be honest.

So did anyone go? I heard it was pretty terrible...low attendance, very over promised, and nothing all that exciting to see.

Oh, come on. What could be more exciting than drone racing!

I think that awful picture someone described of one single lone plane in the camping ground pretty much sums it up. The multitude of one star reviews on facebook completes the picture for me. Happy I didn't waste the time going to be honest.

Really? On the Facebook page it said this... "MODAERO starts in just under a week! Campsites are nearly full but there are a few left, get yours today." Maybe that was their attempt at building hype for the event.... sort of goes along with the theme of at least half the people giving it a 5 star were associated with it in some manner, a few were put in there months ago.

I read about this event in AVweb about 6 months ago and was interested because it's located somewhat close to me, however I'm working three concurrent proposal activities for work so free time is a bit limited. Per the article their agreement with the airport is multi year so it will happen next year unless they can get out of their commitment. Doubt I'll go next year though based on the reviews I've read... also well I can't stand people defending the event with 'First year, be better next year', might as well change it to 'MODAero: We tried our best!". The unfortunate part is the old sane 'you only have one chance to make a first impression' applies and all those negative reviews will resonate for eternity on Facebook. Even without that though the vendors who didn't have success this year, won't return next... those people who didn't enjoy it won't come back and will tell 10x people about their negative experience.

I don't get the targeting of 'Millennials' in attempt to 'make flying cool again' (Quote from an AVWeb article)... is it not 'cool' if 20 somethings aren't doing it in droves? You're taking a niche aviation market and reducing it further targeting a specific generation. I get the whole SXSW meets Oshkosh king of thing, but those were started small and grew organically through grass roots to what they are now. Just from looking at the reviews and the pictures it seems this event has an identity crisis... is it a fly in, is it a music festival, is it a job fair, is it a technology expo, is it a drone racing competition..

I heard an unverified rumor that the camping was occupied largely by staff and volunteers, not visitors.

"Flying" magazine has an article on it in this month's issue. Sadly it was a bust apparently, and they basically cancelled the last day "due to weather".

Yeah, reading the Flying article it sounds like it was an event that made promises it couldn't keep. Some of the comments from the article sounded like some shady activities were going on. Not a grass roots event like the way OSH started at all.

Anyone have a link for the article?

OSH is already "cool" (except for the over-focusing on antique warbirds).

Back