Mixed up images.

mdreger

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
I don't know if this is a feature or a bug. I noticed when reading posts that there were images inserted that didn't make any sense. Thre was a blue citabria in the body of several messages. There was a military EW aircraft in the body of other messages. When I started looking and hovering over the images the description didn't match the visual. Here are some of my findings:

Description = Actual picture
Diana's Avatar = Edit button icon
Greg Kainz Avatar = "cartoon type" text baloon
Chuck Haeberle Avatar = smile face

Any idea's?

Hmmm, my avatar looks ok on my control panel - let's see if it shows up properly here...
Edit - yep, looks fine here.

Last edited:
mdreger said:
I don't know if this is a feature or a bug. I noticed when reading posts that there were images inserted that didn't make any sense. Thre was a blue citabria in the body of several messages. There was a military EW aircraft in the body of other messages. When I started looking and hovering over the images the description didn't match the visual. Here are some of my findings:

Description = Actual picture
Diana's Avatar = Edit button icon
Greg Kainz Avatar = "cartoon type" text baloon
Chuck Haeberle Avatar = smile face

Any idea's?
It sounds like a localized issue with your computer, as I'm seeing none of these issues and hearing no reports of similar issues from other users.

Try clearing your local temp files cache and re-loading the pages. Also try logging out and logging back in again.

... Ah - possibly a problem in the edit function.

Last edited:
Hey Chuck;
My images are ok, but this thread made me notice something that seems a bit odd...on the Recent Activity results page, the Mixed Up Images (this one) thread is listed, but shows me as Thread Starter... is that what you see, or is it all in my head...

That is interesting - I see that too...let me do a little testing, I have a suspicion...

Testing another reply, this time using the advanced page...

Hmm...so much for that theory. Ok - yes I see the issue - but I don't know (yet) how it happened.

I've noticed this a few other times, just didn't ring a bell that it wasn't correct at that time...

gkainz said:
Hey Chuck;
My images are ok, but this thread made me notice something that seems a bit odd...on the Recent Activity results page, the Mixed Up Images (this one) thread is listed, but shows me as Thread Starter... is that what you see, or is it all in my head...

I've noticed that the "When did you first realize you could be a pilot" thread is showing me as thread starter, though I'm not.

Last edited:
I never noticed this behavior until I added the anon code change, which affected the code for making new posts and replies.

I'll investigate the changes for possible causes after lunch - although it may take a while to isolate. In the meantime, if you spot any other threads with this issue, please link to them here or at least give a good solid description so I can find them. The more threads I can investigate with this odd issue, the easier the problem identification.

CH

I also wonder whether this issue has been fixed already. This might have been a side effect of the changes I was making...

I am particularly interested in threads created on or after Friday which show this behavior...

Ok, obviously not since, duh, this thread was created yesterday.

Aha! Yep, editing did it!

Edit: Testing fix to editpost.php anon hack.

Last edited:
so, if I post and then edit my post, I'm the new thread starter?
1st edit - let's see...
2nd edit - yep, I'm the DTS (Designated Thread Starter) again... :D

Interesting...

... I made a change to how the edit works and now its blanking the username.

Not quite what I was looking for. :)

Now I need to find a new thread to edit and test this with -- hehe

Oh, no I don't...duh...i'll just change the data. :)

Ok - editing and changing again - seeing if Fluffy the Wonder Turtle is still the author now...

Getting closer...

New change, better solution...should work this time ...

2nd edit - even newer BETTER solution... programming is fun...

Ok maybe not...

... trying again

Last edited:
One more reply and edit test.

Editing...and edited.

Ok - the issue appears to be fixed. No further thread corruption should take place.

Chuck! You da' man! Although I was really starting to wonder, when the "Fluffy the Wonder Turtle" delirium started showing thru!

Well, I think it is fixed. I use Firefox. I opened IE, logged on POA and everything looked fine. I went back to Firefox, logged off POA, then Tools>Options>Privacy, cleared the Cache and Cookies. Closed Firefox. I then re-opened Firefox and logged back on POA. Images were again mixed up, but in a completely different manner. I think Greg Kainz had the Joe Williams "Black sheep" and several other new and different variations. So I logged off of POA again, Tools>Options>Privacy, cleared the Cache again and closed Firefox. Opened it again, and here I am. We'll see how long this lasts.

Thanks for the help.

I'd check the Firefox site for any updates - what version of Firefox are you running and what is the latest?

Greebo said:
I'd check the Firefox site for any updates - what version of Firefox are you running and what is the latest?
I'm running Firefox as well, and not seeing these problems. 1.0.2 is the latest - released recently. Also, there were some recommended settings for Firefox here in the first few days of the vboard...don't recall all of them, but setting the cache file size to small or 0 was one of them, I think.

Well, it has worked correctly for a few days, I guess I am cured. Thanks to all of you.

Back