Missing pilot finally found

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Original story: http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=b6f2a2b8-642a-4edf-8b25-6796564cdd23&

They (NM State Police) found him (Jim Willess) today after Governor Richardson of NM authorized a renewed search based on better radar data analysis from the NTSB.

I got this message from the family today:

Jim Willess and the RV were located today in New Mexico. There are not many details to report at this time; however, the N number on the plane was clearly visible so we know it is the right aircraft.

Please check back for updates as they become available.

Here's a thread that's been ongoing since March when he disappeared over the Texas Panhandle while ferrying an RV from California:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=15724

The family and friends of Jim were planning a new concerted search trip for September 1st, which has now, obviously, been canceled. They had a site / forum dedicated to the search, and it contains a great deal of data from the NTSB, radar, photos of those who went out there to look originally and subsequently, etc.

http://find_jim.willess.com/

Sad that he was found deceased, but I know the family must be relieved, in some way, to have closure. Not KNOWING where someone you love is at, when they are missing, is a terrible pain. Godspeed, Jim.

What exactly happened in the 4 months that made the radar track more apparent??
Too bad that can't be available in a more timely manner.

What's really distrubing here is that CAP had the radar data and went out and looked for a week before giving up. Yet they apparently only searched in TX and never looked in the area of the final transponder return and no one ever thought to tell NM officals that an airplane disappeared from radar and the last known transponder hit was over their state. When the family finally did get this information to the Governer, the plane was found within hours.

I understand that CAP was searching an area where they believed the plane to be based on primary hits that were returned but they had something like 21 airplanes searching. What would it have taken to send one of them to search the area of the last known transponder hit just in case? And why not tell NM when this first happened? What would it have hurt to have some eyes looking there?

What's really distrubing here is that CAP had the radar data ... and no one ever thought to tell NM officals that an airplane disappeared from radar and the last known transponder hit was over their state. When the family finally did get this information to the Governer, the plane was found within hours.
And why not tell NM when this first happened? What would it have hurt to have some eyes looking there?
IME, it isn't that CAP does not play well with outside entities, but rather that they don't play at all with outside entities. YMMV, but this comment is based on flying volunteer SAR pilot/aircraft in California for a local sherrif's department and always dreading CAP's eventual arrival--we really enjoyed telling CAP that we had already found the victim just after CAP told us that our SAR squadron's services were no longer required.:rofl:

I should say as well that I don't know the full story and I'm making some assumptions which could be incorrect. But based on what I've read so far, it seems that not only did CAP not want help, but that they never searched or only minimally searched the area of the last known transponder hit. Why wouldn't you look there? Why wouldn't you inform the state of NM?

In addition, from what I've read of the condition of the plane, it doesn't sound like the pilot would've survived the impact. But what if that wasn't the case? What he survived the crash but was unable to free himself from the aircraft and needed help?

I know that CAP spends a lot of time training for this sort of thing and that they're very good at it. But it seems like basic SAR 101 to look in the area of the last place you knew the aircraft to be would it not?

IME, it isn't that CAP does not play well with outside entities, but rather that they don't play at all with outside entities. YMMV, but this comment is based on flying volunteer SAR pilot/aircraft in California for a local sherrif's department and always dreading CAP's eventual arrival--we really enjoyed telling CAP that we had already found the victim just after CAP told us that our SAR squadron's services were no longer required.:rofl:

Ed, Does CAP have the authority to tell a Sheriff's dept SAR group that their services are no longer required? I mean is this like the FBI telling the local yokles this one is ours boys? Does CAP even have ANY authority? I'd think that they were there to support the local LEO agency not usurp them.

Where exactly was the wreckage found anyway, seems mysteriously secret so far. Why the reluctance to reveal where?

thanks Troy. It says near the Tx state line, 30 mi from Carlsbad. I will have to follow it to see more exactly where.
The Guadalupe's have claimed a lot of aluminum over the years. Typically weather like may have been involved in this one (>50kt winds at the peaks).

Ed, Does CAP have the authority to tell a Sheriff's dept SAR group that their services are no longer required? I mean is this like the FBI telling the local yokles this one is ours boys? Does CAP even have ANY authority? I'd think that they were there to support the local LEO agency not usurp them.
CAP is the FAA/US gov. authorized SAR unit. They may not be able to actually legally dismiss/forbid another SAR group from the search, but they can request that the FAA post a NOTAM closing the airspace to non-participant aircraft; AFAIK CAP does have that authority, and, at that point, the game is over.

FWIW, IME it never got to that level. CAP would arrive, we would be asked to vacate the airspace for their aircraft, we would leave.

Back