Missing the Flag Flip

Garavar

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Garavar
During Holding Patterns I sometimes miss the flag flip. If I am not staring right at it it's so sudden that I miss it and end up starting timer late.

Is there any tricks out there to making it more noticeable? Or a beep or something? G1000.

When flying a holding pattern, you should be continuously aware of where you are in relation to the holding fix. If the station passage is catching you by surprise, that means your attention is not where it should be. I would look at the root cause of this rather than trying to find a a different trick to beeper.

This is what we call staying ahead of the airplane...
if you are missing the flag flip the airplane is getting to the fix before you are.

You should be aware of about how long it is going to be before the flag flips. is it 10 seconds, 1 minute or 2 minutes?
That way you can determine if you have time to check the chart, change a frequency or do something else. When it gets down to about the 10 seconds should be remaining you need to be watching for the flag flip, just like you would be watching of the Missed Approach Point later on in the approach.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I think you both are right and it's also a little information overload. Since it's a manual non autopilot hold I am focusing my attention on altitude, track etc as well. Which is causing me to miss it sometimes.

The fact you can determine the root cause on your own shows me you are on track.

Just keep practicing.

gyro nose, gyro wing
Gyro nose, gyro wing
Gyro performance, gyro FLAG

Lather rinse repeat!

The fact you can determine the root cause on your own shows me you are on track.

Just keep practicing.

gyro nose, gyro wing
Gyro nose, gyro wing
Gyro performance, gyro FLAG

Lather rinse repeat!
"The problem is all inside your head," she said to me
"The answer is easy if you take it logically......
...Make a new Scan Stan....

Back