MLK Day

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Today is MLK's B-day.

How appropriate as I was leaving for my trip to Finland that I ran into the man who was standing next to MLK when he was assassinated. At ORD terminal 1 (UAL) Jesse Jackson was standing right next to me as I was on the phone. It was really interesting seeing all the people come up to him and shake his hand. He was very friendly and courteous. I have seen some celebs hate their fame But Rev. Jackson took it all in stride as people were snapping pictures and talking to him.

Wow Scott, that is really cool!

Thank you for the "phone picture mail" from Finland yesterday too, very impressed!

Woah! I met a guy a few days ago who was baptized by MLK.

I've always wondered, if he wasn't killed, would there be a MLK day?

Do we ever have national holidays created in honor of and named after people who are still living? It seems improbable.

Dr. King was a brave soul and, like each of us, a fallible human being. He had a way of communicating, though, and he knew his message was just.

We would all be better-off had he not been martyred.

I didn't realize this was about MLK when U2 released it; wasn't until years later I found that out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJCGYn_nhGQ

The History Channel had something last week on the JFK assassination. I was a young man (in HS) when this occurred; the program put things together that I had experienced piece meal. A fella I had always disliked said something very compelling near the end. Words to the effect of what would have happened to our country if three great leaders hadn't been assassinated: JFK, MLK RFK within a four year time frame.. Makes one wonder if it's truly a Democracy when popular agents of change can be eliminated. I don't have much in common with Tom Hayden, but this did evoke a lot of thought.

Sad time in our nation's history.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
The National Civil Right museum is built into and around the Lorraine Hotel. This is the picture looking up tot he spot where he was murdered. When you go to the museum you get routed through a lot of displays and interesting history and then you finish up on the 2nd floor looking out one of the motel windows right at the spot. It was a little eerie.

Attachments

• IMG_9276.jpg
    IMG_9276.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
Do we ever have national holidays created in honor of and named after people who are still living? It seems improbable.

Dr. King was a brave soul and, like each of us, a fallible human being. He had a way of communicating, though, and he knew his message was just.

We would all be better-off had he not been martyred.

Spike I think what Ed was getting at was not that he died but did the way he died. As in if he died of a heart attack in 1982 would that make a difference. Still doesnt' take away from what he stood for.

Spike I think what Ed was getting at was not that he died but did the way he died. As in if he died of a heart attack in 1982 would that make a difference. Still doesnt' take away from what he stood for.

I guess we can always wonder what he would have done in the intervening years... Dr. King had a particular kind of charisma, a way of communicating, conveying his passion and persuading people to approach change in a way which was palatable to all but the most hidebound.

Here's what really irks me. I think MLK was a great man and did a lot of good for the civil rights movement. Although I know I'll get flamed, I have to say it . . . how come we don't celebrate Lincoln's birthday or President's day like we do MLK day? Lincoln signed the emancipation proclamation and this country has had many great presidents - but this ONE guy gets a day set aside where there are demonstrations/vigils/walks all across the country, and of course at virtually every public university, and many financial institutions have the day off (my wife enjoys that).

Seems to me that the political correctness has gone WAY too far! Personally I don't see color (cue Stephen Colbert) and believe people should be recognized solely on who they are and what they have done, so someone convince me that the way the day is treated has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he was African-American.

I'm now putting on my flame retardant suit and surrounding myself with foam :)

Last edited:
Personally I don't see color (cue Stephen Colbert) and believe people should be recognized solely on who they are and what they have done, so someone convince me that the way the day is treated has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he was African-American.

Of course it does! So what? The man is a symbol. Your opinion is noted but if the country followed it then really we shouldn't be having national holidays named after anyone. Lincoln being an example. You need to learn more about Lincoln. He deserves his own holiday no more than any other President IMO.

Last edited:
Back