Miyazaki movies

kath

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Katherine
I watched "Porco Rosso" last night. If you've never heard of it, it's a Japanese anime movie about a bounty hunter seaplane pilot who is a pig (literally... because of a curse). The story is a bit strange, but there are lots of great flying scenes and dogfighting. My favorite is a sequence where our hero is trying to lift off out of a canal in Milan while being chased by Italian secret police... Another where he performs graceful aerobatics over the garden of a beautiful woman as a way of "saying hi"... There is also a very moving scene which theorizes about where fallen aviators go when they die... Anyway it's worth seeing.

I don't know much about Miyazaki (the director), but all of his movies seem to have some kind of flying theme. My favorite Miyazaki film of all time is "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" which has a lot of flying in it too. The heroine (Nausicaa) spends a great deal of the movie flying what can only be described as the COOLEST motorglider I've ever seen! :D

--Kath

kath said:
I don't know much about Miyazaki (the director), but all of his movies seem to have some kind of flying theme. My favorite Miyazaki film of all time is "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" which has a lot of flying in it too. The heroine (Nausicaa) spends a great deal of the movie flying what can only be described as the COOLEST motorglider I've ever seen! :D

I haven't seen those. I've seen Totolo, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, and Princess Mononoke . They are all wonderful films.

Brian Austin said:
Uhm...we're talking about cartoons here, right? :D
Animation not just cartoons. I love Miyazaki's movies too, He big flying one that has not been mentioned yet is Castle in the Sky, also a very good movie. In addition to his flying theme you will find many themes related to Shintoism and the importance of nature.

wangmyers said:
I haven't seen those. I've seen Totolo, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, and Princess Mononoke . They are all wonderful films.

Spirited Away, though perhaps the one I've seen most targeted for children, is my favorite, followed by Princess Mononoke. I'll have to see Porco Russo thanks for the review. This guy is a creative genius.

Last edited:
Ever since I saw Totoro and was awed by the beauty of the artwork and the story, Miyazaki is on my Top Ten List of people I would most like to meet. Porco Rosso is next on my list of Ghibli films to get on DVD.

And animated film, anime or otherwise, are definitely NOT "cartoons". Some of them are absolutely not for children, although most of Miyazaki's are family friendly, especially Totoro and Kiki (for all ages, I'd put over 10 on Spirited Away and the others.) I like watching them in Japanese w/English subtitles sometimes so you can see how the dialogue was changed.

Nausicaa Of The Valley of the Wind is another good one with lots of flying and messages not to mess with the balance of nature.

Excellent info/fansite for all Miyazaki films: http://www.nausicaa.net

terry

Last edited:
Who said cartoons were just for children?

Look at it as an art form all you want. Anime, manga, cartoons, comic books, whatever, all boil down to one thing for me: lousy entertainment. But I'm also a movie/TV snob and rarely watch it, preferring to pick up a book or go to the shop for my recreation.

Hey Kath,

My son also loves Miyazaki movies. I saw your post and had to ask him if he knew of the movies you mentioned, but since i didn't have it on hand, i ended up asking him "say do you know of these Anime by someone, er, M something, and she has a flying machine and, er.... " (memory loss mom, er) and before i could muddle through more bad description, he recited the names of the movies you posted and told me Miyasaki was incredible.

One thing about Real Japanese Anime is that the artwork is so detailed that one forgets it is anime in the face of lack of bad acting (which seems to be rampant in movies nowadays).

Anyway, thanks for the post. For about thirty seconds my 18yo thought i was sort of Cool

-s:p

sierra said:
Hey Kath,

One thing about Real Japanese Anime is that the artwork is so detailed that one forgets it is anime in the face of lack of bad acting (which seems to be rampant in movies nowadays).

-s:p

I'll definately be looking for the flying film Kath mentioned.
Since stumbling across Princess Mononeke with its incredible scenery and other details, I'll check out anything by Miyazaki. Those Japanese work like hell to get those minute details in anime. If they had the resources of America, they'd rule the World.

Brian Austin said:
Uhm...we're talking about cartoons here, right? :D
Perhaps....although one could also say that Da Vinci's works were 'just drawings' ;)

Anime is practically an art form in it's own right, there are even a whole bunch of genres within the blanket we call 'Anime'.

Wiki has a pretty interesting overview of the origins of Anime...certainly more to it than the average cartoon...especially some of the more....lets say 'adult themed' genres :hairraise:

Edit : Forgot the link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime

kath said:
I watched "Porco Rosso" last night. If you've never heard of it, it's a Japanese anime movie about a bounty hunter seaplane pilot who is a pig (literally... because of a curse). The story is a bit strange,

Some of that strangeness is that he uses a lot of Japanese Shinto beliefs and mythology in his movies. As you start to pick up on the Japanese mythological culture more he movies will even open up on new levels for you. I have to say some of it I just did not get until I started going to Japan a lot and learing about that part of their culture. Demons, Vampire (not like we understand vampires), curses are all part of the culture in Japan. I really picked up some good stuff when a colleague of mine died. He was Japanese and had a stroke in a meeting. I was able to attend his Shinto funeral and particapted in the ceremony. It was a lot different than the American/Judeo-Christian ones I have been to. I saw placard and sign that I had seen in Miyazaki movies. When I asked what they were for they told me to keep the demons away.

Check out http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/shinto-concepts.shtml

Ordered Porco Russo from Netflix today, can't wait to see it.

Also Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

And what the heck I got Spirited Away again, even though I've seen it.

Back