Missing Aircraft between Catalina and Orange County

SteveinIndy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SteveinIndy
Dana Point pilot missing on trip from Catalina to O.C.

No sign of plane or 3 people aboard that was expected to land Thursday evening.

By KIMBERLY EDDS, SERENA MARIA DANIELS and SALVADOR HERNANDEZ
The Orange County Register
Comments 34 | Recommended7
SANTA ANA The Orange County Sheriff's Department and the Coast Guard requested search and rescue assistance from an aircraft based in Sacramento this morning to help locate a missing plane that took off from Santa Catalina Island but never made its scheduled arrival in Orange County.
A C-130, the largest search and rescue aircraft available to the Coast Guard, was requested at 4 a.m.
The pilot of the single-engine, fixed-wing Bonanza, 48-year-old Mark Hogland from Dana Point, filed a flight plan with a departure from Avalon, and an arrival at John Wayne International Airport at 5:20 p.m. Thursday. The plane left Catalina but never landed at JWA. Rain and poor visibility may have been factors.
“Right now it's a massive search,” said Jim Amormino, spokesman for the Orange County Sheriff's Department.
Hogland was accompanied by a man and a woman in the plane, Amormino said. Their identities have not been released.
Hogland's fiancee first reported the missing plane to the Coast Guard at 10:30 p.m. The Coast Guard Sector in Los Angeles-Long Beach then issued an emergency broadcast and launched a helicopter to search the waters. At 12:15 a.m., the Sheriff's Department was also contacted by a family member of one of the passengers.
Authorities did not receive any communication with the plane while it was in the air, Amormino said.
The Coast Guard and Harbor Patrol spent the predawn hours today doing grid searches in the pouring rain, scouring the ocean for any sign of the missing plane and its passengers.
Investigators have also verified that the male passenger had checked in to a South County hotel before the flight. Deputies searched the room but did not find him. His vehicle was found parked at John Wayne Airport.
“Right now, we don't know a lot,” Amormino said.
According to Federal Aviation Administration records, the 1983 plane is owned by SkyBlue USA, an air-touring company based in Dana Point.
According to FAA records, it is the only aircraft registered to the Dana Point company.
In the SkyBlue USA Web site, the company lists tours of the Orange County and San Diego coastlines, as well as Catalina Island. The company is owned by Hogland, who was certified as a private pilot in October 20, 2008, according to FAA records.
In October, a man and two women died in a fiery plane crash just after taking off from Santa Catalina Island's tiny Airport in the Sky. The husband of one of the women managed to pull himself from the wreckage and survived.
Ten people have died in plane crashes after taking off or landing at Catalina Island over the past five years, according to accident databases from the National Transportation Safety Board.
Catalina's small runway is whittled out of the side of a mountain with steep cliffs on either side, making it a difficult spot to take off and land. There are no air traffic controllers.

No Survivors in Catalina Island Plane Crash

Updated 11:18 AM PST, Fri, Feb 6, 2009
Related Topics: Stephanie Young | U.S. Coast Guard

LOS ANGELES -- The wreckage of a small plane that took off from Santa Catalina Island with three people aboard was found on the island Friday, but none of the three people aboard survived the crash, according to the Los Angeles County Fire Department.

The wreckage was found about 10:30 a.m., said county fire Capt. Mike Brown.
Mark Hogland, the pilot of the Bonanza aircraft with tail number N66819, had last been seen leaving the island with two passengers about 4:50 p.m. Thursday, said U.S. Coast Guard Lt. j.g. Stephanie Young.

Sheriff's Sgt. John Hudson of the Avalon Station said searchers in aircraft spotted the wreckage on the west side of the island. He said the plane apparently crashed and burned shortly after takeoff.
The names of the dead were not immediately confirmed.
The plane was scheduled to land at John Wayne Airport in Orange County about 5:10 p.m. Thursday but never arrived, prompting Hogland's fiance to notify authorities at 10:30 p.m., Young said.

A Coast Guard rescue helicopter was dispatched from Air Station Los Angeles and began a search, which was expanded to include other aircraft, along with the Coast Guard cutter Halibut and personnel from Bay Watch Avalon, and the county fire department and sheriff's department.
The cause of the crash was under investigation.

