Mixing oil?

Jason608

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jason608
I assume this is ok??
Bought a Cirrus SR22 from Denver and moving it to Arizona. In AZ we use 20-50W for the hot weather, I assume the DEN guys do not. Can I add the 20-50W to whatever the mile high guys put in the plane? Oil change in 50 hours.

One of the requirements with aviation oil is for it to be O.K. To mix, check the can. I’ve never had a problem with a little mix, similar type of oils. I think there are bigger fish to fry with engine care.

I assume this is ok??
Bought a Cirrus SR22 from Denver and moving it to Arizona. In AZ we use 20-50W for the hot weather, I assume the DEN guys do not. Can I add the 20-50W to whatever the mile high guys put in the plane? Oil change in 50 hours.

You should not have to assume. The engine log should show the grade of oil in the crankcase now. Denver may not be Arizona, but it gets plenty warm there too at this time of year.

Very nice first plane! When do we get to see pics? :D
Or did I miss them on another thread?

You should not have to assume. The engine log should show the grade of oil in the crankcase now. Denver may not be Arizona, but it gets plenty warm there too at this time of year.

Very nice first plane! When do we get to see pics? :D
Or did I miss them on another thread?

Once the pre buy is done in 3 weeks I will post !!
BTW,thanks for telling me to check the logs.

For your location in AZ, I would be using single weight oil (e.g. Aeroshell 100/100+). It clings to internal parts longer and withstands higher temps better than multi-viscosity oils. I run Aeroshell 100 Plus in the summer and 15-50 in winter months here in south Georgia. It is safe to mix any of these.

See the Lycoming service instruction for more details on approved oils and what to use for your temperature range.

I once read an article about a builder/distributor of Bede-5 kits that mixed two different types of oil. Not sure if they were from the same manufacturer or if one was detergent, one was not etc. He was flying his HONDA powered Bede-5 over water when his oil temp began to rise. He quickly did a 180 turn and headed back to the airport. When he landed he found that the two oils did not mix well and created a foam which exited the crankcase through the breather. He was lucky to make it back safely. It’s just an example of how easily we can screw up by “experimenting” with critical things such as oil.

wait, wait. Oil change is due in 50 hours?
So the oil was just changed or when was it changed?
Even 50 hrs is too long for my engines.

Back