Missing W&B updates or missing logbook updates?

Pedals2Paddles

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Pedals2Paddles
Lets say you have your pretty official weight and balance sheet. Upon examining it, you find that a prior owner had work done (or did work on his own) that was not accounted for. For example, Nav/Com radios were replaced, but the W&B was never updated to reflect that.

Now you would like to have the W&B updated to reflect reality for all kinds of obvious, good, and legal reasons. What are the implications / hiccups / good / bad / otherwise of doing this?

It seems to me you have to basically inventory everything to see what is still there vs what is on the current W&B vs what is new and unaccounted for. Subtract the things that were removed, and add the things that were installed. I would imagine this is an annoyance, but rather straight forward? Are there any paperwork problems this could create?

What about the logbook side of things. Lets say a prior owner installed a new radio that has no logbook entry and no sign off from someone with the legal authority to sign it off? Would an A&P or avionics tech have to inspect the installation and sign off that it is ok in order to make the logbook complete? Or is this something that you just live with until you want to replace it again and it becomes a moot point? Or maybe the answer is yes to both... ?

Not a big deal.

Take inventory of the equipment on the plane, and make the revisions to the equipment list. Each item should list the name of the item, its' weight, and the arm. Then calculation of the weight and balance can be made. If the weights are unknown, the best corrective action is to weigh the plane. Most manufacturers list component weights in their manuals but do not list weight of wiring, doublers, and other options that can add many pounds to an installation.

As for installation of equipment without prior documentation, a mechanic will have to state he "inspected installation of -------- previously installed by persons unknown. Verified ------- is installed in accordance with ------- installation instructions. Updated W&B and equipment list this date."

If any of the installations required a 337, he will file one now.

W&B and equipment lists are at the top of problems found during ramp checks. An inspector can only look at your required paperwork (AROW) and the general exterior condition. And two other hot items: approval tags on the seat belts, and the compass calibration card.

OK, this all makes logical sense and is what I thought would be the case. Fortunately today's equipment and paperwork reviews reveal everything is actually up to snuff. I was a little worried there would be some "home handyman" work to undo.

If you have doubts, the alternative is to weigh the plane (there's a procedure from the manufacturer to do this). That with an equipment list of what was in the plane at the time you did it meets the requirement for weight and balance paperwork (such that there is).

My W&B was all messed up when I got my 150. I got the original factory issued W&B form Cessna, then had it updated with the maintence records I had. Luckily the only equipment that changed was the transponder.

Amusingly after 60 years and at least three of four major renovations, I had my Navion weighed. It was within a couple of pounds of what the W&B paper work computed over the years said it was.

As you know having a current equipment list is required by part 91 because this is how your weight and balance is obtained. As a former FAA maintenance inspector I can tell you during a ramp inspection most inspector will want to see your current equipment list and weight and balance. During my career most of the equipment lists and weight balances were incorrect. If the equipment list is incorrect the weight and balance is not correct in most cases.

The IA during the annual inspection should take your equipment list and check each item as this is part of the type design. What is on your equipment list should match what is installed in the aircraft you can do this check yourself. Radios, wheel pants, and heads rests are the first things a FAA inspector will check on your equipment list to see if they are installed and part number match.

I used to point it out to the owners and advise them to correct it the equipment list and W/B, but that was me not all inspector are cut from the same cloth. The W/B will have to be signed by an A&P with date and entered in the airframe maintenance records.

On the equipment list you can update it yourself, if something is removed line through it and record the new equipment by part number/serial number. For radios and other equipment it is good to note on the equipment list the date of the 337 when it was installed for quick reference. You’re A&P/IA can inspect and create a new 337 as stated by others showing the equipment was install properly, date and sign and send a copy to the FAA to go in the records.

What I do recommend is to have your aircraft weighted as aircraft tend to weight more as they age and with a correct W/B and know starting point with a cleaned up equipment list you will be fine.

Back