Mission-specific plane: what fits the bill?

AA5Bman

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
He who ironically no longer flies an AA5B
Hello all,

I live in Los Angeles and have surfed for years - it's just part of living here, I guess. One of my principal aviation goals is to own an airplane that can handle my longboard and be able to fly down to baja and get in and out of short, rough fields.

The Baja surf mission has some very specific performance/capability parameters:

1. Range: Due to drug-running, the government has limited fuel to - I think - basically three or four spots in all of baja, so everything has to be an out-and-back adventure from one of those fuel spots. Range of 700nm is, my guess, a minimum.

2. Short, rough fields. 'nuff said.

3. Ability to handle the longboard. I know because I've see it done, that a Cherokee six can handle a longboard with its huge, long fuse. I'm not aware of anything else that will do it. I'd settle for riding a collapsible board or shortboards, but even a 182, although it might fit the bill, won't handle even a small board. My Grumman Tiger can actually handle more surfboard than a 182, oddly, but it doesn't have the range, for sure, and the short/rough capabilities? nah...

So, two questions:

1. What planes fit the bill? I know a Cherokee six does, but I can't think of anything else. I'm pretty sure that a 206 is actually too short, although it would be close. Is there any other "stock" plane that could handle it?

2. If you could mod the rear bulkhead of a 182 to allow you to slip skis, or golf clubs (or surfboards) down the tail, that would be probably the perfect plane for this mission, but I'm not aware of any mods available like that. Is there such a thing (I know you can do it for skis in a mooney)?

Thanks for your thoughts... Will be very interested to hear your ideas!

Hello all,

I live in Los Angeles and have surfed for years - it's just part of living here, I guess. One of my principal aviation goals is to own an airplane that can handle my longboard and be able to fly down to baja and get in and out of short, rough fields.

The Baja surf mission has some very specific performance/capability parameters:

1. Range: Due to drug-running, the government has limited fuel to - I think - basically three or four spots in all of baja, so everything has to be an out-and-back adventure from one of those fuel spots. Range of 700nm is, my guess, a minimum.

2. Short, rough fields. 'nuff said.

3. Ability to handle the longboard. I know because I've see it done, that a Cherokee six can handle a longboard with its huge, long fuse. I'm not aware of anything else that will do it. I'd settle for riding a collapsible board or shortboards, but even a 182, although it might fit the bill, won't handle even a small board. My Grumman Tiger can actually handle more surfboard than a 182, oddly, but it doesn't have the range, for sure, and the short/rough capabilities? nah...

So, two questions:

1. What planes fit the bill? I know a Cherokee six does, but I can't think of anything else. I'm pretty sure that a 206 is actually too short, although it would be close. Is there any other "stock" plane that could handle it?

2. If you could mod the rear bulkhead of a 182 to allow you to slip skis, or golf clubs (or surfboards) down the tail, that would be probably the perfect plane for this mission, but I'm not aware of any mods available like that. Is there such a thing (I know you can do it for skis in a mooney)?

Thanks for your thoughts... Will be very interested to hear your ideas!

Cessna 205.

hmm... wasn't aware of that fuel mod. The short/rough strips doesn't bother me as much, especially because they're almost all at sea level. Ron, you'd probably know as well as anyone how grummans handle on dirt - what's your opinion?

Cessna 205.

Isn't this just an earlier version of a 206?

There is also an STC to extend the baggage area in a C-182. I don't know if would be enough for your boards though.

I have a friend that flys a C-182T to Baja from Idaho frequently.

Brian

hmm... wasn't aware of that fuel mod. The short/rough strips doesn't bother me as much, especially because they're almost all at sea level. Ron, you'd probably know as well as anyone how grummans handle on dirt - what's your opinion?
Good, hard, smooth, level dirt of adequate length? No problem. Rough, rocky, short, muddy and/or soft? No way.

How about a DeHaviland Beaver? Or maybe a Twin Otter? Or a Quest Kodiak? Maybe a Cessna Caravan? (Probably all over budget, but still make all the criteria in your orignal post)

Regular ol 150 horse Super Cub with a belly tank and an external load permit.

700 miles, rough & short, no problem.

Good, hard, smooth, level dirt of adequate length? No problem. Rough, rocky, short, muddy and/or soft? No way.

How much prop clearance does your aircraft have when fully loaded?

There is also an STC to extend the baggage area in a C-182. I don't know if would be enough for your boards though.

I have a friend that flys a C-182T to Baja from Idaho frequently.

Brian

Selkirk has extended baggage kits with STC for Cessna 170, 172, 175, 180, 182, 185, 206 and 207. Not all years of all models are covered.

What you need is a Cessna 207. If it won't fit in a stock model get the 14 inch extension above :yesnod:

Cessna 180/185, late '60s or newer, came with an extended cargo area behind the rear cabin bulkhead -- no modification necessary. Take out the middle and third row of seats (if installed) and you're in business.

This is from the 1970 brochure:

Attachments

• cessna_180j_1970_int.jpg
    cessna_180j_1970_int.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 32
A Cessna 207 would be perfect. They are used all over Alaska and can handle rough fields. It is plenty long for a surfboard.

Cherokee 6 would be a poor choice. Its landing gear is just not strong enough for rough fields. And if the gear pushes through the wing the aircraft is totalled.

+1 Bonanza A36 all the way.....

Are you sure you want to take your Bo to a short, rocky, rough, runway?

That nose wheel will throw up rocks that will ruin your wing leading edges quickly.

Plus, how long is your take off run at 75% of gross? would you like that nose wheel hammering your wings for that long?

Bos are pretty, and can do the mileage and lift the weight, but you don't see many operating in mexico back country or on the beaches.

Ever wonder why? they cost too much to get trashed that quickly.

Last edited:
Cessna 180/185, late '60s or newer, came with an extended cargo area behind the rear cabin bulkhead -- no modification necessary. Take out the middle and third row of seats (if installed) and you're in business.

This is from the 1970 brochure:

The 180/185 idea has the advantage the the drug runners don't fly tailwheel. They much less likely to steal/hijack this airplane.

It was my friend that had his TU206 hijacked from him a couple years ago.

Brian

Isn't this just an earlier version of a 206?

Actually, it's the 210-205 - earlier, fixed gear variant of the 210. Sprung steel gear, massive payload (1100 lbs), decent speed (135), and 40 degrees of flaps.

:yesnod:

Though if the field is that rough, the 185 is a better option.

My 1960 Cessna 180 has extended baggage compartment and 95 gal tanks, at 7,500' burns ~12 gph @ 149 ktas. The board would load through the pax door. But I didn't buy it as a hauler, I just wanted a chick magnet. :rofl: :rofl:

Sooo what happens when you fly low over the local Tyson plant???? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

The chicks all catch on fire from the reflection of the sun off his polished fuselage. ;)

i second spike's notion! Just tie that sucker to your roof. Add another air foil! Might slow you down, but stop quicker?

Old VW bus, painted psychedelic, is the only approved vehicle for surf safaris.

Old VW bus, painted psychedelic, is the only approved vehicle for surf safaris.

The Beach Boys disagree...

"...we're loadin' up our Woody with the boards on the side...."

Wow, guys. I go out of town for a while and you do your magic! Thanks for all of the great ideas. I like the 180/182/185 with the extended baggage mod - that's got to be the perfect baja plane. Love it!

Back