Missing Person: Julie Vessigault, beloved friend of airshows.

Princesspilot206

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Princesspilot
If you all have not heard the news, Julie Vessigault has been missing since January 25, 2024 from California. She has ties to CA, UT, GA, and FL that I am aware of. If you come across her in your everyday life, or more likely at an airshow this year, please contact authorities. Many people inside and outside of the aviation community miss and love her.

This is her story:

April 2013 World Airshow News -

"One of the privileges of being an airshow journeyman is meeting and working with people who share the aviation passion. Each weekend, we travel to a new town, enjoy making new friends, renew contact with the old ones and often work with some exceptional people.

Such a person is Julie Vessigault. Many of you know Julie as the self-proclaimed “Roving Airshow Support Volunteer,” follow her exploits on Facebook, and appreciate her willingness to tackle any job at the airshow, but do you know her back story? Being a curious journalist, teller of tall tales and all-around nosey person, I sat with Julie at the Columbus, Vidalia and Monroe events to learn more about Julie, the person.

Our ubiquitous airshow volunteer was born in California to parents she describes as “developmentally challenged.” Unable to care for their new baby girl, Julie quickly became a ward of the state and entered the foster child not-so-merry merry-go-round. Julie attended and graduated high school in Morgan, Utah, but living in a home with six children, she missed many opportunities to expand her horizons.

Aging out of the foster care program, Julie was turned out into a big world to find her way. She started college at Weber State. That path was derailed by a poor marriage choice to a young man with Asperger’s syndrome, a pregnancy, and a divorce. Now homeless and with an unsupportive, hostile extended family, Julie was forced to give custody of her daughter to ex-in-laws.

Homeless in Salt Lake City, she moved to Orlando, Florida, where Julie discovered the Sun-n-Fun Fly-In and Airshow in 2007. At 30, Julie found her calling: volunteering at aviation events.

For the past six years, Julie has crisscrossed the USA, living in her car, sleeping in hangers, and sometimes the guest of pilots met along the way. Traveling between airshows, she supports herself by washing airplanes at airports along the way. When she arrives at the next airshow, she seeks opportunities to assist the show and its performers, demonstrating a tireless work ethic that I find amazing.

She can be found stringing wire for the sound guy, wiping oil from the belly of a warbird or bussing tables at the performer’s party. Julie is constantly on the move, doing whatever is necessary. Her energy can be disconcerting with a compulsion to be constantly busy. Julie Vessigault is the ultimate airshow grunt. She never asks for money (although she appreciates whatever is offered); she is satisfied with a thank you or even a smile from people she considers her heroes.

That feeling seems to be mutual within the performer community. Julie was involved in an accident at the Sun-n-Fun Splash-in. She and her cell phone took an unexpected bath in Lake Agnes, Julie survived with minor injuries, but the cell phone did not. Several airshow performers, including members and friends of the Aeroshell team, gathered the cash necessary to buy her a new phone to continue to communicate and post additional stories on Facebook and eloquently blog about her travels around the country."

Last edited:
I have not heard from her since last February. Have actually been wondering about her.

What are the circumstances surrounding her disappearance?

What are the circumstances surrounding her disappearance?

https://missingpersonscenter.org/missing-persons-directory/missing-adults/julie-margaret-vessigault/
There are photos and more info posted at this link, but here is a bit:
Missing From: Elk Grove, California - USA
Last Seen Wearing:
Gray t-shirt with "Sacramento Executive Airport" on front and blue jeans.

Julie often wears jeans and a t-shirt, though she will dress with a nice shirt and occasionally a dress when not working. Her shoes are often black walker-type shoes. She frequently wears a baseball hat, and often her hats, shirts, and dresses have aviation themes. Julie is neat and clean, and does not wear makeup (or rarely).
Julie Margaret Vessigault was last seen by family or friends on January 23, 2024.

Julie had been missing since around 1:30pm on Wed. 01/23/2024.

Around 12:30 on Wednesday 01/23 Julie came in (mother's home), dumped her purse out, grabbed keys and an ATM card, and possibly a California temporary lic., put the rest back into the purse, and left, never saying where she was going. Per her Mom's caregiver, Julie had done that several times before but always returned in 2-3 hours. On 01/23 Julie never returned.

Julie left her cell phone, purse, $100 bill, three un-cashed checks, and took no extra clothing. Julie doesn't go anywhere without her phone.

Julie's job staple has been traveling around the country cleaning warbird, airshow, and small general aviation airplanes. Julie's customers include some of the very best air show performers in the country.

Julie made plans to clean airplanes Thursday and Friday, and to have her Mom's dog groomed. She never showed up for the cleaning appointments and never called to cancel, which is completely uncharacteristic of Julie. But clearly she made near-term commitments, never cancelled them, and never showed up. Completely uncharacteristic of Julie.

Per the caregiver at the mother's house when Julie left as told to me (Person Reporting) at least twice, a text notification "I'm waiting' popped up on the locked screen after Julie left.

Julie's car needed repairs and I think tires. Julie would never leave for a long distance drive with a car that needed work.

Julie's been known to take off for a few days of "Julie time", but in the past per those I asked she always told someone where she was going before she left or within a few days. And she'd never leave unprepared at least to an extent, and always took her phone.

Julie's Facebook posts stopped suddenly after she left on 01/23. Not like her.

I (Person Reporting) spoke with Julie on 01/21 for about 45 minutes. It was a better-than-usual conversation and she didn't indicate, nor did I detect, anything wrong.

==END OF REPORT FILED BY (PR) FAMILY FRIEND==

Well that is close to home. Hope she is found. Statistically though, these things rarely end well.

Hoping for a good outcome. She’s a good person and works her tail off at airshows, all for the love of aviation.

I met her at Oshkosh pre-Covid. Even in that environment (which I consider extremely safe) I was concerned for her welfare. She seemed like a very trusting (possibly naive) soul who was kind of living a nomadic existence.

I hope she turns up safe and sound.

I've known Julie for a decade or so and have been following this closely. To summarize:

She has a history of dropping off the grid when life gets overwhelming. And things were pretty rough when she disappeared due to a recent-ish death and a custody battle. However, we're now a bit over 50 days, which is longer than usual.

She appears to have disappeared of her own accord, possibly to seek mental health care, evidenced by her leaving behind her tangible possessions.

The police are unable to share anything meaningful with even her sister, so very little is known about the investigation except that it continues.

She really did just disappear. The pattern of dropping out of society is good reason to hope for a positive outcome, but it's been long enough to worry.

Back