Mnemonics

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
I don't like mnemonics. It is easier for me to remember the procedure the mnemonic is supposed to remind me of than the mnemonic itself.

Having said that, how many mnemonics are there? How about a list. How many can we come up with?

GUMPS
AV1ATE
CCCCC (VFR lost procedure)

We probably need a mnemonic to help us remember all of the mnemonics.

I don't like mnemonics. It is easier for me to remember the procedure the mnemonic is supposed to remind me of than the mnemonic itself.

Having said that, how many mnemonics are there? How about a list. How many can we come up with?

Don't the airlines have any good ones?? :D

Why use them when you have a checklist/flow check.

Tomato flames. (91.205 )
Craft. (Clearances)
Kraft. (Equipment)
Grabcard

Last edited:
Honestly, the only mnemonic I use is GUMPS. Once I started flying a retract, remembering to put the gear down became very, very important. :)

The only thing that sucks though is that I keep saying "Gear, Under... wait, GAS, undercarriage" etc.

I can't even remember how nmwewmomics is spelled...howz am I supposed to remember what any of them stand for? :dunno:

I work on Boeings and Airbus

Don't even ask me :rolleyes:

The only one I ever used was GOOSEACAT for required stuff in my plane.

I seem to remember one from training, FATCOWS, but I do not remember what it is for.

I'm sure there is some scientific notation to express a number that large, I just can't find 'infinity' on my iPad.

Lol, rolf, ogm, yeah I hate them too and don't use them. I can't even pronounce "mnemonics" let alone spell it unaided.

CIG FT PR (said: Sig foot pair. controls, inst, gas, flaps, trim, prop)

New Reels Catch Fish So Purchase Some
True Virgins Make Dull Companions
(wait, no, wrong conveyance :) )
ROY-G-BIV
Bad Boys....But Violet Gives Willingly

I use GUMPS when landing, and CIGAR when taking off, although CIGAR is sort of my own rendition: Controls, Instruments, Gas, Altimeter, Radios

I was taught CIGAR during my instrument training for the "pre-approach" briefing. Course, identify (ILS), Go over missed approach, Altimeter (get ASOS/AWOS), Radios on proper frequencies.

Honestly, the only mnemonic I use is GUMPS. Once I started flying a retract, remembering to put the gear down became very, very important. :)

The only thing that sucks though is that I keep saying "Gear, Under... wait, GAS, undercarriage" etc.

And I don't have retractable gear or carbs so GUMPS is out for me.

AROW is the most important, btw. The others are non essential.

And I don't have retractable gear or carbs so GUMPS is out for me.

Arrow is the most important, yes.

NDB TOP for hold entries.

Nose - direct
Body - teardrop
Opposite - parallel

Disagree. I own my plane. That check gets done, once, at annual and then I don't think about it again.

GUMPS is run 4-5 times each time I land.

WIRE for an instrument approach:

Weather - obtain ATIS/AWOS
flight Instruments - set and check
Radios - set and check
Environment - brief the approach plate

TOMATO FLAMES or similar never made sense to me. The POH has the required equipment list. There is no reason to commit those items to memory.

ATOMATOFLAMES
FLAPS
GRABCARDD
ARROW
TTTTT
WIRED
CCCCC
MEA
AVEF
CRAFT
CIGAR
GUMPS
AV1ATE
SMACFUM
+too many more.

RTFBOOBAG :rolleyes:

Nauga,
Semper defensive

I just use Gas on fullest
Undercarriage down and bolted
Mixture rich
Prop fixed
S lip when needed. 'cause I can't remember what the "S" is for.

On Takeoff, I'll just run across the panel, left to right making certian that DG is set, Alt. is set, mags on both, Master on, fuel pump on, mixture rich, flaps set, trim set, fuel fullest. "let's rock"

GUMPS

Gear down
Undercarriage
Make sure the gear is down
Put the damned gear down
Stupid, THE GEAR.

Or, for me, "Switch(es)"... POH calls for fuel boost pump on for landing.

Back