There was really bad weather yesterday during the time the plane crashed. One thing is for sure, we don't get much bad weather here, but when the weather comes our way it is usually pretty rough. i was coming in a couple of hours before the time the crash took place and the weather was really rough. Not much in terms of icing but plenty of turbulence down at the lower levels.

Huh. A tour plane operated by a low time PPL? Did I read that right?

I believe the operator of the airplane was looking for low time pilots several months back. I sure hope a low time new hire didn't get into something that they shouldn't really have been out it in. The owner and the operator was listed as the both being from Dana Point. If an owner wants to be stupid and ball up their airplane its hard to stop them.

I think it says the plane was owned by a tour company, which does not mean in itself that a tour was being flown.

And the plane was flown by the owner of the tour company...but again, that doesn't necessarily mean a for-hire tour was being flown.

Here's the website:

http://www.skyblue-usa.com/

There's probably not much point in filling out the feedback form at this point...

Trapper John

That website is about as "holding out" as it gets -- was this operation on a 135 cert? We fly to catalina too, and we're very careful to make sure it's a dual-instruction situation, with mandatory logbooks and entries, as well as someone controlling the aircraft.

The departure of 4:50 is a bummer, since the airport closes at 5pm. Clearly the extra $25 to overnight would have been money well spent -- and yeah, the weather was changing rapidly around that time last night. I feel for the pressure this guy was under, but some rotten decisioning IMO.

How hard is it to get a pop-up (or full release even) from Avalon? I can't imagine the king in the tower would've prevented them leaving slightly after 5pm if they were IFR...

RIP.

i just heard from someone who knew him that he made left tfc instead of right and in ifr hit the highest point of the island. very sad,the passingers were tourists.:nonod:

i found out that he only flew clients when his normal pilot couldn't make it.he was indeed was not a commercial pilot. heard he called his wife before he left and told her he didn't feel comfortable leaving in the conditions.once again very sad!!

And the plane was flown by the owner of the tour company...but again, that doesn't necessarily mean a for-hire tour was being flown.

Here's the website:

http://www.skyblue-usa.com/

There's probably not much point in filling out the feedback form at this point...

Trapper John

i just heard from someone who knew him that he made left tfc instead of right and in ifr hit the highest point of the island. very sad,the passingers were tourists.:nonod:

i found out that he only flew clients when his normal pilot couldn't make it.he was indeed was not a commercial pilot.

:mad3:

*counts to 10*
:mad3::mad3::mad3:

*explodes*
<rant>WHY WHY WHY do people do this crap??? If you're not a commercial pilot, YOU DO NOT FLY COMMERCIAL AIR TOURS. PERIOD. You're not qualified and you make ALL of us look bad when you inevitably **** up.

heard he called his wife before he left and told her he didn't feel comfortable leaving in the conditions.once again very sad!!

GAAAAAAAHHH!!! :mad3::mad3::mad3::mad3::mad3: Then DON'T FRICKIN' LEAVE IN THOSE CONDITIONS, YOU IDIOT! Not even on your own! And certainly don't take innocent pax with you!

People who pull this kind of crap are the reason we have too many stupid regulations.

</rant>

(and yes, this is directed at Doofus Deadman, not you Ted!)

Kent, as heartless as your words may come across, unfortunately they are true.

Not heartless. Succinct. We can feel very bad for a pilot and his family, not to mention his clueless passengers and their families, while still recognizing that the pilot acted in an idiotic way. He did NOT have the level of professionalism required of a commercial pilot if he expressed concern about the safety of the flight to his wife and then launched anyways!

How hard could it be to make the flight. After all he owned the airplane. Plus it was a Bonanza at that. Sounds like the guy had the same attitude that most private pilots that get themselves into this kind of trouble do. Its just too bad that he took other people with him when he did it.

How hard could it be to make the flight.
Oh, I respect him for realizing that his skills weren't up to the task of the flight, and I have no problem with that! My problem is his ignoring that realization and launching anyway, with or without passengers. Though carrying paying passengers puts it into a whole 'nother ballpark!:mad3:

Oh, I respect him for realizing that his skills weren't up to the task of the flight, and I have no problem with that! My problem is his ignoring that realization and launching anyway, with or without passengers. Though carrying paying passengers puts it into a whole 'nother ballpark!:mad3:

I was being sarcastic. The guy was an idiot. He doubted his skills yet he went anyways. Excellent.

