Mock checkride fun

Fredbob711

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Fredbob711
So, over the weekend I had a mock checkride to help prepare for the real deal. Overall it was pretty tame, the instructor was someone I'd only talked to a handful of times and had never flown with. He initially told me it should take about 2-3 hours total for the oral and practical. And of course he was going to grill me on everything in excess of what a DPE would do that way the actual would seem simple by comparison.

So we started around 1 PM, and we go through 3+ hours of back and forth, a small amount of BS'ing in there. Actually a DPE came in with a student for his actual checkride about an hour into our mock oral and left before we were done. The only thing I didn't do well on was weather, specifically fronts and pressure systems. So I get to review that with my instructor.

We finish the oral and go to see if there is a plane available. But first I have to check the weather because there are thunderstorms forecast for the area that evening. The briefer says we should have about an hour and a half of good weather in the area. So I go in, and we get the keys to one of the school's 172's, one I haven't flown in since probably October because my usual is being used by another student. But hey, a 172 is a 172, I'm just not familiar with the avionics which he understands.

So he watches as I do preflight, he approves of everything I do, including not removing the tie-downs until preflight is complete. I blanked and had to look up oil requirements in the operating limitations, but he was ok with that. He gave me a couple suggestions on the preflight (leaving the engine access open so I remember that I need to verify oil level, etc.) So we get in, I give a very abbreviated safety talk since he already has his seatbelt on and off we go.

We do our runup at the hold short and everything checks out. We wait a minutes or two for a couple planes in the pattern to land (one of them being the above checkride student), and then he tells me to do a short field takeoff. I pulled back on the yoke a bit abruptly and chirped the stall horn on rotate, but otherwise had a good takeoff.

We flew off to the practice area, towards the thunderstorms that are coming in so we know it'll be an abbreviated flight. We do slow flight, power on & off stalls, steep turns, and then he has me put on the foggles. We do unusual attitude recoveries, he gave me a couple pointers on that then gives me a couple headings and altitudes to fly.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Here comes the fun part. As I'm flying along under the foggles, I have a general impression of where we are, based on where we started and the headings we've flown, but I'm not entirely positive. Then out of nowhere I start to smell something, and it smells terrible. My first thought is "it wasn't me, was it him?" which I quickly realized wasn't the case because it wasn't that kind of smell. My next thought was "what in the world are we flying over?" And then the smell intensified so I spoke up and asked him what the smell was. He paused for a second and then said "I have the controls, take off the foggles." Oh crap. He then gets on the radio, "Smartt Airport, skyhawk 12345, coming in for immediate landing, suspected electrical fire". Oh ****, but I'm feeling oddly calm, probably because there was someone with so much experience in the plane with me and no smoke or visible flames. I waited for him to finish that transmission and then shut off the master & avionics switch as instructed. He proceeds to shut off each individual component of the avionics stack and flips back on the main radio only so we can make sure everyone stays out of our way. He dumps the flaps in case we have to shut off the master again or we lose power, and drops the plane from about 800' directly above the airport onto the runway for a pretty nice landing.

We shut down completely once we're off the runway and the FBO sends out a line guy with a fire extinguisher in the cart. Thankfully the extinguisher wasn't necessary and we got towed back to the FBO.

Talking with my instructor inside, he said I did very well on the oral, just need to review the weather stuff. And the practical portion (what we got done) I did very well. During the emergency he said I did the right thing by immediately asking if the master should be shut down and remaining calm throughout. Though he was tempted to have me finish the landing when he realized there wasn't any immediate danger.

So I'm meeting with my regular instructor this week for some ground review on weather and we're going to go up for one or two flights and then hopefully get my checkride scheduled.

Sounds like an interesting experience! Lowering the flaps while expecting your electrical system to fail is bad idea. A go around with no electrical system, full flaps would suck.

Wow! Although a great write up and interesting experience I'm wondering what the value is in spending the money and stress involved in a faux check ride.

Sounds like an interesting experience! Lowering the flaps while expecting your electrical system to fail is bad idea. A go around with no electrical system, full flaps would suck.

It is an interesting dichotomy now that you mention it. Expecting the worst (electrical system failure) while also anticipating the best (good landing). I guess the only difference there was he could control the landing, he couldn't control what happened with the electrical system. I didn't question, as of the second he took the controls he was PIC.

Wow! Although a great write up and interesting experience I'm wondering what the value is in spending the money and stress involved in a faux check ride.

For me there were several things that made it worth it.

1. Experience with a different instructor. It makes a difference for me just to have someone different sitting there. Also, I'm used to my instructor's tendencies, and he's used to mine, a different set of eyes can find things that we've both missed and offer suggestions in a way I haven't heard before.
2. The oral portion was a huge area of concern for me. I can know material, but have issues recalling it and putting it into understandable phrases when I'm put on the spot. Having gone through one that was more in-depth than the actual will be, I should be less stressed and nervous when the time comes which should help with the initial issues.
3. It was a confidence booster for me, having someone other than my instructor (who I fly with regularly) telling me I did a good job makes me more confident going into my checkride.

I did one and it was worth every penny. For one, flying with different instructors has been great and I learned new things with him. Another, it was my first time flying with someone besides my CFI. On the oral side, he was really into systems being a former airline pilot, and we really went deep into engine mechanics and the like.

As far as how much it helped for my actual, I'd say it was more helpful in my overall knowledge-building and increasing my flying skills. So far I've flown with four CFIs now: my primary CFI, a faux-checkride, my check ride, and my dad, and each has had different areas of primary focus. I'm sure that'll continue to be true as I fly with more.

I did one and it was worth every penny. For one, flying with different instructors has been great and I learned new things with him. Another, it was my first time flying with someone besides my CFI. On the oral side, he was really into systems being a former airline pilot, and we really went deep into engine mechanics and the like.

As far as how much it helped for my actual, I'd say it was more helpful in my overall knowledge-building and increasing my flying skills. So far I've flown with four CFIs now: my primary CFI, a faux-checkride, my check ride, and my dad, and each has had different areas of primary focus. I'm sure that'll continue to be true as I fly with more.

:yeahthat:

In the course of my flying "career" -- and it's not really a career, since I'm flying only for fun, not to make a living -- I've flown with nine different instructors, and each of them taught me something new. If nothing else, a mock checkride should help give you the confidence for the real thing, since you'll be flying with someone you've never flown with before.

Hoo boy…

Unless the field was real short, the flaps should have stayed up.

172s will land nicely with no flaps. They will not go around nicely with full flap.

AND flaps draw quite a lot of current. Not a good thing if you think there is an electrical fire.

I've done no-flap landings at 2400 foot fields in 172s, with a lot to spare. It's not difficult.

Last edited:
Good story!

Good luck on your checkride

Meh...If I suspect fire, a go around is likely the last thing I would plan on. When it comes to fire, getting the thing on the ground is my only priority (regardless of whether it's an airport or not) and generally speaking, the correct mindset should be that you will only have one shot at the approach with no chance of going missed. Even if it is only a suspected fire, alot can quickly deteriorate in the 3 minutes it takes to fly another pattern with potentially deadly consequences.

Back