MOA Question

Interesting take on it. No IFR traffic and probably less VFR traffic because a lot of us elect to just go around. The military seems to do a pretty good job of monitoring whats going on around their airplanes. But then there was that F16 tailpiping a bug smasher a few months ago. I don't remember if that was in a MOA or on an IR or VR route. Those are in seeandavoid also.

The F-16 was doing practice instrument approaches so he wasn't on any IR/VR or utilizing special use airspace.

I've got no problem with guys going VFR through MOA's (it is legal after all). I think, however, that one important fact that folks should be aware of is that military aircraft working a MOA are frequently not in direct communications with the controlling agency. So their level of awareness of non-participating traffic might not be what many would expect. We will always check in and check out with said agency, but during the mission portion of the flight, typically will be up another discrete freq that ATC may or may not be aware of. Of course we can hear them on guard, but there just isn't a very feasible conduit for regular traffic updates, a la VFR flight following or IFR control. Just something to think about, not trying to get into the "should I fly through or not" debate that has certainly been beaten to death over time.

Back