Not heartless. Succinct. We can feel very bad for a pilot and his family, not to mention his clueless passengers and their families, while still recognizing that the pilot acted in an idiotic way. He did NOT have the level of professionalism required of a commercial pilot if he expressed concern about the safety of the flight to his wife and then launched anyways!

Correction: I feel very bad for the pilot's family, his passengers, and their families. I do not feel bad for the pilot in the least. He pulled a stupid, illegal stunt. Suicide by airplane, but he took two pax and an airplane with him. Why should I feel bad for the pilot? :dunno: :no:

*counts to 10*

*explodes*
<rant>WHY WHY WHY do people do this crap??? If you're not a commercial pilot, YOU DO NOT FLY COMMERCIAL AIR TOURS. PERIOD. You're not qualified and you make ALL of us look bad when you inevitably **** up.

GAAAAAAAHHH!!! :mad3::mad3::mad3::mad3::mad3: Then DON'T FRICKIN' LEAVE IN THOSE CONDITIONS, YOU IDIOT! Not even on your own! And certainly don't take innocent pax with you!

People who pull this kind of crap are the reason we have too many stupid regulations.

</rant>

Because we are human.......

Ten people have died in plane crashes after taking off or landing at Catalina Island over the past five years, according to accident databases from the National Transportation Safety Board.
Catalina's small runway is whittled out of the side of a mountain with steep cliffs on either side, making it a difficult spot to take off and land. There are no air traffic controllers.

When I read this I looked at the NTSB web site and could find any evidence of 10 fatalities in the last 5 years. Where does the media get their information----

Paul
N1431A
KSDM

When I read this I looked at the NTSB web site and could find any evidence of 10 fatalities in the last 5 years. Where does the media get their information----

Paul
N1431A
KSDM

Haven't looked at all of them but this was a quick and dirty search back to 2000. Some might have "Catalina" in them as a passing reference.

Preliminary
Preliminary
10/20/2008
Avalon, CA
MOONEY M20J
N201EN
Fatal(3)

Preliminary
Preliminary
5/24/2008
Avalon, CA
Aerospatiale AS-350-D
N67GE
Fatal(3)

Probable Cause
Factual ,
Probable Cause

9/7/2005
2/26/2007
Avalon, CA
Cessna 172RG
N9636B
Fatal(2)

Probable Cause
Factual ,
Probable Cause

8/31/2005
5/29/2007
Avalon, CA
Avions Robin R.2160
N216RN
Fatal(1)

Probable Cause
Factual ,
Probable Cause

12/19/2004
2/28/2006
La Mirada, CA
Cessna 182P
N9187G
Fatal(2)

Probable Cause
Factual ,
Probable Cause

12/24/2003
10/27/2005
Avalon, CA
Piper PA-34-200T
N3747U
Fatal(5)

Probable Cause
Factual ,
Probable Cause

2/21/2003
10/3/2006
Dana Point, CA
EVERETT BD-10
N7FF
Fatal(1)

Probable Cause
Factual ,
Probable Cause

8/2/2002
2/28/2006
AVALON, CA
Beech 58TC
N2102L
Fatal(2)

Probable Cause
Factual ,
Probable Cause

2/15/2001
3/30/2004
Long Beach, CA
Cessna 152
N68763
Fatal(4)

Probable Cause
Factual ,
Probable Cause

2/15/2001
3/30/2004
Long Beach, CA
Cessna 172N
N4686G
Fatal(4)

*counts to 10*

*explodes*

</rant>

Kent, Please do not keep repressing your feelings like this. Holding all that in can hurt you and do damage to your heart. Let it out buddy!! :eek::eek:

Like someone's signature says: "Stupid Kills, But Not Enough to Help"

The pilot's departure path closely matched the missed approach procedure, but would have needed to have been commenced well to the east of the airport and and above the mda. My thought is that the pilot had the approach plate clipped to his yoke and just figured he would fly that.

What's really tragic is that departing straight out from the airport in a few seconds you will be 1,600 feet above the water with no obstructions this side of China.

Had they spent the night it would have involved getting a taxi back to Avalon and looking for rooms etc. It was of course the reasonable thing to do. It was a terrible day to fly out to the island and then weather got worse.

The FAR's violated would fill a bathtub. However, in the end the upscale hotel whose staff referred the guests to the service may end up with the bulk of the damages. The male pax was in the midst of a sticky divorce so the wife probably go all the assets but not the income .

Back