Missed one on my written...$&@!! ADF question...

Hey, I write in cursive sometimes! And I just broke 20 years old to boot.

Where did you learn it? I ask out of curiosity since our local public schools have dropped it from the curriculum.

One of my grandfathers had absolutely beautiful penmanship. (The railroad telegrapher.) He also demanded his daughters practice regularly so mom and her sisters do also. Mine is relatively legible chicken scratch compared to theirs. Karen had all semblance of normal handwriting beat out of her in Nursing school. When she started leaving me notes in medical shorthand at home I had to pick up a bit of it in offset to understand what she was saying. ;)

Where did you learn it? I ask out of curiosity since our local public schools have dropped it from the curriculum.

One of my grandfathers had absolutely beautiful penmanship. (The railroad telegrapher.) He also demanded his daughters practice regularly so mom and her sisters do also. Mine is relatively legible chicken scratch compared to theirs. Karen had all semblance of normal handwriting beat out of her in Nursing school. When she started leaving me notes in medical shorthand at home I had to pick up a bit of it in offset to understand what she was saying. ;)

I'm only a few years older than him and cursive was something that was required for me in middle school (New Jersey).

Karen had all semblance of normal handwriting beat out of her in Nursing school. When she started leaving me notes in medical shorthand at home I had to pick up a bit of it in offset to understand what she was saying. ;)

Back in high school I learned to print very neatly quite rapidly as a draftsman for a sheetmetal shop (summer/weekend job). Somewhere between the MS & PhD that just became "print quite rapidly." It's easy to read my writing after a 15 minute orientation...

Something to listen to the ball game on if it's working and an anchor for a small boat in your pond if it isn't.:D

I replaced my ADF with XM Radio so I could continue to listen to the ball games.

I flew Army helicopters IFR with the only instrument being an ADF (AH-1's and AH-64a (Early versions)...we were backed up by a PAR. Seems almost stupid today but they worked...unless you were in the middle of an electrical storm on the approach...

Ah yeah, that's what I'm tawkin bout .

Partial panel fixed-card ADF with tail roter failure and hydraulic failure.
Good ol days at Mother Rucker ...

In school...sometime. I can't remember what grade, but I went into private school starting in 4th grade. I've heard of it being dropped, so I must be part of the last bunch to learn it. I won't pretend that it's impeccably neat cursive or anything. In fact, I'm sure some of the letters have morphed into more of a James-script or something. But it's definitely cursive, not print, and if you can read cursive, you can read my writing. It's way faster to write that way, so in some of my engineering classes I'll flip into cursive if we're taking copious amounts of written notes. It's less tiring too.

Took my ifr ride just after pulling my adf out and before having an ifr GPS installed... Timing is everything.

Took my ifr ride just after pulling my adf out and before having an ifr GPS installed... Timing is everything.

I took my ADF out and had the IFR GPS installed before my IFR check ride.
I think that's even better timing.

For you wanna-be jet jockeys who think adf is a boat anchor, stick your head in a new G-V or global express and see what's in the panel.

Back