Missing Data Tag

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Aeronca 7 missing Data Tag Log books from 1975 when it was rebuilt. I do not believe any FSDO will provide a LOA or American Champion Aircraft will issue a new data tag without all the logs. Any idea how to overcome this?:(

Last edited:
There should be other ID marks like an airframe serial number, etc. Some guys have had the FAA do conformity inspections and provide an inspection report so the TC holder can issue a replacement tag. It isn't uncommon in the Cub world where airframes have been replaced or significant airframe repairs have taken place through the years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aeronca-Name-Information-Plate-Data-Plate-Dataplate-Blank-For-Your-Restoration-/261908205754?hash=item3cfaf210ba&vxp=mtr

0795_1.JPG

Their are a few Aeronca 7AC out their with Lunken, Ohio Data tags on, they are ebay types Data Tags and not authorized on aircraft built in Middletown, Ohio after June 5 1940 be careful what you buy. Not sure any Ramp Check FAA person might catch that but if they do expect a red tag from your frendly FAA inspector. You might also have to explain falsification of records?

Then buy the Middletown tags which sell for a bit more.
Paul
N2426E

Exactly easy solution....the FAA has way bigger fish to fry anyway...wouldnt worry about it

Aeronca 7 missing Data Tag Log books from 1975 when it was rebuilt. I do not believe any FSDO will provide a LOA or American Champion Aircraft will issue a new data tag without all the logs. Any idea how to overcome this?:(

DAR conformity inspection?:dunno:

Their are a few Aeronca 7AC out their with Lunken, Ohio Data tags on, they are ebay types Data Tags and not authorized on aircraft built in Middletown, Ohio after June 5 1940 be careful what you buy. Not sure any Ramp Check FAA person might catch that but if they do expect a red tag from your frendly FAA inspector. You might also have to explain falsification of records?

Falsification of records has to be proven. Data tags get replaced during repair and refurbishments all the time. The problem isn't really the tag, the problem is not having the tag OR the logs. With the logs it's not a problem.

There's nothing to show this plane is not stolen, or an illegal copy.

When I replaced the data tag on my engine I had to get an LOA from the FAA. It wasn't a big deal, they didn't ask for any logs. Just tell them original is damaged. I think even lost is a valid reason.

Falsification of records has to be proven. Data tags get replaced during repair and refurbishments all the time. The problem isn't really the tag, the problem is not having the tag OR the logs. With the logs it's not a problem.

No it doesn't.

With out the serial number and proof of which airframe this is all records are non compliant.

The best point in this thread was there isn't two FAA airworthiness inspectors that would know which data tag is correct for which Champ.

How do you associate the N number to the airframe? Painted on doesn't qualify.

Check your registration.

Ever seen a stolen aircraft advertised by S/N.?

Check your registration.

Ever seen a stolen aircraft advertised by S/N.?

What does advertising have to do with anything? The N-Number is register to a S/N that without the data tag, will require forensic work by a DAR to substantiate that it belongs to that airframe.

When I replaced the data tag on my engine I had to get an LOA from the FAA. It wasn't a big deal, they didn't ask for any logs. Just tell them original is damaged. I think even lost is a valid reason.

Lycoming ?

The S/N is stamped on the cases at the top center line, you don't really need a data tag. It's on the sump anyway. Does that mean the sump is the engine?

What does advertising have to do with anything? The N-Number is register to a S/N that without the data tag, will require forensic work by a DAR to substantiate that it belongs to that airframe.

I don't think the case of a damaged (or even lost) data tag is going to trigger a criminal investigation by the Feds. He's got logbooks and history, he knows the S/N. There's no reason for anyone to suspect nefarious activity here. It's not that big of a deal.

What happens when someone shows up with the original log books and a data tag with another plane and all you have is a replacement tag from ebay and incomplete logs.

Incorrect again, all that type of tracking is done by "N" number.
The trouble with that is the fact that there are some N numbers no longer on record.
I found this out while researching a 63 172 I was looking at. Looked up the N number, and came up with a blank page, "N number does not exist".
Called the FAA, and found out that after the re-registration thing started, any aircraft not re-registered, loses it's n number,(after a period of time) and so nothing shows up on the search. But, when searched by serial number, you get all the info you would ever want, along with the fact that it had not been re-upped on registration.
This particular aircraft had not been registered for 3 registration cycles, and is sitting derelict on the ramp. Performing an N number search will turn up nothing on this airplane.

Suppose just for the sake of it. That you run accross an airplane, with 2 data tags, and 1 N number. The N number is not in the data base, and the serial number on one of the data tags also doesn't show up, but the serial number on the other data tag shows up as belonging to the N number that doesn't show up in the records. Now What?

I know how it happened, and suspect why. But the FAA seems to be happy with it ATM.

The trouble with that is the fact that there are some N numbers no longer on record.
I found this out while researching a 63 172 I was looking at. Looked up the N number, and came up with a blank page, "N number does not exist".
Called the FAA, and found out that after the re-registration thing started, any aircraft not re-registered, loses it's n number,(after a period of time) and so nothing shows up on the search. But, when searched by serial number, you get all the info you would ever want, along with the fact that it had not been re-upped on registration.
This particular aircraft had not been registered for 3 registration cycles, and is sitting derelict on the ramp. Performing an N number search will turn up nothing on this airplane.
Ever see any aircraft that was stolen, and some one was looking for by S/N?
Ever see any aircraft that was no longer in data base that some one stole?
Let's keep it real.

this data tag & Log books are probably flying on some ones home built. as a certified aircraft.

Somewhat suprising so many of you think the data tag is a small item and could be replaced with one from ebay. The data tag is a big item and without the proper and legal tag on your aircraft it is just so much scrap parts. If you get ramp checked and the inspector looks at a nice new data tag on a 60+ year old aircraft expect to get a red tag or explain how you got the tag. Their are a lot of sharp FAA inspectors, they know what is legal and what is not. Beware!

Why? :dunno: I already put a new data plate on it and have an LOA from the FAA. It wasn't a big deal.
With the TCM engine how could you know the S/N ?

You can always get a tag, but how do you know the log book you hold is the correct one?

Question, How could you do AD compliance with out a S/N?

Back