missing 172 in Utah

Quote deleted. Oddly enough, I had opened this thread when your post was still there. I left it open all day, doing other things. Hours after you deleted the comments, I made my post with the quote at 12:45 AM this morning and then went to bed.

So I didn't realize you had requested the deletion of the part I quoted until this afternoon.

I didn't intend to circumvent your deletion.

Last edited:
Quote deleted. Oddly enough, I had opened this thread when your post was still there. I left it open all day, doing other things. Hours after you deleted the comments, I made my post with the quote at 12:45 AM this morning and then went to bed.

So I didn't realize you had requested the deletion of the part I quoted until this afternoon.

I didn't intend to circumvent your deletion.
I figured it was something like that. Thanks for deleting it.

Not to change the subject, probably already has 3-4 times, but when we gonna see some more of your work Jack?
Haven't had much lately! I've got a couple of guys lined up, but the weather hasn't cooperated.

Night VFR can be as safe as day VFR if the proper preparations are done. I do night VFR trips in mountainous area (not in single engine) but I know what the minimum altitudes I can be at to stay away from the mountain tops. Sounds like that instructor was very low time and thought he was being helpful.
I agree with this up to a point. If you are properly prepared and fly right you can avoid CFIT. It's when something goes wrong and for some reason you have to make an off airport landing that the difference is, well, "like night and day." I read some arguments years ago about the pros and cons of using landing lights when landing off airport. I thought the best one was "turn it on, if you don't like what you see, turn it back off."

Sometimes bad things happen even when all pre-flight has been perfect (forecasts aren't always correct).

I once flew the long 12 minutes over to the main airport for night currency with computer Duats and FSS briefs indicating there'd be absolutely no wind or winds light and variable. They were until after the 3rd stop-n-go ... then things got ugly on #4. ON crosswind turn the wind/wave coming over the mountain rolled me to 90* at 600 feet AGL. Flew back to my field and winds were already 40G55 direct crosswind, flew to the next city up the road (40 miles away with calm winds) and landed at 11pm. Went to sleep and flew back at 6am in calm wind. I've had other exciting night flights returning from long XC flights to my home area. We don't get clouds in my area, so altitude is your friend if it gets unforecast windy.

If you don't mind, would you tell what you did at the point where the wind rolled you 90* at 600 AGL?
You kind of "yatta-yatta'ed" that part and I would really like to hear how you corrected and what happened to get back to safe flight.

As a low time student, I notice my mental list of "things not to do" and "what to do when a freak situation arises" is a bit larger than my training on "what to do". Not sure that is good or not for me at this stage, but I am interested in recovery in situations like yours.

As a low time student, I notice my mental list of "things not to do" and "what to do when a freak situation arises" is a bit larger than my training on "what to do". Not sure that is good or not for me at this stage, but I am interested in recovery in situations like yours.
Take an upset recovery course. Once you know how to upright your plane from any situation, your anxiety will go down. I decided to do this probably 20 years ago and I fell in love with aerobatics. Even if you don't love it, you'll know what to do in such a situation. For example, being rolled hard to the left, I'm going to use a lot of right rudder. I had a student friend of mine fly with me the other day and didn't let him touch the yoke at all during stalls. I handled stalling the plane and getting the nose down, had him pick up the dropped wing with just rudder. He now feels a lot more comfortable doing stalls.

If you don't mind, would you tell what you did at the point where the wind rolled you 90* at 600 AGL? You kind of "yatta-yatta'ed" that part and I would really like to hear how you corrected and what happened to get back to safe flight.

I fixed my attitude ;) Am sure there'll be an expert along to correct me, stall recovery ... resetting (unloading) to a few degrees below horizon (not AI - outside horizon). Was ready to aileron roll all the way around if necessary, but I exited the wind blast coming off the mountain and leveled wings a few seconds later. Potential stall at 600AGL if reaction is slow. Stall-spin would be unrecoverable at that altitude. Basic power on stall scenario out of the PTS, with a LOT more than the 20* bank on the test.

Take an upset recovery course. Once you know how to upright your plane from any situation, your anxiety will go down.

Did the upset recovery course a week after with a CFI that owns a Pitts ... well worth the money.

Back