Mixture Knob came off

Code90

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Code90
I had a text from one of my plane partners tonight telling me the red mixture knob has come off its normal stick in our Piper Lance. I haven't seen it yet. How is this normally attached? Is this something that a private pilot can repair as routine maintence, or does this require a mechanic? If I can repair it, how do I? Mechanism otherwise is fine. Just the red top of the control came off.

should just be a screw inside the red knob - simple screwdriver repair

I'm assuming the Lance is just like the 'kota. Had the throttle knob fall off in flight - repaired in flight with screwdriver :D

I'm assuming the Lance is just like the 'kota. Had the throttle knob fall off in flight - repaired in flight with screwdriver :D

:eek:

You fixed your own plane in flight! :eek:

:eek: Oh the humanity!

;)

You gotta hate it when your knob comings off in your hand. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'd say he is leaning way too aggressively

Yes. PA32 quadrants are the same as PA 28s. Should be a simple screw....unless the threads are stripped.

When I was a newbie private pilot building solo XC time I had the entire mixture control, cable and all, come out of the panel after I leaned it out at cruise. THAT's aggressive leaning.

When I was a newbie private pilot building solo XC time I had the entire mixture control, cable and all, come out of the panel after I leaned it out at cruise. THAT's aggressive leaning.
In the flight school we had a throttle and two carb heat cables do that. After that we started installing new cables at every engine change. Cheap insurance.

The throttle came out in the student's hand when the instructor was teaching spins. "Pull the throttle off when the stall breaks," he said. So the student did. Pulled it right off. They recovered from the spin and started looking for a place to land (no shortage of those on the prairies) and then the instructor took the knob and its shaft and saw that the wire had broken right close to the shaft. He stuck it back in the hole, the engine went to full power, they came home and pulled the mixture on final.

Dan

We just had a screw loose, as they say. Wasn't stripped. Repaired in few seconds. Thanks for the help.

Hell that's nothing, try pulling the carb heat and having it just come all the way out :)

Back