MN deputy hit by truck

Joe Williams said:
This is a brutal video. It's hard to believe this guy got away with just minor injuries.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,157042,00.html

The story mentioned something I heard about a month or two ago in that state law requires drivers to move over to adjacent lanes when a patrol car is stopped along the side. While this might improve an officer's safety somewhat, I can't imagine they really want us to pinch off one of two lanes on the freeway everytime there's a speeder stop or fender bender. Chances are that would create more accidents. AFaIK no one has ever paid any attention to this law so far and I doubt that many ever will. It also seems like the law would have you pulling into oncoming traffic on a two lane road. I do slow down and give the poor trooper as much room as I can without leaving my lane and it appears to me that most drivers don't even do that.

rrata
lancefisher said:
The story mentioned something I heard about a month or two ago in that state law requires drivers to move over to adjacent lanes when a patrol car is stopped along the side.

Law or no law, I think this is a good practice to follow given it can be done safely. You see it everyday where something is happening on the shoulder and some idiot whizzes right by with a clear lane to the left...not that I advocate "nanny laws" which are typically unenforcable in a practical sense.

:dunno:

Last edited:
Back